Kuhnhenn DRIPA

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by SerialTicker, May 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Poo-Bah (1,760) Jun 18, 2012 Michigan

How does this stack up against other super popular, critically acclaimed DIPAs? (Sucks and Pliny and such)

I ask because I've had DRIPA, but not too many DIPAs on its level, besides Hopslam. There are plenty of good ones that I've had, but DRIPA and Hopslam have been considerably better.

2. sergeantstogie

sergeantstogie Aspirant (202) Nov 16, 2010 Washington

Hopfenunmaltz should be here shortly. I know he loves the stuff. This is one of those times I wish we could "tag" people.

3. dachshunddude86

dachshunddude86 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2012 Florida

Kuhnhenn DRIPA rAvg 4.32
    Lagunitas sucks rAvg 4.39
    Hopslam rAvg 4.53
    Pliny rAvg 4.65
    Heady rAvg 4.72

So basically DRIPA loses to the super popular, critically acclaimed DIPAs

4. SerialTicker

It's pretty much mindblowingly good... I've only had that happen to me a handful of times. That's why I'd be surprised there'd be a tastier DIPA (I rated Hopslam higher, but yeah..)

5. dachshunddude86

Nice quick edit to take out the part about fewer people having had DRIPA :wink:

That is why I took the rAvg ratings, they are an average of those who have tried it which means it really doesn't matter how many people have had it

6. SerialTicker

That's why I edited it.

For me, DRIPA doesn't drink so much like an IIPA as much as an IPA ... I don't know what makes a beer an IIPA though. I always assumed it was related to the ABV, but I don't know.

7. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2012 Michigan

FWIW, I'd take DRIPA over Hopslam any day and I enjoy it at least as much as the others mentioned.

DRIPA also has a lot fewer reviews/scores than the other ones listed. Seems to me if you got it to 2,000 or so ratings, you might see it rate closer to those others. The fact that you pretty much have to go to the brewery to get it means that probably won't happen.

Whatever, that's fine. I love the fact that I can go have a glass of it pretty much whenever I want.

semibaked likes this.
  8. dachshunddude86

The difference between an IPA and DIPA originates in the abv, but that also leads to different flavors and hopping levels. Since DIPAs use more grain they tend to also need more hops to balance out the sweetness from the extra malts. This is why beers such as hopslam have sweeter flavor profiles compared to something like Lagunitas IPA. If you want to go to the extreme of the example check out 120 which is super sweet despite the massive ammount of hops. Since DRIPA is a double rice IPA it will not have as much sweetness. The rice doesn't carry the same sweetness as malt does which leads to a crisper flavor.

Zaphog and Etan like this.
  9. SerialTicker

Agreed. I like Hopslam about equally, but they're quite a bit different. DRIPA's a beer I'd definitely choose to drink more often.

Michigan beer <3

Dachshund: Makes sense -- IIPAs have always seemed sweeter to me when I thought they'd be more bitter than IPAs. Explains why.

10. dachshunddude86

I've been trying to cut back on trading, but maybe you will have to help me change my mind :wink:

Zaphog likes this.
  11. SerialTicker

Is DRIPA in bottles BTW? I don't think I've seen it.

12. Steimie

You know you just have to ask.

13. Steimie

Growlers. Not sure it's ever been bottled.

14. SerialTicker

Didn't think so. I've only seen it on-tap.

15. tommyz

tommyz Devotee (419) May 28, 2007 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Only one better IMO is Heady...

jacob4999 likes this.
  16. SerialTicker

I've yet to try that. Given its limited distribution and my poor ass that's unable to afford trading, I'll just have to wait for it to send to Michigan -- or distribute to Massachusetts or New York or somewhere around there, so I can pick some up whenever I'm in that area.

...WHO THE HELL GOES TO VERMONT!?!?

17. Etan

Etan Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2011 Wisconsin

If you want to try another good rice DIPA, try trading for Flying Fish Exit 16 from New Jersey.

FEUO likes this.
  18. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Initiate (0) May 6, 2012 Illinois

Abrasive might be my favorite DIPA....

Tony412 likes this.
  19. DeviousSpirits

DeviousSpirits Initiate (182) Mar 23, 2009 Michigan
    Beer Trader

DRIPA should be rated a world-class beer, and fully representative of it's category. Since the malt backbone is much lighter than Sucks or Hopslam, I wouldn't compare it to either. To be honest, DRIPA is a unique beast, one that doesn't quite have an equal.

20. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,255) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

Yes I like this beer. Is it the best, maybe not, I do like Pliny a little more.

21. ASUBeer

ASUBeer Disciple (305) Nov 4, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

DRIPA is amazing. The rice gives it this clean, crisp finish that is unlike any other IPA I've had.

I'd definitely put Heady above it; as well as Double Sunshine, and HF IPAs (damn Vermont) I might put Pliny above it depending on my mood. But that is about it. I love DRIPA.

22. davey101

davey101 Meyvn (1,080) Apr 14, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Insert local + fresh IPA here

23. Beerlistman

Beerlistman Aspirant (270) Jul 9, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

DRIPA fresh on draft is the best I have ever had. I have had Pliny at RR, I have had fresh Heady from Alchemist, I have had Hopslam in Kalamazoo, DRIPA is just so clean and easy and the rice just makes it so unqiue. The smell alone is what every IPA should smell like. I will say that Abrasive is vastly underrated also, but the only reason DRIPA isn't tearing up the ratings is because they don't bottle/can it. Plus, it's not from California so it gets taken down because supposedly that's where all great beers come from.

24. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Aspirant (268) Jul 12, 2012 Utah
    Beer Trader

I think the best question here is why the fuck don't they bottle it??

steebo777 and szmnnl99 like this.
  25. SerialTicker

Pretty much.

California has some great beer. I'm probably pretty biased, but Michigan is a top two or three beer state... I don't know how it couldn't be. Kuhnhenn, Bell's, and Founders are three World-Class breweries off the top of my head, and there are dozens of other breweries that are better than average.

EDIT: Brewery Vivant, Dark Horse, Short's, etc.

Brianw508 likes this.
  26. mattvandyk

mattvandyk Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2013 Michigan

I put it on par with Zombie Dust. Actually, I prefer it a little to ZD because it's so damn clean; it's got all the "right" hoppy flavor of a great DIPA with a very unique finish, and then, bam, it's gone; no lingering aftertaste/bitterness/dry-mouth. It's really a phenomenal beer.

As far as putting them head to head, I prefer Hopslam, Pliny, Heady, and even Double Jack on a straight DIPA comparison; this is one of those rare instances where the group think mostly matches up with my personal preferences.

But, I can't drink any of those beers in quantity on a hot summer day, like I can DRIPA. That's what really sets it apart. Aside from Zombie Dust (which is close), I can't think of any other beer which can hold its own as well in a tasting and on the lawnmower.

It's really it's own thing in the taste department; nothing quite like it; plus it's versatile and delicious. Worth swinging by Warren if you're out that way for a growler or two.

27. Steimie

You're not familiar with Kuhnhenn, are you?

JohnB87, Tek9ne, Benny3000 and 3 others like this.
  28. tectactoe

tectactoe Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2012 Michigan

DRIPA is right up there in the conversation with Citra DIPA, Abrasive, Pliny, etc. Damn fine DIPA all around, tastes nothing like 9.5% ABV.

I think they have but they just forgot where they put all of the cases....

Savearth, BoneyardBrewer and Tek9ne like this.
  29. imfrommichigan

Beer Trader

Familiar enough that I would be willing to pay the $25+ it probably would cost for a 4 pack.

30. Benny3000

Benny3000 Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

DRIPA is the best IPA in the world IMO.

FEUO likes this.
  31. Benny3000

Benny3000 Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

What he meant was that if you are familiar with Kuhnhenn, you will know that they bottle what they choose on a schedule known to none. It is part of their charm.

Steimie likes this.
  32. imfrommichigan

Beer Trader

Oh I know what he meant. Just stating the other known fact. Their beers are always expensive but still, that doesn't stop me from purchasing them because they're just so damn good.

Edit: Worth every penny. I could live off some BB4D if my wallet didn't mind...

33. cetherid

cetherid Devotee (407) Aug 23, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

It is bottled (or has been bottled). I've never seen it to go or heard of it being released though.

[​IMG]

Savearth likes this.
  34. tectactoe

tectactoe Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2012 Michigan

:grimacing: what? Where is knifestyles? He will know more about this.

35. danp14

danp14 Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2011 Michigan

No for the US it's not. Once Kuhnhenn has a production facility we should see plenty of it stateside. They currently ship it to the Netherlands and i think they said a few other places in Europe (this info is from Todd during a brewery tour FWIW).

36. air

air Aspirant (228) Mar 28, 2007 Texas

Is this seasonal or year-round? The only Kuhnhenn beer I've had is BB4D and it was phenomenal. I'll be in Detroit Memorial Day weekend and I'll try and make a visit to Kuhnhenn as well.

37. Steimie

They usually have it on

38. jacob4999

jacob4999 Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2008 Michigan

Oh to be able to open my fridge and see those babies in there.

DRIPA is absolutely delicious stuff. A trip to Kuhnhenn is not proper until you have a glass of it. When it's not on (which isn't very often) It makes me sad. The only DIPA I would put above it is Heady. Otherwise the beer is a masterpiece.

39. BoneyardBrewer

BoneyardBrewer Initiate (105) Apr 24, 2005 Michigan

DRIPA over Heady or Hopslam? Yes! Its right there with the other top dipa's (Pliny, Abner) IMO.

40. SerialTicker

Others here have said what I've thought ...

Incredibly unique IIPA. Impossible to guess the ABV. Insanely drinkable. World-class beer.

BoneyardBrewer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.