Knoxville TN Beer Suggestions

Discussion in 'South' started by beeragent, Feb 24, 2017.

1. beeragent

beeragent Meyvn (1,059) Aug 16, 2005 Texas
    Subscriber

I've got family in Knoxville this weekend, and they have offered to bring back some beer. I know recently, the Knoxville beer scene has exploded, so I'd like to focus on the local beers. Can you make some suggestions on what they should get that's usually readily available? Cans over bottles too if possible. Thanks in advance!

2. rangerred

rangerred Poo-Bah (1,597) Dec 20, 2006 Tennessee
    Subscriber

Bearded Iris makes some awesome N.E. style IPA's

John1985, Grizzarky and Badfish like this.
  3. DustyF

DustyF Initiate (156) Oct 7, 2014 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

The better spots local to Knoxville, IMO, don't can or bottle yet.

I second the post above that if they can find anything from Bearded Iris or Southern Grist, that's a good place to start for IPA's.

Blackberry Farms is from just east of Knoxville but they make some world class Saisons and are easily available in the area if you are into that style.

For sours, have them look for anything from Yazoo's embrace the funk series.

Wiseacre out of Memphis has just released their BA imperial stout (Astronaut Status) that is out of this world (no pun intended). Definitely have them on the lookout for it. They also make a coffee milk stout that is great called Gotta get up to get down.

Have them check Mcsgrooges in West Knoxville and also their is a small store right beside Suttree's high gravity bar down town that the name of escapes me but they are your best bet at times for some harder to get stuff (like Astronaut Status).

Cheers!

4. Gumbo_gravy

Gumbo_gravy Disciple (362) Jan 31, 2015 District of Columbia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I might traveling to the area soon. What spots should I check out in Knoxville proper?

5. Badfish

Badfish Initiate (73) Sep 6, 2013 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

I agree with @DustyF, the greats aren't packaging yet. However, Alliance Brewing does crowlers to go.

Your best served trying to find stuff from Wiseacre, Blackberry Farm, and anything you see by Bearded Iris. If you're a hop head BI are making some insane stuff right now.

Readmorevols and DustyF like this.
  6. Gumbo_gravy

Subscriber Beer Trader

I wasn't necessarily looking for stuff to-go. Just wanted to know the best places to have a beer or two while I"m visiting.

7. jdhops

jdhops Aspirant (272) Dec 30, 2011 Tennessee
    Subscriber

Crafty Bastard has tasty beer and loose, friendly vibe. Vinyl spun there, too.

Agree with others on Bearded Iris cans.

Readmorevols likes this.
  8. Brewventurer

Brewventurer Initiate (131) Dec 23, 2013 Tennessee

Just to add to what DustyF said, the bottle shop next to suttree's(excellent craft beer bar downtown) is called Downtown Wine&spirits. Their beer selection isn't terribly large but they do carry some great offerings. Great staff too. Be sure to check the beer/wine cellar in the back of the store. Not uncommon to find some limited beers back there on the bottom shelves.
    Bearded Iris cans have been flying off the shelves (especially their double IPAs) but are definitely worth hunting down. A chain of beer bar/shops in town called The Casual Pint have maintained a decent variety of BI's offerings both in can and on tap.
    As far as Knoxville breweries are concerned, Crafty Bastard is by far the best most creative option in my opinion. While the atmosphere inside is a bit dungeonous, they do offer outside seating and the staff is super friendly and knowledgeable.

Readmorevols and Badfish like this.
  9. Nhens0016

Nhens0016 Aspirant (283) Aug 23, 2013 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

As someone who doesn't live that far away from Knoxville, how likely is it that I could drive down and find some bearded iris in cans around ton? Minus wile wide in Kentucky, I don't have many options for my NE IPA appetitite. I would like to stock up when I can, and being an hour and a half drive away would be great! Usually I head to hoof hearted in Columbus when I pass through to head home to PA.

10. Badfish

Beer Trader

The odds are definitely against you. Once they come in, they're gone pretty quickly. If you post in here the day you're planning on coming in, us locals could probably check around and find out if there are any.

If you have access to Hoof Hearted I'd also be down to trade some BI stuff for it. I've heard great things about them.

Readmorevols likes this.
  11. Nhens0016

Beer Trader

Thanks man, that would be great! I just want to grab some cans for later is all. If that means I'll have to go to Nashville at some point, so be it. I am probably moving down around Knoxville next year so need a good hook up!

Yeah, don't go to hoof as much as I would if I lived closer but have had all the mainstays (konkey, roller, south of eleven, dragonsaddle, and some of there draft beers). All are very good! Hope mile wide in Louisville is as good as people say. Hitting it tomorrow for some crowlers.

12. Badfish

Beer Trader

Pretty much guaranteed some in Nashville! If you ever do go to the brewery, just right down the street is a place called Butchertown Hall. Make sure to stop in there and eat. The guys at BI actually recommended it and it did not disappoint.

If you head down this way let's hook up for sure! Enjoy Louisville. Cheers!

13. iRun2Beer

iRun2Beer Champion (847) Jan 27, 2015 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I'll be in Knoxville the first weekend in April for the marathon. Looking to hit up some breweries. Any weird beer laws in Tennessee I need to know about (maximum amount they'll serve you like South Carolina, only fill their own growlers, breweries close at a certain time, etc).

