Kveik, The Hottest New Centuries Old Beer Yeast You've Never Heard Of

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Immortale25, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,047) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Trader

2. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,745) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

3. islay

islay Aspirant (278) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

4. MFMB

MFMB Meyvn (1,036) Jan 23, 2015 Idaho

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Localish brewery has been doing a whole series of Kveik beers. Had their most recent one the other day called Thai Tom Kah. My favorite of the bunch is their peach cobbler one. They won gold at GABF last year for their Kveik 1. Not a fan of their branding but the Kveik series beers are tasty. This was posted a year or so ago tho I think. Oh well! Cheers

VoxRationis, eppCOS and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  5. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,451) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

I made a Kveik starter yesterday. Looking forward to the homebrewed beer with that yeast.

6. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (2,006) Mar 7, 2013 Quebec (Canada)
    Trader

I'm getting ready to try brewing it for the first time next week. I'm excited to see what it's like. The temps here are finally getting brutally hot so it should be interesting. I look forward to trying to dry the yeast and save it in the freezer afterwards. Apparently you can keep using it for 20 years that way. It really is something else.

On a side note, any fan of beer or just interesting stuff in general in this thread that hasn't yet done so, should go check out the larsga farmhouse beer blog. It's fascinating and highlights some really cool aspects of beer and culture that you don't often get to read about. That's what stoked a lot of the current interest in kveik.

7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,096) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

What beer style will you be brewing with your Kveik yeast strain? Which specific brand/strain are you using?

Maybe you could start a thread in the homebrewing forum sharing your thoughts about the batch.

Cheers!

8. TheDoctor

Trader

That's a good idea. I always forget to participate in the homebrewing section on here. I just might.

I will be using Voss Kveik from Escarpment labs. I decided to try an IPA since the yeast apparently throws orange esters and I thought that could go well with some of the hops I have on hand. I plan on fermenting it around 90. I have yet to decide if I'm going to severely underpitch or not. I've read that that if I pitch a"normal" amount it is just really clean, which also sounds nice. I will try to keep track of what I do and post something. From what I've read I could theoretically have a bottle conditioned IPA by next NBS, but we'll see how it all goes.

9. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,096) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I just, for the first time, heard of this company a couple of weeks ago during my conversation with the brewer of Big Spruce Brewery (Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia). They obtain their yeast from Escarpment.

Does Escarpment sell 'better' than other yeast vendors (e.g., Wyeast, White Labs,...) at your homebrew stores? Are they fresher?

Cheers!

P.S. I too have thought about using a Kveik yeast strain to brew an IPA. I look forward to reading about your adventure here.

Cheers!

10. TheDoctor

Trader

Definitely not. There are actually a couple local yeast places, the other is out of here in Québec. They have a pretty limited selection where I buy my ingredients compared to the other companies, but what I've tried has been good and the packs are always fresher than wlp and wyeast.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  11. Minipork

Minipork Initiate (151) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois

One of the cool things is you dont need a starter. I used one pouch of Omega Voss in 5.5 gallons DIPA OG 1.070. It hit 1.012 in 3 days. And i pitched it at 90F

12. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,424) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Haven’t seen any Kveik yet in the greater Los Angeles area

13. hopfenunmaltz

This was 5 dried chops of yeast, in a small ziplock. The supplier said to make a 1 liter starter.

Edit these were supplied by Escarpment Labs out of Guelph Ontario. My guess is the you had Omega.

TheDoctor likes this.
  14. hopfenunmaltz

Chips of yeast.

15. JimboBrews54

JimboBrews54 Champion (857) