'King of Beers' duking it out with 'Queen of Beer' in trademark dispute

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by evilcatfish, Aug 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (619) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

2. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (402) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

Panties in a bunch? She sounds real professional...:rolling_eyes:

3. MicTar

MicTar Initiate (0) Jul 20, 2015 Texas

Is AB that insecure with their market share? Wait that was rhetorical

4. Joshmistake

Joshmistake Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2012 Minnesota

I found it funny that in A-B's statement they mention that people might think the "queen of beers" is an A-B beer. Weird that they don't want the average consumer to know they own a bunch of breweries formerly considered "craft"...yet are worried that some average consumer may think this new beer is one of theirs. When did they become so consumed with wanting the consumer to know that something was "theirs"...aka OWNED BY THEM AND BREWED AT THEIR FACILITIES???????

Bieradvocate and 5thOhio like this.
  5. QueenOfBeers

QueenOfBeers Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2015 Virginia

That's strange, I don't remember any fight

swolepeer, MicTar, Kfitch and 2 others like this.
  6. MicTar

MicTar Initiate (0) Jul 20, 2015 Texas

Maybe you had had too many. Or the Queen kicked your arose so bad you have selective amnesia

7. BoneyardBrewer

BoneyardBrewer Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2005 Michigan

Warsteiner has being using this for years "Eine Königin unter den Bieren" ("A Queen amongst Beers")

Geuzedad, evilcatfish and einhorn like this.
  8. akrz47

akrz47 Initiate (151) May 31, 2014 Massachusetts

This is dumb. Not the post, but the fact that someone can be sued over this.

9. Rollzroyce21

Rollzroyce21 Meyvn (1,030) Oct 24, 2009 California

Every beer geek knows that the "queen" title belongs to Orval.

10. Relik

Relik Initiate (107) Apr 20, 2011 Canada (NS)

I would ask any 3 year old the difference between a King and a Queen, pretty sure while similar they describe two different things....but maybe i need to watch more Disney cartoons to be sure.

Lahoi, Reidrover, nlethbridge and 3 others like this.
  11. Homers_Beer_Odyssey

Homers_Beer_Odyssey Initiate (0) Jun 17, 2014 New York

Now that AB devoured Goose Island, best to avoid launching a craft brewery called Duck Island or Turkey Island. The perils of Big Business!

Lucular and Lahoi like this.
  12. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (7,098) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

I immediately thought of this. I always thought it was odd that I hadn't heard about them coming to blows over the slogan.

13. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (619) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

This could make an interesting point of defense for "She." Kind of like, you can't go after us but not them?

Either way, I predict She Beverage doesn't last long in the market place. Most girls I know would laugh at their marketing concept (but hey who knows, they are in California)

RPM3334 likes this.
  14. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,271) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Sue Charlotte, The Queen City. Sometimes intellectual property disputes....well, never mind.

15. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,491) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

And Duke, the Prince of Pilseners, says "WTF about me? I could use some free publicity!"

[​IMG]

16. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Zealot (524) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

I don't know if it's worth suing over, but the "Queen of Beer" is in direct response to "King of Beer."

If you walked up to 100 beer drinkers and asked about the "Queen of Beer" they'd get the correlation to Anheuser.

Again . . . not sure if this is lawsuit worthy.

troygreer likes this.
  17. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

"Rose, whose career background is in marketing and advertising"...

Lady, your logo is just the brand name in hot pink Algerian font.

18. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

Honestly, I don't blame AB this time. It does seem like something that people might think has something to do with them and their brand identity. Sure, maybe it's not THAT big of a deal, but we're talking about AB. They have an entire branch of the company that's just a litigation machine...

19. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

One critical thing to keep in mind about copyrights and trademarks. If the owner doesn't aggressively go after infringements or even apparent infringements that could lead to consumer confusion, they lose their ownership and it becomes generic. Sometimes what matters isn't whether you win or lose but how you play the game.

