Killington Vermont Area

Discussion in 'New England' started by Erikjs427, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Erikjs427

Erikjs427 Initiate (15) Jan 13, 2019 New Jersey

Vermont locals,

I’m headed up to Vermont 1/24-1/27 and will be in the Rutland/Killington area. Any local beer shops where I can stock up on some good beer? Preferably Tree house, Alchemist Brewery, Lawson Brewery, and Hill Farmstead.

Thanks,

Erik

2. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Disciple (398) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts

Killington is a bit of a dead zone for the big boy beers last time I looked. You’re an hour or so too far south to get Heady/Lawsons. TH is Brewery only as is HF. The Alchemist beers are the most readily available distributing as far south as Barre. Lawsons is also distributing as well. I’d recommend one if the following - easiest to hardest— stop in White River Junction and get River Roost growlers and hit up the excellent bottle shop next door; RR as good as the big four you mentioned IMO...or head north to Waterbury/Montpelier and hit up Hunger Mountain Coop or the Craft Beer Celler to get Lawsons/Alchemist beers....or go direct to one of the breweries. All have large amounts of beers in cans for take away.Cheers and good luck.

Erikjs427 likes this.
  3. soheadyithurts

soheadyithurts Initiate (110) Jan 4, 2013 Massachusetts

Brewfest beverage in Ludlow or Hops and Barley in Woodstock. Brewfest should have some solid options for you.

Erikjs427 and frozyn like this.
  4. frozyn

frozyn Zealot (577) May 16, 2015 New York
    Premium Trader

Hops and Barley is a good place to stop in. They had Sip of Sunshine last February, so I imagine they may have other Lawson's stuff now that distribution has increased. Lots of other good beer as well, memory is little foggy on the selection.

Erikjs427 likes this.
  5. ajthegreat

ajthegreat Initiate (142) Nov 11, 2010 Vermont

Stop by River Roost in White River Junction on your way up and stock up on cans.

SpauldingSmails and dr_ewvetere like this.
  6. pbrian

pbrian Defender (619) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

I survived this past weekend at Mount Snow on a healthy dose of Zero Gravity Green State Lager and Lost Nation Mosaic IPA. Actually it was more of an unhealthy dose, but you get my point. While southern VT may not get the heavy hitters, there's still plenty of good beer available at just your regular beer shops.

jonphisher likes this.
  7. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,578) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Premium Trader

As others suggested above, Woodstock Hops & Barley is a good spot which is about 20 miles from Killington. You can combine with dinner at Worthy Kitchen which is pretty much next door. They will have Hill Farmstead and Lawson's brews on tap typically (as well as great food and other great beers).

River Roost and the Big Fatty's Crowler pit is also a place you should stop if you are taking I91 to I89 to get to Killington. As others mentioned above, River Roost makes great beer and has cans available to go from time to time. Otherwise fill up some growlers. The Crowler pit in the same parking lot has a great selection of local brews. Make sure to check out he tap list at the attached BBQ restaurant (Big Fatty's). They have a great list that almost always has Lawson's and Hill Farmstead options.

You will be about 1 hour to the new Lawson's facility at Killington. Not sure how much driving around you want to do.

CTHopman likes this.
  8. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (255) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont

For anyone looking to plan a ski weekend at Killington, VT Brewers Assoc. has planned a brewfest for the weekend of Feb. 9th - their 2nd winter edition. Ski/fest combo tix available, as well as fest only.

9. johnbday

johnbday Initiate (69) Apr 20, 2010 Vermont

A little south of the Killington area but Meulmans Craft Draughts is a wonderful beer shop with growler fills; perhaps one of the best curated beer selections in New England.

duchessedubourg likes this.
  10. SpauldingSmails

SpauldingSmails Initiate (131) Sep 11, 2014 Massachusetts

I've also found that Fiddlehead has a bit deeper penetration into the non-Burlington/Montpelier corridor. I've certainly survived a few weekends on that alone.