What are the best breweries to visit in the area right now? Location doesn't matter so much to me, I'll go out of my way to visit the area's best. I'm road-tripping down and will have a vehicle (and a wife to drive me).

Readmorevols and Gumbo_gravy like this.
  14. Nhens0016

Beer Trader

Ended up getting some red handed and home style from a casual pint store. Super awesome staff and they ended up having sexual chocolate which is a beer I have wanted to try for a while. Good pickings in Knoxville though! Thanks for the help.

harperman69, Badfish and Readmorevols like this.
  15. rangerred

rangerred Poo-Bah (1,597) Dec 20, 2006 Tennessee
    Subscriber

The abv cutoff for "high-gravity" beer was recently raised to 10.1% so anything under that can be bought anywhere. Above 10.1% is limited to liquor stores (closed on Sundays). That's about it for funky laws.

Check out Blackberry Farm and pick up as many of their beers as you can; awesome stuff. Also, as mentioned earlier, Bearded Iris has some great New England-style IPA's. I have to give a shout out to Yee-Haw who brews here in Johnson City but is distributed throughout most of TN. Their Dunkel is spot-on and the others are solid.

iRun2Beer likes this.
  16. Readmorevols

Readmorevols Initiate (39) Jun 5, 2016 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

Breweries to check out imo are Crafty Bastard (mentioned above) and Alliance.

PassMeAZima likes this.
  17. sefus12

sefus12 Aspirant (207) Sep 7, 2006 Kentucky

Shameless plug, but a dear buddy of mine started/owns/runs the Pretentious Beer Glass Company downtown. They are a glass-blowing shop that makes hand-crafted beer and whiskey glasses and have a craft beer bar attached to it next door. Matthew (my friend) is going to start a brewery in there soon, but they always have a great tap list. If you're downtown I highly suggest you checking them out.

https://www.facebook.com/pretentiousbeerco/

18. iRun2Beer

iRun2Beer Champion (847) Jan 27, 2015 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

No Sunday sales? Good to know...I thought Minnesota was the only one! We finally got Sunday liquor sales approved in Minnesota this year, starting in July. For such a "progressive" state we've been stuck in the dark ages for liquor laws for quite some time....

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll definitely check them out!

From everyone else's comments, it sounds like I should check out Crafty Bastard and Alliance, and make the drive to Blackberry Farm. How are Last Days of Autumn, Saw Works, and Balter?

19. Readmorevols

Beer Trader

Just at liquor stores. They're closed every Sunday. Anything below 10% can be sold in grocery/beer stores.

Last days and Saw Works are at the bottom of the beer spectrum imo. Really hope Last days improves. Good people and good space they have.

Balter is kinda like Yee-Haw IMO. They make solid highly palatable beers that are true style but pretty boring/vanilla. I think of Balter as restaurant more so than a brewery personally.

I've heard the Pretentious dude is a killer home brewer but haven't had any of his stuff yet.

Hand full of places in the process of opening soon too. The Knox beer scene is semi-exploding.

Badfish and Gumbo_gravy like this.
  20. sefus12

sefus12 Aspirant (207) Sep 7, 2006 Kentucky

Matthew (Pretentious) starting homebrewing back when he was living in Louisville and he made some amazing stuff. Leaned toward Belgian-inspired beers, but did some killer IPAs as well. Can't wait to see what he does when he has his own system, though I believe he will be hiring a brewer as opposed to doing it himself.

Readmorevols likes this.
  21. Gumbo_gravy

Subscriber Beer Trader

So I know they're a Nashville based spot but holy shit. Bearded Iris is killing the NE style haze game. How is the word not out on them?! I'm probably gonna buy out the casual pint downtown and take it all back to DC. Treehouse quality IPAs and DIPAs

22. Readmorevols

Beer Trader

Grabbed some today for throw-ins in my out going boxes.

Comparing to treehouse is a tad strong but they're very good.

Badfish and DustyF like this.
  23. Nhens0016

Beer Trader

Really liking the bearded iris cans I got (red handed and home style), but it isn't on treehouse level. Red handed is very different then most NE and I really like it!

Badfish and Readmorevols like this.
  24. PassMeAZima

PassMeAZima Devotee (478) Jan 1, 2014 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Made it to Crafty Bastard yesterday. Had some really solid beers on tap. I wouldn't rate any below a 4/5. Would definitely recommend checking them out if you're in KnoxVegas

Readmorevols and iRun2Beer like this.
  25. ChazBoner

ChazBoner Initiate (159) Jun 29, 2014 Tennessee

Best way to try Knoxville beer is to visit a taproom.
    Schulz Brau is down the street from Crafty Bastard. Last Days of Autumn is close by too. So is Pretentious and Alliance Brewery.Downtown Grill and Brewery. All are worth checking out. There are 5 or 6 other new breweries planning to open this year.

26. cpferris

cpferris Initiate (172) Jan 22, 2008 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Does anyone happen to know of any breweries in the area that sell 1/6 barrel kegs to the public? Or any other notable places that might sell good local IPA in kegs?

Or what about Blackberry for saisons/fruited beers? I will be passing through in a couple weeks and would love to grab a keg of something worthwhile.

I'd also be down with driving to Asheville if that changes anything.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe