Kuhnhenn Breakfast of Champions

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by CD83, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CD83

CD83 Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2014 Michigan

looking forward to St. party's day this year. It will be my first Breakfast of Champions at Kuhnhenn, and I was wondering from you fellow BA'ers: what's the typical lineup of beer, and what are the must haves and must avoids?

The Wild Blueberry Pancake Ale looks delicious. Any other suggestions? Will they be packed at 7am?

2. CD83

Sorry guys, my autocorrect got the best of me. St. Patty's day, not St party's day, although I guess it could be taken both ways.

3. Runninmixz

Runninmixz Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2012 Michigan

Cocopuffs stout is a must IMO. Yes slammed busy right away.

bigk84 likes this.
  4. atone315

atone315 Champion (893) Oct 8, 2008 Wisconsin

Looks like your Autocorrect got you twice. It's actually St Paddy's day.

stooge and LiquidTable like this.
  5. bigk84

bigk84 Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2011 Michigan

^This. everything else is hit or miss for me, I'm not a big fan of the breakfast beers, but that cocopuffs stout top notch, and it will be extremely busy.

6. dmbforever

dmbforever Aspirant (284) May 8, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

They allow growler fills correct??? If so, I'm ISO the CocoPuffs or Lucky Charms :slight_smile:

7. mcomben

mcomben Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2008 Michigan

Not sure about day of, but if memory serves me right they do growlers in the days following the event...

That Cocoa Puffs stout is my jam, so so awesome.

Marti403 likes this.
  8. sarcastro

sarcastro Aspirant (222) Sep 20, 2006 Michigan

I am pretty sure they dont do the day of. That would be bad on many levels for the pub and the people there that day. I am pretty sure the Cocopuffs stout generally doesnt make it to the next day.

#8 sarcastro, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  9. mcomben

mcomben Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2008 Michigan

It won't if I have my way with it day of.

Cocoa Puffs Stout over a bowl of Cocoa Puffs? Like some sort of Cocoa Puff inception...CocoPuffception? I dunno we have time to work the name out.

10. MWolverines66

MWolverines66 Disciple (372) Mar 13, 2013 New York
    Trader

What other good stuff is usually there? I will get my ISO ready if there are growler fills.

_morandi_ likes this.
  11. MichiganderHB

MichiganderHB Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2012 Michigan

It the past it has been crazy busy because that was they day they released BBFT. Last year was super smooth because there was no bottle release and the tent was set up outside with the breakfast beers and breakfast. Me and my friends were there from opening until about 11am and it was never so crowded that people were without seats inside.

As far as growlers, I think St Paddy's was on a Monday last year and they did growler fills (including Cocoa Puffs) starting Wednesday evening. The year before, Cocoa Puffs was gone by 11am.

12. FaradayUncaged

FaradayUncaged Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Michigan

13. Morakaton

Morakaton Initiate (0) May 6, 2013 Michigan

From what I remember last year, the beers went like this:

OJ Wit - A typical wit with a heavy orange juice influence
    Cocoa Puff Stout - Super chocolatey and light, probably the best of the bunch.
    Blueberry Pancake Ale - One of the sweetest beers ever, very difficult to drink more than a sample size
    Cinnamon Toast Crunch Ale - The only bad beer of the bunch. Very little cereal taste, but lots of cinnamon spice

Their was one or two other breakfast beers, can't really remember them much. Fun event though.

FaradayUncaged likes this.
  14. steebo777

steebo777 Devotee (411) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

15. LiquidTable

LiquidTable Initiate (0) May 3, 2011 Michigan

We'll announce the beers on Tuesday 3/10.
    I can give some more details:
    Monday 3/16 pre-party featuring rare drafts and music from Stone Clover.
    Tuesday breakfast starts at 8am, hosted by the Men's Club from St. Anne's Church, raising money for charity.
    Music from Reggie Smith and the After Party beginning at 6pm.

sarro likes this.
  16. atrocity

atrocity Meyvn (1,434) Dec 18, 2013 Virginia
    Society

Wish I could come to this!

17. LiquidTable

Here's the beer list.
    Additionally we will be featuring some of the stouts in cask throughout the 2-day Celebration.
    Tentatively no growler fills of these beers on the day of release. All BoC beers are released at 7am on March 17.

STOUTS:

-Oatmeal Stout – 4.8% ABV
    Rich, black in color, this beer has a mild, roasted grain aroma with hints of cocoa and coffee, and no discernible hop character. Oats lend a grainy softness to the texture, with rich malty flavors throughout, leading to a surprisingly dry finish without the burnt character of some stouts.

-Leann Dubh Dry Stout – 5.0% ABV
    Pronounced “La'an-doov,” and literally translating as “black beer,” our Dry Irish Stout is a classic example of the style. Black Patent malt lends the rich, black color with deep roasty notes, while holding back on the bitterness. Roasty malt and cocoa notes exist throughout, with little to no hop character. Lower-alcohol combined with a dry, satisfying finish makes for a balanced beer with exceptional drinkability.

-Export Stout – 7.2% ABV
    This foreign-style stout pours blacker than the blackest black. The roasty, chocolatey, espresso-like notes you expect from a good stout are taken up a notch in this high-gravity brew, also delivering flavors of caramel, leather and a hint of licorice. Surprisingly easy drinking with a nice medium bitterness, this richly-flavored beer has a satisfying clean finish.

-Imperial Creme Brulee Java Stout – 7.2% ABV
    Coffee. Chocolate. Caramel. Vanilla. You're used to seeing a lot of these terms when describing stouts. These are not just descriptors; they are ingredients. This is an amped up version of one of our first beers, the original (but discontinued) Creme Brulee Java Stout, and has become a crowd favorite by perfectly balancing the sweet and the roast, thanks to the use of Creme Brulee coffee. The aroma and flavor are a coffee, chocolate or dessert-lover's dream in a glass.

BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS BEERS:

-Ruby Red Grapefruit Wit – 4.5% ABV
    Always the healthier breakfast choice, our Ruby Red Grapefruit is bright and summery, with a big fruity aroma that carries through to spritzy citrus flavors. This Breakfast of Champions release is slightly tart, with excellent fruit character and a refreshing finish.

-Lucky Charms Lager – 4.7% ABV
    A definite fan favorite in our Breakfast of Champions series, this cereal-inspired beer will have you following the rainbow. Fruity marshmallow sweetness comes through in the aroma, followed by a slightly sweet toasted cereal taste, nicely complemented by distinct notes of pink hearts, yellow moons, orange stars, and green clovers.

-Blueberry Pancake Ale – 5.2% ABV
    Light and refreshing, this is Sunday brunch in a glass. Part of our Breakfast of Champions series, we brew this beer each year for our St. Patrick's Day Celebration. Soft, fresh blueberry aromas permeate the head, with slightly sweet cake and fruity berry flavors, which linger in the finish. Creamy and spritzy all in one, this beer truly is unique.

-Cocoa Puff Stout – 5.0% ABV
    We brewed our Dry Stout with just the right amount of several types of cocoa to reflect the flavors of Sonny's favorite cereal. Part of our Breakfast of Champions series of beers, the intense cocoa sweetness balances nicely with the roasty malt notes and a dry finish that will have you going cuckoo.

-Cookie Crisp Dunkel – 5.2% ABV
    As part of our Breakfast of Champions series of beers, we crafted a version of our Ironmonger Dunkel to taste just like everyone's favorite breakfast cereal that didn't look or taste like a cereal at all! Sweet toasty notes complemented by chocolate chips with a hint of vanilla match perfectly with the base beer. You'll be howling for more.

-Capn Crunchberries – 4.7% ABV
    This Breakfast of Champions beer is fruity through and through, without ever being overly sweet. Berry notes combined with toasted malt characteristics exist throughout. The pink hue is reminiscent of the milk at the end of the bowl of cereal featuring everyone's favorite sailor. The finish is refreshing and lingering, without cutting the roof of your mouth.

Marti403 and steebo777 like this.
  18. steebo777

steebo777 Devotee (411) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

Sounds good, I'll be there Tuesday!

atone315 likes this.
  19. atone315

atone315 Champion (893) Oct 8, 2008 Wisconsin

Ridiculously jealous.

steebo777 likes this.
  20. MSEGUIN

MSEGUIN Initiate (0) Apr 6, 2011 Michigan

wish I could make this

21. CD83

Luckily I work midnights...

Work-Kuhnhenn-sleep-hangover-work sounds like my Tuesday.

22. CD83

Anyone at the brewery right now? What special beers did they tap at 6?

23. myxmastrmike

myxmastrmike Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2009 Michigan

2013 4D Firkin and Blueberry Pancake are the only two things of note outside.

24. MWolverines66

MWolverines66 Disciple (372) Mar 13, 2013 New York
    Trader

Anyone know if they ended up doing any growler fills tonight? If not, what wasn't kicked and would available tmrw?

Thanks!

25. Bryan

Bryan Initiate (0) Feb 29, 2012 Michigan

I was there short after open. None of the breakfast beers were available.

26. Jas45678

Jas45678 Initiate (0) May 11, 2013 Michigan

Blueberry Pancake is the only one still on, not sure about fills.

27. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Crusader (746) Sep 1, 2013 Michigan

How do they make those breakfast beers, extracts? I never really like it when a beer has non beer flavors and doesn't tell me how they got that flavor in there, don't want to be drinking a craft-a-rita.

28. LiquidTable

It's magic...

29. JohnB87

JohnB87 Initiate (114) Mar 14, 2011 Michigan

I have heard them state before that they use extracts for a lot of their weird flavored beers. Not sure which ones for sure, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.