Kirkland Variety Pack

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by KingBiscuit, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingBiscuit

KingBiscuit Disciple (373) May 30, 2005 Illinois

A great deal ($19 +/- for a case) and they are drinkable but surely a notch or three below mainstream craft. (can I say mainstream craft? well you know what I mean...). They all remind me of fair to good homebrews, nothing earthshattering. Actually if these were my homebrews I would probably like them a bit more as I would have had a labor of love involved and would have been happy with a drinkable beer, no infections blah blah blah. But homebrew would have cost more:)
    Not sure there is a question here, just my opinion. Might still buy the case if money is tight any given week. Anyone agree?
    Cheers

2. JDizzle

JDizzle Zealot (538) Aug 24, 2010 Indiana

Not a big fan. All were average.

3. kojevergas

kojevergas Poo-Bah (6,643) Aug 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

I thought they were very passable for the price. That said, there was a staggering lack of variety for a variety pack. They all tasted very similar - rather malt-emphatic.

I wouldn't get it again, even if I were on the hunt for cheap brews. Trader Joe's scratches that itch.

4. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 Illinois

I heard on the internets that Gordon Biersch makes them.

5. dwagner003

dwagner003 Poo-Bah (1,585) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I'm pretty sure it's Karl Strauss.

6. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Disciple (383) Feb 18, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Y'all are pretty bad at the google.

Matt Brewing - Wiki page.

Hornet2003 likes this.
  7. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 Illinois

Well I guess that explains why they are mediocre, cheap beers.

8. Stevicus

Stevicus Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2009 California

Depends on where you bought them. Very good chance those were made out in the Midwest somewhere. Here in Norcal, they are definitely made by GB, and sold along side the GB sampler pack. I believe Mission brewing does a lot of Socal contract brewing. You never can tell. Unibroue does Trader Joe's Vintage beer every year, but all of Joe's other beers are made by GB and Mission.

9. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Savant (971) Sep 4, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Not entirely true. Trader Joes Mission St. is brewed by Firestone Walker, the Joseph Brau stuff is brewed by GB and Trader Jose is by Tecate.

beerme411 likes this.
  10. Stevicus

Stevicus Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2009 California

I guess I got my Mission St mixed with my Mission B. But to the point, a lot of people dismiss these brands without realizing who makes them.

11. beerme411

beerme411 Initiate (0) Sep 28, 2010 California

And that is why Mission St pale ale and IPA are good value.

12. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2006 Alabama

look at it this way... for not much more than the price of 24 empty bottles and 6 pack holders you also get 24 beers. Win/win!

charlottemoeron likes this.
  13. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,183) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

Shipyard, using their Kennebunkport 'dba' brews some TJ brands. Minhas brews the "Boatswain" line of beers for TJ, and also does their cheap canned brands (Simple Times, Red Oval). Schell and Goose Island in the past has also brewed some of their private labels.

14. rossco28

rossco28 Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2007 California

Gordon Biersch brews and bottles the Kirkland brand on the west coast.

~Ryan
    Karl Strauss Brewing Co.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe