Kill shelves in the real world

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by dj14365, Apr 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dj14365

dj14365 Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2015 Alabama

So I'm in college and a popular thing to do is keep your empty bottles of booze around as a badge of honor or something. I to partake in this, yet with a slightly different twist. I keep an empty of all the beers I have drank, but I do it more as a reminder of what all I've tried, and not to show off that I drink more than I probably should. Also I think it looks pretty cool.

I was wondering if people out in the real world do anything along these lines as well, and if so how impressive is their "shelf"?

Over the past 7ish months (since I've been 21) mines grown to about 50-60 bottles. (No duplicates, although a few are my roommates contributions). I can post a few pictures if anyone is interested.

HopBroker and warrendietrich2001 like this.
  2. MadeInTheMitten

MadeInTheMitten Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2015 Michigan

Did this with liquor in my teens, lol.

ivorycannon likes this.
  3. musicman7070

musicman7070 Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey

I used to do exactly what you're talking about, but my collection got so massive, I had bottles all over my room as well as about 7 or 8 boxes of empty bottles. It got to be too much, so I threw out about 75% of them and only saved the "memorable" ones, like ones that blew me away for instance. If you're able to manage all of yours, more power to you!

#3 musicman7070, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  4. dank203

dank203 Devotee (497) May 21, 2012 New Jersey

I have no space for bottles. caps on the other hand...lost count a while ago. all unique

5. musicman7070

musicman7070 Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey

I'm doing that instead. Much easier to manage!

nickmantia and dank203 like this.
  6. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Meyvn (1,403) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Fill an empty beer bottle with water, drop the inside of a highlighter in it and then buy a blacklight.

HopBroker and HoppedChef84 like this.
  7. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (600) Mar 28, 2009 California

I've started a "memorable" empty bottle collection about 5 times. I start then it grows and I think what's the point? Then I start and build shelves, then more shelves then think what's the point. Then....ok you get the point.

8. wiscokid920

wiscokid920 Disciple (350) Apr 27, 2011 Wisconsin

I did the same until the volume got out of hand. I do have every unique bottle cap and every label I managed to salvage without destroying of just about every bottle I purchased. I plan on making a giant collage out of the labels and making a bar top out of all the caps once I get my man cave/home bar

HoppedChef84 likes this.
  9. Jeffreysan

Jeffreysan Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2013 Maryland

I totally did this in college and in the few years there after. Then after a few apartment moves, I asked myself: "why the hell am I paking up and moving empty bottles of been and liquor? How stupid is that?" So I stopped keeping dead soldiers. Now if I want to keep track of the beers I've had, I add the review to my beer book, which are eventually added to my reviews here in BA, I keep one bottle cap of every brewery/unique beer cap and check the beers into Untapped.

Believe me, once you start moving to various apartments, you're going to learn quick how much of a pain I'm the ass to pack and move those empty bottles are!:wink:

In the mean-time, enjoy keeping those bottles around!:sunglasses:

duceswild likes this.
  10. Beef_Curtains

Beef_Curtains Devotee (471) Oct 14, 2013 Ohio

I did it for a while then threw them all out when I moved. I have started a beer wall of fame though where I keep the bottle of anything I find exceptional or just unusual

11. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Poo-Bah (2,233) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

I collect beer reviews. It saves shelf space, and that's why i love Beer Advocate. I collected certain bottles at one time but threw them out ... I'd rather collect glassware.

Coronaeus and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  12. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,461) Sep 18, 2010 Washington

I've saved thousands of labels, caps, and corks, but I recycle all the bottles and cans. I do have several grocery bags of bottles in the garage that I just haven't gotten to yet. No idea what I'm going to do with any of this stuff, but just keeping the labels seems a lot more manageable. Square footage is expensive in Seattle.

HopBroker likes this.
  13. dank203

dank203 Devotee (497) May 21, 2012 New Jersey

that's cool

14. TheOC1987

TheOC1987 Initiate (40) Feb 18, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Trader

untappd, memorable ones I'll add a picture to the check-in.

dddddddd, bryanole27 and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  15. dj14365

I gotta admit this sounds like it would be pretty sweet. I think that the new ruination bottle would be particularly cool since it's such a cool bottle to begin with and it doesn't have a paper label covering most of it.

Also I can see how the bottles could get unwieldy fast. I like the what a few people did with saving labels, at some point I'll probably shift my collection in that direction. Since I've already burned through all the space on top of my cabinets.

Oh and Musicman and the few people who brought up his avatar, I'm a big punk fan (see NOFX album art as avatar) and dropkick murphys kick ass.

musicman7070 likes this.
  16. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,492) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

OP, if you don't have the space, then you should be saying to yourself. "Don't let me get started." It will become an illness to the tune of 1,984 of them (around 1,300 on display).

[​IMG]

HopBroker, jermsumm, corew and 4 others like this.
  17. dj14365

That....Is....Awesome

18. dwmetsfan13

dwmetsfan13 Initiate (175) Jul 22, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I started off saving bottles of rarer beers / those with more interesting labels, but ran out of space. Now I remove the labels and finally yesterday got around to making a poster collage with them.

19. lalancette7

lalancette7 Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2015 Vermont

I started a bottle collection that has one of each bottle/can I've tried. I started last November and just hit 150 bottles. I have a knee wall built into my basement foundation so I line them up on that.

