Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Kiwi Rising

Discussion in 'New England' started by Archemedies, Nov 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archemedies

Archemedies Dec 8, 2011 Massachusetts

I heard a rumor, not sure if it is true or not that this just got released in bottles a few days ago. Can anyone confirm this? If so, any South Shore sightings? :)

2. dfecteau

dfecteau Jun 10, 2009 Massachusetts

It has been released in bottles. Picked up 2 at Julio's on the way home from work last night. Great, great stuff. Not sure if it is on the South Shore but good luck!

3. smutty33

smutty33 Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

How much were they?

Cheers

4. geoffpm

geoffpm Sep 10, 2007 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

I got a growler and 4 bottles last thurs at the brewery. Btls cost $5 per. Absolutely loved both but the carbonation in the growler died after 3 hrs.
    This is my favorite Jack's Abby beer by far.

5. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Any sightings in Somerville/Cambridge?

6. dfecteau

dfecteau Jun 10, 2009 Massachusetts

$4.99 a bottle.

smutty33 likes this.
  7. emannths

emannths Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Liquor World tweeted it out yesterday.

8. trenchtown4

trenchtown4 Apr 13, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I hope it lasts till Thanksgiving and Yankee Spirits in Attleboro gets some, will be at the in-laws in RI for the weekend. Otherwise I'll have to hope someone in MA will do a $4$ trade for some BCBS...

9. AlcahueteJ

Awesome, thank you. Is the availability of this similar to what Lunch used to be, as in the day of the tweet the stuff is gone? I'll try to swing by today to pick this up, I missed out the last time they made it.

10. koflaherty

koflaherty Nov 11, 2009 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I doubt it will go very fast. None of JA's beers have been hard to find and their recent releases (Fresh Hop, Fire in the Ham, Pumpkin) are still around. I think their reputation is building but they seem to make enough and distribute it in a small enough area that this should be around for a couple of weeks.

I was a big fan of it last year and had it on draft at Gordon's tasting recently. It's definitely one to seek out.

11. IcemanCometh

IcemanCometh Sep 6, 2012 Massachusetts

Redstone has it in (per twitter)

Ganglani and MarkF150 like this.
  12. AlcahueteJ

Ball Square also has it in, no limit. They also have Celebration and Stone Mint Imperial Stout.

13. KBrennan1000

KBrennan1000 Sep 20, 2010 Massachusetts

It should be in the system and on shelves at Marshfield Blanchard's by Saturday.

14. tehzachatak

tehzachatak Sep 19, 2010 Massachusetts

Going to Jack's Abby Saturday, bought a bottle today because I just couldn't handle the wait. Chilling now. This is my life.

15. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Rapid Liquors in Stoneham has a bunch - $4.20 per.

Just cracked a bottle....bit of a disappointment IMO. Would rather have super fresh Hoponius or Sierra Nevada Celebration.

16. omniscientcause

omniscientcause Jun 4, 2010 District of Columbia

Drinking my first celebration of the season now as my kiwi chills...say it aint so though. I've been looking forward to this for awhile.

17. SunDevilBeer

Sorry to say - stick with Celebration tonight. Or like me, I'm finishing some fresh Ithaca Flower Power off tonight too. Both r better than Kiwi I'm afraid.

18. omniscientcause

I plan on putting a decent dent in my celebration 12 pack but I will also give kiwi a go.

19. AlcahueteJ

That sucks, I'd heard great things about this beer from a few people. I bought two bottles, figured it'd be Hoponious on crack. Well, I'll give one bottle a shot tomorrow night, but I'm also picking up some Celebration for the rest of the night.

This could also be batch to batch variation, they haven't bottle Kiwi in awhile. They've made a crap load of Hoponious so they probably have that dialed in by now.

20. SunDevilBeer

Had it on draft last year & loved it. Was anticipating I'd enjoy it this year in bottles - not so much. Very disjointed & unbalanced IMO. Then again it's just this jaded beer man's opinion....

21. placetree

placetree Oct 9, 2011 Massachusetts

Kiwi is the best IPA(or L) that I've had in the area for quite some timeā€¦ If you are a fan of big Juicy IPA's with minimal malt (HT style), it will not disappoint.

22. AlcahueteJ

Yeah but.........Celebration tastes great right?

23. Jnorton00

Jnorton00 Apr 13, 2007 Massachusetts

Celebration tastes like a mediocre home brew. I don't get the love for it.

Trevdawg likes this.
  24. SunDevilBeer

Of course! SNCA is drinking great. So are Ithaca Flower Power & Firestone Walker Union Jack (if found fresh < 6 weeks)

25. omniscientcause

psssssshhhhhh im sorry sundevil...this is drinking great right now. Very fresh lots of citrus with a dry pine finish just how I like it. I guess if you were looking for balance this may not be the best choice. But this is just how I like my IPAs.

Will most certainly buy more soon.

Patrick and placetree like this.
  26. SunDevilBeer

TETO.

But the bottled version this year is completely different than what I had last year on draft.

27. Auror

Auror Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I think it's different but still great. Last year seemed balanced and only different from Hoponius by the hop varities used. This year it's a bit more dry and more highly hopped. Still awesome and arguably best IPA from MA.

HevvyMetalHippie likes this.
  28. iflah45

iflah45 Jul 8, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I've had this years on draft (3 full pours) and it was just as good if not better than last years. I don't expect the bottles to be Ny different but I will report once I crack one or two. It's a phenomenal beer that gives the VT guys a run for their money...and believe me I absolutely love HF, Lawson's, and Alchemist IPA's. it is easily on their level.

HevvyMetalHippie likes this.
  29. AlcahueteJ

Good to hear. I'm glad I'll finally get my hands on some Celebration this year.

Agreed on the Union Jack. For some reason I never bought Union Jack, but have tried every other IPA that I can get fresh. I picked one bottle up in a mix-a-six that was bottled 10/5, so about 4 weeks old when I had it. It was incredible, one of those tropical fruit tasting IPAs that really hit the spot. It gave a fresh Sculpin on tap a run for its money.

30. HevvyMetalHippie

HevvyMetalHippie Nov 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

In at BLM in Allston/Brookline. Fresh off the bottling line and in the store as of yesterday. Easily the best DIPL in Mass right now.

31. tehzachatak

Also, probably the only DIPL in Mass? Or are there more I am unaware of.

JrGtr likes this.
  32. HevvyMetalHippie

HevvyMetalHippie Nov 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Ha good point :/ derp. Ill just say that it's really good...

33. emannths

Other bottled ones inlcude Harpoon Leviathan, Clownshoes Supahero and Angry Beast, CBC Red God (ok, maybe imp red), and Wachusett Larry.

34. nathanb47

nathanb47 Dec 14, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Granite Package in Weymouth has it. i believe its like 4.39

dbexpert likes this.
  35. WeymouthMike

WeymouthMike Jun 22, 2004 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Those are lagers?

36. emannths

D'oh.

Carry on.

37. tehzachatak

I mean, as far as I know, Kiwi Rising is probably the only "Double IPL" on the planet, given that nobody really recognizes it as a style anyway.

38. Trevdawg

Trevdawg Feb 9, 2012 New Hampshire

On tap at the Abbey. Heading there now.

39. Longstaff

Longstaff May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

Are Jack's Abby's ? lol.

40. Dools9

Dools9 Jul 5, 2011 Massachusetts

Yup, picked up a bottle earlier today for myself, looking forward to trying it this weekend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe