Kudos to Founders on this year's KBS labels

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Biff_Tannen, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Biff_Tannen

Biff_Tannen Disciple (313) Dec 8, 2013 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Nothing...and I mean nothing in the beer world irritates me more than when a brewery creates a limited release beer, charges a pretty penny for it and allows it to be hyped to the moon, only to put a crooked, paper thin label (like all 3 Floyds labels) on it that is about to fall off when you buy it. This used to be KBS. this year they are using a thick, well adhesed, high quality label (similar to BCBS) that is befitting of an expensive, high quality beer. Time for other breweries to follow suit.

Kudos, Founders

Gemini6, Jaycase, bmugan and 8 others like this.
  2. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,177) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Hmmmm beer labels still don't bother me since last time you mentioned this. Yup had all this time to think it over, and I still only care about what's inside the bottle.

3. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Initiate (182) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I see where OP is coming from.

Honestly, I was carting a case of 3 Floyds into my "cellar" on Saturday and the boxes were ripping from the built in hand holds. I cursed to high heaven. WTF. They can make HQ beer but not a good box to hold it? Fuckin a man.

BJB13, Wiffler27 and Biff_Tannen like this.
  4. AyeDogg

AyeDogg Initiate (190) Oct 29, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

I think the real MVP is Firestone, for making great sturdy labels and boxes which holds the product individually.

Geuzedad, BJB13, Maestro0708 and 7 others like this.
  5. beertrip

beertrip Initiate (138) Feb 6, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

The only thing that bothers me about the label is the "highly acclaimed" statement. It's not incorrect, just not necessary.

6. NoYouDidnt

NoYouDidnt Zealot (509) Feb 15, 2015 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I don't know about the sturdy label for KBS. I looked at several 4 packs and bombers at one location and they were all scratched up. The 4 pack bottles had rips from the bottom up, showing they all tore when they were placed in the holders. The bombers all had nicks or cuts. Took a lot of digging to find a 4 pack with beer labels that would grade well if I sent it to Beckett.

7. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,013) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Judge not a beer by the paper of its label.

8. BEERMILER12

BEERMILER12 Poo-Bah (2,186) Sep 11, 2010 Maine

Just give it a few months until the adhesive fails to adhere that label... Those KBS you were aging no longer have a label and you don't know what beer you're grabbing. There is a be-all-end-all solution to shitty labels AND hype, however. KBS in cans!

9. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Meyvn (1,442) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Boxes and thick labels are nice and all when it doesn't raise the bottle price, which it usually seems to do.

VABA and drtth like this.
  10. GrumpyGas

GrumpyGas Crusader (745) Apr 7, 2009 Illinois

Luckily they were able to fill and cap the bottles, as well.

11. Biff_Tannen

Biff_Tannen Disciple (313) Dec 8, 2013 Missouri
    Beer Trader

The gold cap is also a very nice touch

12. Superflyjsc

Superflyjsc Aspirant (263) Dec 6, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I don't like how they removed the abv and ibu information off the label this year...unless I overlooked and missed it somewhere

13. gibgink

gibgink Crusader (729) Oct 27, 2014 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Fixed that for you

14. gibgink

gibgink Crusader (729) Oct 27, 2014 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Add De Garde to that list of poor adhesion labels. But I will let that pass, as I don't really care what is in the bottle. It will be good regardless.

+1 to the fact that KBS puts a year on the label now. I don't think they started doing that until 2015? I remember getting one in a trade as a nice extra that had the year written on the label in red marker. Which was still on the bottle btw.

15. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

I just noticed that. I went and checked to make sure. You're right. That's pretty annoying. Central Waters was the first company that I noticed doing that very thing, and it really frustrates me.

16. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Initiate (163) Sep 1, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I buy the magazine for the articles....oops, wrong thread

17. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Aspirant (271) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I like the brewers that use stickers rather than labels so you can easily peel them off and re-stick them in a tasting book. What the heck is up with the brewers that use the plastic wrapped cans? Look very cool, but do we need more plastic in the environment?

Wolfhead likes this.
  18. moshea

moshea Devotee (419) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Wow Agreeing with Biff.

I agree Biff. I noticed.

Biff_Tannen and gibgink like this.
  19. mambossa

mambossa Initiate (178) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Of all the times I've been there, I've never had that problem with 3 Floyds. :astonished: Maybe cause I never carry my cases or six packs by the handles! You don't hold a baby by its head, do ya? Cradle that sweet nectar from the bottom!

20. Junior

Junior Aspirant (278) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I would bet that most people reading this thread know the ABV and IBUs of KBS without having to look at the label. Something that comes with being 'Highly Acclaimed'. Nothing to be frustrated about.

Beersnob724 and eldoctorador like this.
  21. jdell15

jdell15 Aspirant (231) Aug 27, 2010 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

It's illegal to not print ABV on a beer if it's above 3.5% or something low like that. It's there, just stamped on the back label in very faint white lettering below the description and to the left of the barcode - 11.8% with a bottling date. Now IBUs aren't required to be on there obviously, but alcohol is.

Gemini6 and Beer_Economicus like this.
  22. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

I was actually talking about being frustrated with CW. I'm not super familiar with them, as their distribution is limited where I live. So when I see something of theirs in the store, and if I have limited cell service, I'd really like to be able to find it on their bottles or pack.

23. MikeP64

MikeP64 Aspirant (203) Jan 24, 2015 South Carolina

A painted label would be nice...for what we pay they should be able to do that.

Jaycase, AnchorDrops and Biff_Tannen like this.
  24. moshea

moshea Devotee (419) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I do not think that is true for the whole country

jdell15, cavedave and drtth like this.
  25. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,015) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

26. rather

rather Aspirant (260) May 31, 2013 California

Much cheaper for smaller runs of cans to wrap blank cans with a printed label. A lot of small local breweries do this and I don't mind that they can't order or store a large order of printed cans

27. jdell15

jdell15 Aspirant (231) Aug 27, 2010 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

Yea I should've figured it was different from state to state. Especially with some of the wacky laws we have down here in the bible belt.

moshea likes this.
  28. Donco

Donco Devotee (474) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Firestone Walker 16:23

Harrison8, beertrip and SFACRKnight like this.
  29. BaseballNBeer

BaseballNBeer Initiate (175) Apr 22, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I don't like the white ink they used on these labels. It's very difficult to read it without a bright light. It definitely works better on the darker, glossier labels they use for their other beers.

My understanding for printing the ABV is so they can better manage the variance in ABV that the barrel-aging brings to the product. It's much easier to stamp the current ABV than reprint a bunch of labels.

Gemini6, Harrison8 and jdell15 like this.
  30. Acinonyx

Acinonyx Initiate (132) Mar 8, 2017 Michigan
    Beer Trader

More of anything I think it's because the Frootwood labels suuuucked and they learned from it. Same type of good looking heavy paper label, but 3/4 of my Frootwood had the label fall off in the fridge. So far all of my KBS bottles still have the label well adhered.

Gemini6 and jvgoor3786 like this.
  31. mambossa

mambossa Initiate (178) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

On a serious note, many larger-distro breweries (and smaller, depending on their equipment) will fill the bottles before they label them. Which, ta-daaa, results in trying to label on a cold, wet bottle. It works, but isn't fool proof. Some other breweries will have their bottles already labeled before they fill them, which is obviously better.

Just throwin that out there.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  32. TheVoice121

TheVoice121 Initiate (105) Apr 13, 2017 North Carolina

I agree and what intrigues me the most the the fact they put the label on there "Barrel Aged Series" meaning they might try more barrel aged in the future? That being said this years KBS is better than last years for sure.

33. Harrison8

Harrison8 Meyvn (1,451) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Perhaps a lot of people, but not most. All I could tell you is it's above 10%.

It's still a nice reminder. Especially with some bottles varying between years/batches. I thought it was required by law to include the ABV...?

Founder's Imperial Stout has a blank spot on the back where they stamp the batch ABV on it. Quite nice, so they definitely have the capability of adding it.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  34. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,246) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

That's not the case on the Federal level, where it is optional (emphasis added):

35. Harrison8

Harrison8 Meyvn (1,451) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Interesting. Do certain states require it then?

EDIT: Read posts above, and it appears certain states require ABV on the label. Now I know.

36. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,246) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

Up until the mid-90s, it was illegal to label a beer's alcohol content UNLESS the state mandated it:
    So, it's hard to keep up with the 50 states and DC's laws (many states changed when the Feds did - which was the result of a lawsuit by Coors which went to the SCOTUS).

The way I read the Arkansas requirements, a brewer only has to state that it's over 6.3% abv, not the specific ABV (which, I guess, would also fulfill the law).

zid and Harrison8 like this.
  37. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops Aspirant (269) May 11, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

They charge nearly twice as much as Stone does for Woot Stout but can't screen print the bottles?

Biff_Tannen likes this.
  38. Acinonyx

Acinonyx Initiate (132) Mar 8, 2017 Michigan
    Beer Trader

It's there, just really not really noticeable unless you're looking for it. Not sure why they went with white ink...
    [​IMG]

39. bbtkd

bbtkd Meyvn (1,249) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

Because tan ink would have been hard to read :wink:

40. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Aspirant (271) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

https://foundersbrewing.com/barrel-aged-series/

Gemini6, bbtkd and Biff_Tannen like this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.