20. Bubbawilly88

Bubbawilly88 Disciple (306) Jul 18, 2014 California

I was doing the same thing as many of you and quickly ran out of space as many people have noted. Now I have a shelf of four bottles. To get the honor of finding a place on the shelf, the beer has to be one of the top 4 I've had. Current lineup includes:
    Bourbon County Stout
    Speedway stout: barrel-aged with Vietnamese coffee
    Beer geek speedway stout collaboration
    Sucre

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  21. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,344) Sep 24, 2007 Kyrgyzstan
    Trader

I had to open this thread just to find out what a "kill shelf" was.

22. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Poo-Bah (3,422) Dec 13, 2009 New York

i used to save empties but got out of control fast. now i save labels. the only bottles that i left in tact were the mega whales that i was lucky enough to get to try and get the bottle (DQ, Dave, M, Wooden Hell...and i save all the darkness bottles cause i love that beer and damn silkscreen).

if you gonna save bottles, just make sure you rinse them good cause bugs love empties

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  23. ThePaintedTuba

ThePaintedTuba Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2014 West Virginia

I've held onto a few bottles that I liked and were memorable but with me moving across the country in a couple months, I've cleared it down to just a few choice beers. Mostly hyped stuff like a heady can and a Westy XII bottle.

24. AndyCapper

AndyCapper Initiate (40) May 6, 2015 United Kingdom (England)

Have you considered taking a cell phone photo of each bottle you drink (in situ), labelling the .jpg with the brewery, brand and date, and then discarding/recycling the bottle. That way you get a permanent record of the beers you've sampled and your storage space problems are eliminated. Personally I would also save the caps :grinning:

25. Caillou

Caillou Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2014 California

If y'all want to get rid of ANY 22oz+ bottles that have painted on labels I'll take them off of your hands! Doing some bottle cutting and could use some more bottles. PM me. =)

26. Monkeyknife

Monkeyknife Poo-Bah (3,052) Jan 8, 2007 Missouri
    Society Trader

Some of the bottles (mostly bombers and large bottles) I've held on to.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jermsumm, ravot, cjgiant and 7 others like this.
  27. LittleDog

LittleDog Initiate (144) Dec 19, 2014 Texas
    Trader

I save labels of remarkably good beers (when I can salvage them). I tack them to a cork board. It's about 3 labels thick now.

If the bottles can be recapped, well, I clean them and use them for my homebrew. Problem is, my son was born more than 6 months ago and I haven't brewed since then. I continued to drink beer, so I purchased more commercial beer. I keep cleaning the bottles and storing them.

Anyone in the Austin area that needs bottles for homebrew, let me know. I have way too many and I'll give you 5 gallons worth.

28. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (1,888) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

I used to do with with some of the rare bottles that I drank, or bottles I just wanted to remember. However, I've recently moved and tossed most of them. Its really a space issue for me. Though, I don't put them on "display" I'll keep them in a cabinet or a basement.

Some of those pictures above though. Whoa. Impressive.

29. StayWhatYouAre2

StayWhatYouAre2 Initiate (145) Nov 21, 2010 Wisconsin

I have a collecting problem (see my glassware collection for an example) so I always wanted to keep the "best" bottles from beer I have had. I knew this would grow too large to house so what was the solution? 99 bottles of beer on the wall! I keep my 99 favorite beers I have ever had on display. Doesn't have to be the "rarest." Just the ones I enjoyed the most. If I have one that I want to add I have to take one down. Keeps me in check.

dddddddd and PapaGoose03 like this.
  30. dcbullet

dcbullet Initiate (128) Dec 18, 2013 California

It seems like this would involve adding more dusting to my life, which I don't need.

31. hophugger

hophugger Poo-Bah (1,986) Mar 5, 2014 Virginia

I save the bottles/cans of any beer I have never had and display them on my walls in the "Cave"......What about you ??[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

#31 hophugger, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  32. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (10,368) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri

No. I am working on a bottle cap collection. No display, yet.

33. wordemupg

wordemupg Poo-Bah (4,159) Feb 11, 2009 Alberta (Canada)
    Society Trader

I did it for a little while, you can only do that for so long before you run out of cave:wink:

34. Uconnelmo

Uconnelmo Zealot (532) Jan 2, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

mine is called the wall of shame and its overflowing so i have cases stacked in the abyss

BeerBob and Tripel_Threat like this.
  35. swedishmailman

swedishmailman Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2013 Georgia

I will if it's got cool artwork or it's a bottle I waited a while to drink.

Fox82791 and 2ellas like this.
  36. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,047) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

I can't let go, yup I got em boxed up though... someday they will get a proper display...

WesMantooth and BeerBob like this.
  37. sokol_1993

sokol_1993 Zealot (563) Jul 27, 2014 California
    Trader

I tried to, but as I'm a student, I move house a lot so sadly I had to throw them away :slight_frown:

Do have an up and running cap collection though

[​IMG]

BeerBob and PGD120 like this.
  38. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (4,858) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

39. rab53

rab53 Poo-Bah (2,005) May 1, 2005 Washington

Used to (started in college), but became unfeasible after a while. My feeling nowadays is 'less is more'. I think a handful of bottles on a shelf or mantle is nicer than a visual barrage of labels. Although, I have to admire the wall-mounted 12 oz setup the OP has.

40. loafinaround

loafinaround Aspirant (200) Jul 16, 2011 New York

holy crap no. I'm pro beer but anti-clutter. not even bottle caps. If you entered my house, you wouldn't even be able to tell I'm a beerphile.... unless you enter the garage (where the beer fridge is).

But on the flipside, your display is pretty freakin' awesome.

Mongrel, neurobot01, BeerBob and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.