20. troygreer

troygreer Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

I agree with you. My question is, would she be calling it the Queen of Beer if it weren't for AB? Stating that she has a marketing background shows me that she knows that is exactly the reason she is using that phrase.

But as NickTheGreat said, probably not lawsuit worthy.

21. jesskidden

Society Trader

It's just a humorous slogan meant to jokingly tweak AB and Budweiser. You'd think a small disclaimer would be enough for the largest brewing company in the world.

There's a long tradition of such parody beer slogans - I've seen a few pre-Pro ads which claimed a particular brand was the "Beer that Made Milwaukee Jealous" poking some fun at Schlitz and long time slogan, like this one from a Ballantine bottler's ad in Lebanon, PA in 1906:
    [​IMG]

and Stevens Point used to use the slogan "When your out of Point, you're out of Town" to poke fun at itself and it's small size/very regional distribution by paraphrasing another Schlitz slogan.

Many remember Carling's Tuborg ads playing off the Bud slogan back in the 1970s:
    [​IMG]
    No lawsuits resulted that I recall. :rolling_eyes:

#21 jesskidden, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    Chaz, BJC, Joshmistake and 3 others like this.
  22. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Disciple (306) Apr 20, 2004 Kentucky

Jess, as always, brings the relavent data. I was familiar with the Stevens Point slogan but had no idea it was a parody.

23. jesskidden

Society Trader

Yeah, might be a matter of one's age re: the Schlitz slogan of the late '60s-early '70s (I mean, I can't read or write it without the accompanying "earworm" of the tune - I'm sure YouTube will turn up a few commercials). So, it dates from right before the era when the long time #2 US brewer crashed, was sold to Stroh and the brand all but disappeared, into the discount shelves.
    [​IMG]
    So, it is funny that some remember the Point Special parody more than the original.

24. Brutaltruth

Brutaltruth Poo-Bah (4,120) Mar 22, 2014 Ohio
    Society

Isn't beer kinda a unisex thing?

25. vikinggary28

vikinggary28 Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2014 California

What is a women's beer? Does the bottle have breasts and complains the lawn isn't mowed?

TrojanRB likes this.
  26. Casey3236

Casey3236 Defender (655) Sep 14, 2012 Pennsylvania

I swear this is true: near Wilkes-Barre PA there are two roadside stops next to each other, Burger Queen and Dairy King. I don't believe they have ever been sued.

27. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Disciple (306) Apr 20, 2004 Kentucky

28. busternuggz

busternuggz Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2008 California

Has anyone seen She Beverage's site? The grammar and sexism is almost as bad as the beer descriptions.

There's also no reviews on BA for their beers, even though they were added in 2014. Is this company some kind of prank? Is Banksy their CEO?

29. DocHo11idaze

DocHo11idaze Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2013 California

It comes with an apron and sandwich making guide

30. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Poo-Bah (1,669) Jul 27, 2013 Texas
    Society Trader

Really?

"Her beers are higher in alcohol than many alcoholic drinks that are targeted to female drinkers, and its IPA beer is smoother than many available — qualities women prefer, according to Rose."

Ridiculous

31. chickencoop

chickencoop Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2007 California

we have officially jumped the shark.. shit's going to get a lot worse than this. reminds me of the late 90's with the gimmick crafts.

32. CheapHysterics

CheapHysterics Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

Normally when it's ABInbev against anyone, I root for anyone. This is testing that principle.

33. Dikfour

Dikfour Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2014 Colorado

Brand awareness. This little tiff win or lose is a huge opportunity for She Beverage to capitalize on this unnecessary defensive display from ABInBev. If I were them I'd be talking to anyone who'd listen, try and get on the View and all that crap. Bang their fists about equality and stir up a riot. Really rip into AB and watch as the barrel count rises.

If they can't capitalize on this then they don't deserve to win the copyright claim in the first place. But if they do, someone has to taste this stuff and tell me just how "smooth" their IPA is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.