Kuhnhenn Winter Solstice 2015

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by FEUO, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. red94tt

red94tt Disciple (371) Nov 27, 2008 Michigan
    Trader

Yep, I just walked in/out as well....almost 4pm and no line whatsoever. Lady at the register said they are starting to get low but may have enough to last through tomorrow.

2. TonyLuvsBeer

TonyLuvsBeer Aspirant (232) Mar 28, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Was just there. BB4D on tap and tasted delicious. Lots of four packs left.

3. Boosully

Boosully Initiate (139) Apr 8, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Still available. No line.

4. michiganitis

michiganitis Initiate (0) May 28, 2015 Michigan

At 4pm, there were no lines and a metric ton of everything still left. And there was no limit to how many of those mixed 4-packs you could buy.

5. Mattmc1973

Mattmc1973 Initiate (120) Jun 4, 2008 Michigan

Too bad you can't buy 6 packs of BBBW or 4 packs of BB4D like the old days (2 years ago and before)

6. esktime

esktime Zealot (531) Jan 21, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Why is there still beer left................cause at $35 for a four pack of beers that only two are worth the price, who the hell is going to buy that shit................................Major release and they had to go to unlimited 4 packs..............NICE...TYPICAL Kuhnhenn style!! After last year..........will never buy another one of their beers!

bassfishingguy likes this.
  7. bassfishingguy

bassfishingguy Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2014 Michigan

And that right there is why I didn't even consider making the trek over there today. When we could stand in line @ Dark Horse, and share some awesome bottles with each other, and then enjoy the hell out of the party Saturday (while picking up EXACTLY what we wanted within the posted limits), I have a VERY difficult time giving this brewery any of my money. But hey, I'm glad those who went enjoyed themselves (and were more than happy to pay these silly ass IMO prices).

I'm hoping Kuhnhenn has somebody on here reading this so they can get an idea of what their customers actually want vs. force feeding them some bottles they have no desire for (regardless of whether the other 2 beers are good or not is irrelevant; I equate this practice to a bottle shop forcing a customer to buy a Lolita @ $22 to get a bottle or 2 of BCBS @ (Insert Price)).

What I find absurd is the notion that they package the beer this way. At 4Elf, I chose NOT to get a few beers (or at least one that I know of - the Winter Warmer). Why? Because simply put, I had no interest in it. The beauty of their system (much like Odd Side Ales Hipster Brunch release) was CHOICE. Give the masses the CHOICE, and they will NOT disappoint. As much as I read about Kuhnhenn fucking things up, I don't ever see myself even giving them a chance.

To add insult to injury, those draft prices are just fucking rape. $15 for 5oz of KRE? No thank you. That's just shitting on your customers (which again, I am not - nor will I be given this type of shit).

Ferocious, WillHuberm and Bung like this.
  8. sculls65

sculls65 Aspirant (251) Dec 15, 2008 Michigan

I'm glad you didn't go to. You are right it's about choice. Either go and spend some money or not. Not everyone wants to spend a day and a half to get a couple cases beer at Dark Horse. Lighten up its the holidays and still only beer.

red94tt likes this.
  9. StoutItOutLoud

StoutItOutLoud Disciple (328) Apr 1, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

FWIW, they sold 375-mL bottles (12.7-oz) of KRE for $30 in November 2014 (3-case limit!). $15 for a 6-oz pour works out to almost no upcharge for draft. Certainly that's not common.

So, my point: is the price ridiculous without context? Well, yeah, of course $15 for 6 oz is ridiculous. . . . but relatively speaking? DISCLOSURE: I did not attend the party, so I cant comment on its quality, but if I wasnt 6 hours away I would have loved to try BBBW on tap, followed by a Creme Brulee, or a Fluffer chaser. And cant walk away from BB4D, IMO.

10. Birdrinker

Birdrinker Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2014 Colorado

You changed clothes?

HopSavant likes this.
  11. Cplonks

Cplonks Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2014 Michigan

I wasn't able to make it yesterday because of a college graduation and a cranky baby, but I heard bottles were lasting. Does anyone know if there were any 4-packs left by the end of the night? It's a 45 minute drive and I would have the aforementioned cranky baby, so I want the trip to be worth it.

12. HopSavant

HopSavant Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2014 Tennessee

Easy on the over 5pm that I called. Now to football Sunday...

13. bassfishingguy

bassfishingguy Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2014 Michigan

$30 for a 375-ml local offering? Yeah no thanks... Too many other great options at fair prices to even think about buying any of this (if it is released in bottles again). I'm sure the beer is great, but I can't justify that pricing. Again, for those who did go; hopefully you had a good time.

Edit: I didn't realize the bottles sold were so much when they were released last year, but it does make the draft price seem a little more 'reasonable'. Scary though when you can almost regularly find CBS on tap at Founders for like $7-8 for 8-10 oz (at most $1 / oz). I'll stay on the West Side for my beer lol.

14. onespartan

onespartan Initiate (186) Nov 1, 2008 Michigan

Just picked some up. Not sure how much is left but it is a 2 case limit so I'd assume quite a bit.

Sparty1224 likes this.
  15. TurdFurgison

TurdFurgison Poo-Bah (3,424) May 29, 2005 Ohio
    Society

Everyone has opinions, and here's mine (admittedly not important since I don't work for Kuhnhenn): I don't believe it was necessary to bottle the TRIPA and the Dark Heathen at all, they would do fine on tap for the celebration. Surely this was intended to increase the overall volume of bottles available "to go", in an effort to satisfy demand. Prabably the next thought was that these "filler" bottles had to be high ABV in order to justify a high price tag for everything. Otherwise why not bottle a more obvious fan favorite like Fluffer? Or maybe standard 4D (I'm guessing the effort that goes into making that is ~ the same as the Dark Heathen).

The Kuhnhenn solstice celebrations are always fun to attend, and really I'd be OK with no bottled beer to go at all. But if there must be bottle sales why not give your valued customers what they want?

Bung, WillHuberm and jaheussner like this.
  16. westlaunboy

westlaunboy Initiate (190) Mar 31, 2010 Washington
    Trader

I stopped in today just before 2 PM, seemed to still have a decent amount of 4pks available, as well as the Manhattan Project Mead. No line at all.

17. jaheussner

jaheussner Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2008 District of Columbia

Yeah- "a ton" of the 4pks left according to the bar guys at 3pm. Got a couple of bottles of Manhattan and a couple of BB Orange Blossom. Happy that this has gotten back to a "come the next day we'll have plenty left over" release, but not stoked about what was left over. You win some, you lose some. Still a great place to have a pint and talk with friends.

18. KBS

KBS Disciple (325) Apr 25, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

I hope the stuff sits, for weeks. If they re-did the 4 packs as two BB4d and two BBBW, then fine. Price is still higher than KBS, Hipster, etc but at least I would be ok with it. Repack the other two into their own 4 packs for $16 (which may still be high).

I'm sure they will be just fine without my business but they are getting zero $ from me. Laughable.

vette-ss, szmnnl99, Bung and 2 others like this.
  19. PrestigeWorldwide

PrestigeWorldwide Defender (634) Sep 22, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

I dressed warm. Actually too warm. Went to Brown Iron for lunch then went back to Kuhnhenn, then was off to clubhouse BFD for a pour of flight of the angry beast and griffin claw flying buffalo coffee.

The GC flying buffalo coffee might have been my favorite beer of the day (and that counts BB4D and BB American Imperial Stout)

docoman likes this.
  20. WillHuberm

WillHuberm Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2015 Germany

My first and only experience with BB4D was a 3 year old 2012 vintage.

it tasted like dry wall.

21. fiver29

fiver29 Devotee (402) Sep 18, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

I could have gone to this. I decided to go shopping at a mall with the wife instead. And I hate shopping.

Other words, I won't be going to an event like this any time soon.

22. 3DMan

3DMan Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2015 Michigan

For fun, let's say you have to do a split 4 pack. What would it be? Methinks BB4D, BBBW, Raspberry Eisbock & MI Mud. I would love it if Mud was bottled. Or maybe do a BB Mud... anyway, back to reality.

23. CD83

CD83 Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2014 Michigan

BB4D, BBBW, Solar Eclipse, and Solstice Stout. Ideal four pack. I would've drained my bank account if those were the bottles.

docoman likes this.
  24. docoman

docoman Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2014 Michigan

I think this year's reg GC flying buffalo best yet! Want to try their Great Lake coffee and their coffee side by side next.

25. docoman

docoman Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2014 Michigan

I 2nd that 4 pack suggestion, haven't had solar eclipse but if anything close to as good as last year's solstice stout I'm for it.

26. core42

core42 Zealot (556) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

Do you ever have anything positive to say or are just on here to shit on everything?
    PS...serious question

27. TonyLuvsBeer

Trader

I had BB4D at the Summer Solstice event and the taste was very good but the smell.........meh. BB4D at the Winter Solstice event.....taste - incredible - loved it and the smell was very good - they changed something up....awesome stuff.

Sparty1224 likes this.
  28. TurdFurgison

TurdFurgison Poo-Bah (3,424) May 29, 2005 Ohio
    Society

Just FYI, Mud was bottled a few years ago (I think at the 2012 or 2013 Solstice, something like $8/bottle).

29. westlaunboy

Trader

I think it was at the March 2014 Spring bottle release.

Ckoz likes this.
  30. Blowofftube

Blowofftube Initiate (86) Dec 26, 2012 Michigan

Any 4 packs left? Taking extended punch if so...

31. chuckgietzen

chuckgietzen Initiate (0) Nov 10, 2014 Michigan

Yes there are. They had a couple cases left just now, when I popped in.

Gemini6 likes this.
  32. goryshkewych

goryshkewych Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2006 Ohio

I just left also. Still 2 case limit

33. westlaunboy

Trader

Wonder how many people have actually done this and dropped $420 for 12 bottles each of BB4D, BBBW, TRIPA, and DH.

34. TonyLuvsBeer

Trader

When I was there - I saw a guy get a case of just TRIPAs. They would not let you mix and match in BB4D of BBBW.

35. JasonR1975

JasonR1975 Zealot (572) Jun 11, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Also, Willie Huber was the worst Red Wing in my lifetime, coincidence??

36. jaheussner

jaheussner Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2008 District of Columbia

This is dumb. If it's a set 4pk, it's a set 4pk. By letting a guy walk out with a case of TRIPA they're implicitly agreeing with most on this thread that TRIPA is a much less desirable beer. Kuhnhenn said they have approximately the same bottle count for each solstice beer, so it's not like they've got 100 extra cases of TRIPA in the back- something that would justify letting a guy walk out with a case of TRIPA and would leave the remaining 4pks unaffected.

Maybe they in fact do have a great deal of extra TRIPA- if that's the case than disregard this post. Just seems like a shitty move to me and reinforces the idea of a TRIPA/ DH "tax" to get BBBW/BB4D.

Bung, TurdFurgison and wezzul like this.
  37. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2013 Michigan

Bet they have 2x the TRIPA as they do BBBW & BB4D

38. TonyLuvsBeer

Trader

Actually..........drank a TRIPA last night and it was pretty darn good - reminded me of the DRIPA which I like a lot.

39. 3DMan

3DMan Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2015 Michigan

Maybe they're selling TRIPA by itself so they can make some more $28 gift baskets with one bottle of BB4D.

40. Mattmc1973

Mattmc1973 Initiate (120) Jun 4, 2008 Michigan

Now that Solstice is over why not just let people buy BBBW and BB4D? Stupid to do the mix 4 packs to begin with but why not now just sell people what they want?

Bung likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.