kids in Florida tap rooms

Discussion in 'US - South' started by lysergicdream, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andyctree

andyctree Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2010 North Carolina

There is a outdoor bar in Asheville that yelled at me for having my kids more than an arms length away, and but had no problem that I stepped in a massive pile of dog shit. You could say that I have yet to go back to this establishment since.

2. baconmcnuggets

baconmcnuggets Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2013 Florida

For a day or so after this thread went up, I was terrified it was going to remain a nice courteous question-and-answer thread without people opinion-barfing all over it and turning it into a preachy mess. Crisis averted!!!

mateoloco, oso4life, montman and 2 others like this.
  3. andyctree

Thanks for your opinion.

4. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2013 Florida

Says people with no kids..

5. baconmcnuggets

baconmcnuggets Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2013 Florida

I'm so curious which place this was....

6. montman

montman Devotee (433) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

haha. Yeah an OP asks normal regional specific question about Florida taprooms and then a polite gentleman from a different state than in question, tells him kids should not go to taprooms and instead what to do with OP's vacation.
    The internet in a nutshell.

7. HoptimusPrimeIPA

HoptimusPrimeIPA Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 Florida

I knew exactly how this thread was going to play out before even opening it. I <3 you beeradvocate.com/community

8. Hopzilla

Hopzilla Initiate (103) Dec 4, 2013 Florida
    Trader

It was actually a Chuck E. Cheese.

maxson924 likes this.
  9. SkinnyT

SkinnyT Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2013 Florida

Going out drinking to breweries and then driving around with your kids seems very safe. I avoid breweries that tend to have a lot of kids. It really ruins the whole experience when a bunch of kids are running around screaming.

Lare453 and powpig2002 like this.
  10. NoMoreBeerBelly

NoMoreBeerBelly Initiate (144) Dec 2, 2009 North Carolina

On this note, parents should not allowed to go out to dinner and have a beer with their overpriced burger at Red Robin...because that wouldn't be very safe. Unless the parent is a total f-tard, they aren't having one too many and driving their kids around.

And WTF brewery are you people going where there are "kids running around screaming"? As a parent for the last 8 years that has visited many breweries, I can say I have seen this exactly one time...at OBX Brewing Station...on their outside kids playground. I have seen WAY more drunk annoying a$$hats at breweries than "annoying kids".

11. MrExit23

MrExit23 Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2014 North Carolina

Right, because a brewery that does not serve food is the same as a restaurant. The stretching here is kind of a joke. "By that argument, parents should be able to bring children with them anywhere and everywhere..." How dare people not want to be in the same vicinity as my precious children?!?!?

Sorry, but that's bullsh!t, or else you are so child-blind from your own rugrats that you have no idea what an annoyance your own children likely are. I see this often - too often - and others have noted it here. But it isn't surprising that a parent is out of touch with how annoying children are to others. You don't see your children or other children that way. So you don't care.

I mean, just admit that rather than put up these pathetic arguments that try to either A. Argue that "by that logic" children shouldn't be allowed anywhere" or B. purport that children are never an annoyance in any brewery in any location anywhere. It's intellectually vapid discourse.

Lare453 and MikeMoriendi like this.
  12. Lapalou

Lapalou Disciple (339) Dec 21, 2014 Florida
    Trader

To answer the original question, yes Florida allows kids in Tap rooms. There isn't much in Orlando yet. In the Tampa area, Green Bench and 3 Daughters offer a family friendly atmosphere, with entertainment, 3 daughters even has a mini golf setup outside. Their beer isn't great but the place is fun. They have bands on the weekends, but once a month it's during Saturday afternoon which is more appropriate for kids.

As for the other discussion on here, who cares. Enjoy your trip and hope you find some good beer.

rightcoast7 and lysergicdream like this.
  13. Bartos

Bartos Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2013 Florida

CCB doesn't have much in the way of entertainment for children, but the staff is very welcoming to children (and dogs for that matter)

lysergicdream likes this.
  14. BA-Landers

BA-Landers Initiate (0) May 2, 2014 California

This thread was actually pretty helpful. I'm in Tampa for work and brought the wife and daughter along for a long weekend here and Orlando. I'm really surprised at some of the animosity towards kids at breweries. I think it's really about the timing and behavior of the kid/parents. Is Friday or Saturday night good? Probably not. Your kids should be in bed anyways. A weekend afternoon? Sure go for it as long as you're watching your child and making sure that they are behaving. It should be a place where all are welcome so we can actually Advocate Beer. It's not your local dive bar filling station for getting hammered.

Zhillsgator, Bartos and lysergicdream like this.
  15. andyctree

If you have such a difficult time with kids at breweries then you should really stop coming to Asheville.

16. Dactrius

Dactrius Poo-Bah (1,745) Apr 23, 2012 Netherlands Antilles
    Society Trader

Coming from Wisconsin this whole conversation is amusing to me, in WI if the kids are with their parents they can drink, so obviously they are allowed in breweries/bars.

I never would've even considered that kids wouldn't be allowed in a bar, although I do realize most states don't let them pound down a porter with their dad.

SILVER and lysergicdream like this.
  17. SFC21

SFC21 Crusader (780) Jan 31, 2010 Florida

"How dare people bring their children in the same vicinity as my precious beer?!?!?" That's what you sound like.

Look, I understand that kids can be annoying, especially for people who don't have them (I have two little ones). But honestly, this is the brewery's decision (assuming compliance with local law, of course). If they want to make their place kid friendly and inviting to families, that's the market they are catering to. If you don't enjoy it, don't go to that brewery.

18. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2013 Florida

Hell, I'd take a crapping/screaming kid over some annoying buzzed know-it-all beer snob talking my ear off about how he had some fantastic beer in Europe that I could never get.

19. lysergicdream

lysergicdream Aspirant (236) May 13, 2010 Colorado

Looking forward to this summer's trip to WI. i guess i can skip asking this question in that forum in a few months!

20. MrExit23

That's because that is exactly how I feel. Beer and children don't mix. I think I have the laws of society and good taste on my side, but I'll leave this conversation since so many parents seem to enjoy integrating their children into their beer drinking activities. It's unfortunate, but I rightly have no leverage. Breweries do make their tap rooms family friendly for some reason, because they often have children themselves, and the act of opening a brewery is inherently eschewing norms... and because you CAN have your cake and eat it too... and let's go camping, etc.

In reality, as is apparent here, I don't like children. Their voice are like nails on a chalkboard to me. And I understand I am a part of the minority. While I think it makes sense that you wouldn't go to a bar with a child, so why is a taproom an altogether different experience, I understand that families are invited in. I just wish they would select themselves out, which I know is irrational. I don't think I'm alone in feeling this way, but people who generally dislike children are painted - as I have been here - as somehow crazily trying to change the world to their world view... as if there is no place where children shouldn't be warmly welcomed. I'm taking one for the team in this thread, and getting pummeled as expected.

I do have a dog, and I love her very much, but I understand I can't bring my dog anywhere I please. Including many breweries. I wouldn't assume that my dog could go with me anywhere, though if I was invited to bring my dog somewhere and someone objected, I would likely have a similar response. Still, I wouldn't hate that person's point of view. I understand dogs aren't everyone's cup of tea.

#60 MrExit23, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
    Lare453 likes this.
  21. BlumBeer

BlumBeer Initiate (0) May 17, 2012 Florida

Many kids are conceived after Daddy spends a day/night drinking in a tap room....at least let the little guy see where inspiration for his life came from....

22. MrExit23

RKP1967 thinks no one ever gets drunk at tap rooms. And if they do, they should be ashamed.

Lare453 likes this.
  23. lysergicdream

you should make a point of asking in a regional forum before traveling if dogs are permitted in tasting rooms. it would be the smart thing to do before visiting

montman likes this.
  24. SILVER

SILVER Initiate (196) Jan 3, 2007 Florida

Hey, don't forget tequila. It has a lot to do with it also!

BlumBeer likes this.
  25. SILVER

Who said anything about being drunk? It just lowers the inhibitions, if you may, which is an all together different scenario.

26. MrExit23

If I was traveling with my dog, I probably wouldn't think to try to bring her to breweries. Sometimes a guy has to sacrifice for the greater good of the family...

Lare453 likes this.
  27. SILVER

" but I'll leave this conversation since so many parents seem to enjoy integrating their children into their beer drinking activities."

Oops, it seems you pulled a Colombo, again. Now that dude on TV was really annoying when he would say he was leaving and popped back on scene for one more remark.
    Your preaching has nothing to do with the OP, as has been stated in a few other posts, so get over it, Colombo!

28. andyctree

You entered a thread with parents talking about tap rooms that are kid friendly and inserted your opinion as if any of us parents really care if you dislike our children or not. And now you are the victim because of it? If you don't like children, fine, but don't come into a discussion about children in breweries and tell everyone they shouldn't be there because you are going to get "painted" as being d-bag.

29. LADEDA

LADEDA Disciple (352) Jul 29, 2014 Florida

Kids. You can talk and talk 'til your face is blue. Kids. But they still do just what they want to do. Why can't they be like we were; perfect in every way. What's the matter with kids today?

30. SILVER

^^I don't know if you're being funny or what. I reads that way, though. I've seen many kids with their parents at a few of the craft beer places I go to and they've always have been well behaved. I think that's due to he parents themselves. Not a bad thing I think as it teaches how to behave in a public place that serves alcohol. I see and have had to put up with young men of barely drinking age who have no idea. Clearly a result of "faulty, early toilet training".

31. Coldsnack

Coldsnack Aspirant (242) Oct 29, 2012 Florida

So being taken to a "public place that serves alcohol" when you're five teaches you how to act at said place when you're 21 and drinking??? And 21 year olds who act like idiots at a bar because their parents didn't train them how to act in bars when they were small children??? Out of all the stupid shit in this thread, that may take the cake.

32. SILVER

I beg your pardon sir, but that is what I have observed in my life.
    Getting personal with me doesn't give your opinion any validity. Not many people call me stupid to my face. As a matter of Fact is it hasn't happened in a long long time, as I can recall. Maybe that makes you feel "special".
    But still, I stand by what I said, as that is what I have observed. It's not how to act in bars, but how to act around alcohol.
    They are probably taught at home also, although that is against the law which something I'm sure you have never done.

Lare453 likes this.
  33. Coldsnack

Coldsnack Aspirant (242) Oct 29, 2012 Florida

So in your life you have observed that children who are taken to bars act better in bars when they are adults? Interesting. I have absolutely no problem saying anything to anyone's face at any time, and yes, I do feel special. You didn't clearly articulate your last point, what exactly are you accusing me of?

34. jloomis

jloomis Aspirant (293) Jan 6, 2010 Florida
    Trader

What the hell has this thread devolved into? Seriously good kids are cool, bad kids are bad same goes for adults. Can we be done?

deleted_user_757197 and Hopzilla like this.
  35. MrExit23

Silver is old.

36. SILVER

Yes I am. I've been around a lot also.
    There you go again, Colombo!

37. SILVER

Nothing at all.

38. lysergicdream

at this point, i am sorry i asked. thanks to all the informative people who actually live in the state that i am planning to visit. as for the rest of you who are just throwing out opinions, well, i guess that's what the internet is for.

baconmcnuggets likes this.
  39. MrExit23

Aww, don't be such a chump andyctree. These forums are designed to engage in just the sort of conversation we had here. I know you may think yourself some sort of forum enforcement, but trying to legislate the Internet is a fool's errand.

I think we've learned a lot in this thread. You and others basically don't care about how others feel about your kids. I knew this going in but it's good to have it exposed. I'm content to move on - are you? I bet not.

Lare453 likes this.
  40. andyctree

How am I enforcing the internet exactly? I'm just responding to your sob story about why no one cares about your opinion.

Thank you Mr. Selflessness! Your opinion about children in a brewery I am sure is about the well-being of our children, and has nothing to do with you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.