Kombucha's similarity to sour beers

Discussion in 'Beyond Beer' started by EricLiPuma, Jul 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EricLiPuma

EricLiPuma Nov 12, 2014 New Jersey

Any sour beer lovers try this stuff? Ive had a few offerings and sometimes they taste very similar to a sour beer.

2. spitshaded

spitshaded Nov 12, 2012 Virginia

The first time I had kombucha (GTs Citrus flavor) that was the first thing that popped in my head. I really enjoy the stuff.

3. Kjbober

Kjbober Jul 29, 2014 Ohio

Had my first kombucha beer at Crooked Stave Artisan Beer Project. It was delicious, flavored with lemongrass. Saw Unity kombucha and was like man i will probably love this stuff. Wrong it was acetic acid w/ raspberry. I'm willing to try others but the jury is still out as to if I like the style overall.

4. Brolo75

Brolo75 Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

I enjoy a good sour as well as kombucha. My wife brews her own kombucha at home.

sharpski and floridadrift like this.
  5. Roguer

Roguer Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

I've only tried Kombucha a couple times, but it did not do it for me. It was more like vinegar tea than a sour beer. I'm not saying that I couldn't get into it (sour beer is a bit of an acquired taste, as well), but I don't see a love for one necessarily translating into a love for the other.

utopiajane likes this.
  6. ClavisAurea

ClavisAurea Jul 4, 2008 New York

Kombucha tends to have a stronger acetic acid (vinegar) character whereas sours can have a combination of lactic, malic and some acetic character. I'm a big fan of sours and I do make the distinction between true sours and Brettanomyces fermentations that are just funky. Kombucha just isn't my cup of tea; pardon the pun.

DonicBoom likes this.
  7. JaefromLA

JaefromLA May 19, 2015 California

Yes. I was just talking about this the other day. I think that's why Kombucha isn't awful as everybody else thinks. Also some Kombucha are better than others. The brand by the name of Health-ade is by far the easiest to swig. The lady apple flavor is damn tasty.

8. iong516

iong516 Jul 4, 2013 Pennsylvania

My roommates brew some damn good kombucha. I have a 3F Oude Kriek in the fridge I've been meaning to share with them...

9. Danny1217

Danny1217 Jul 15, 2011 Florida

Acetic acid (vinegar) is usually considered a flaw in sours beer, while it's typically a major component in kombucha, so that separates them a bit.

I like both, however, I am really into sour beers but have only tried kombucha a couple times, so that doesn't mean too much.

utopiajane and DonicBoom like this.
  10. SirBottlecap

SirBottlecap Jan 28, 2013 California

I've had kombucha once or twice (not a fan), but not necessarily kombucha beer. Is kombucha beer (actually) beer? This would open up a new avenue of caps/things to drink and l need to know if l should make some space (on the wall and in stomach)...

11. FreshHawk

FreshHawk Nov 24, 2009 Illinois

Depends on the sour. It reminds me of something like a Flanders Red or something that is lactic as that has the acidic/vinegar flavor. Brett sours and ones that have more of a funky/barnyard flavor are not similar to me. I really prefer the later category for beers, but I really enjoy kombucha and make it at home. That said, I definitely do not treat the two in a similar manner and drink them for completely different reasons.

gillagorilla likes this.
  12. vickersspitfire

vickersspitfire Dec 11, 2006 Texas
    Trader

fucking hipsters fucking everything up including Mad Max...

13. 31Sam13

31Sam13 Sep 29, 2014 New Hampshire

Wow, that's funny because I made that connection myself. I drank an awful lot of Kombucha for a while, as I made it at home. Sours are not my favorite beers, but certain ones remind me of Kombucha. I agree with FreshHawk about the lactic acid and the acidic/vinegar tastes being similar. Kombucha does have lactic acid in it, as well as many other acidic compounds, including malic and acetic acids, which as others have pointed out, are compounds found in sours. While I don't believe Kombucha is a panacea, as some would have you believe, I do belive it has many positive health benefits, especially regarding digestive issues--at least for me.

sharpski likes this.
  14. DonicBoom

DonicBoom Mar 26, 2015 Virginia

Any opinions on hopped kombuchas? I saw a couple on the menu at Blue Mountain brewery (not made by them) but was too interested in the beers to try them. I guess my main curiosity is how much the hops tend to be used for aroma vs bitterness.

15. Domingo

Domingo Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

I can't handle it. Too much vinegar flavor...and not the more palatable balsamic variety either. Just not my thing, but I have no problem with the concept.
    I've noticed a fair number of Denver breweries (mainly Crooked Stave) have started carrying Happy Leaf as an alternative to things like soda and energy drinks.

16. montman

montman Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

I had one of these with Citra, and it was mostly for aroma but I enjoyed it.

17. RyanGee

RyanGee Jun 13, 2015 Illinois

Love sours and love kombuchas. Just like the beer, no two are exactly alike. I like trying new varieties just as much as I like trying the new beer.

18. ravenwork

ravenwork Mar 16, 2015 Pennsylvania

For what it's worth, acetic acid is generally produced by aerobic fermentation, which is typical for kombucha. Whereas, lactic acid is generally produced by anaerobic fermentation. Thus, the comment about acetic acid being considered a flaw in a sour beer has a fundamental credence.

I produce naturally fermented pickles which are made by anaerobic fermentation with the lactobacillus strains from the air and on the cukes. Part of what I like about them is the very different tartness they have from lactic acid, very different from the acetic acid (vinegar) in most commercial pickles.

Still, since the fermentation I do is not from inoculation with pure strain, and done without purging of the initial air in the vessel, there is probably some acetic present from the naturally occurring acetobacter doing their thing before the oxygen is purged when the lactobacilli take over.

This is part of the character of natural fermentation over controlled fermentation. It also makes me think that it makes perfect sense to compare naturally fermented kombucha to a naturally fermented sour. There are bound to be some similar flavoring/souring compounds present. Maybe not everyone can tell the difference between acetic and lactic. I find it very pronounced personally, and why I go to the trouble of making my own pickles.

19. Beer_Line

Beer_Line May 29, 2015 California

FT: kombuchas ISO: Veritas 015

20. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Nov 2, 2007 Vermont

Kombucha is what I drink with dinner on nights I work. Tart, refreshing, but brands vary considerably in terms of pucker. Love mixing a cup of plain kombucha, a half cup of sour cherry juice and top off with unsweetened green tea for a faux kriek!

sharpski likes this.
  21. SFCraft

SFCraft Mar 20, 2014 California

I love kombucha! Definitely my go to when I'm craving something tart & refreshing!

22. sinkas

sinkas Jul 9, 2008 Australia

I reckon the kombucha I made tastes like ROdenbach

23. Crim122

Crim122 Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

This thread reminded me to buy a bottle of Lenny Boy kombucha. Forgot how good this stuff is.

24. EricLiPuma

EricLiPuma Nov 12, 2014 New Jersey

Rodenbach is exactly what i had in mind!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.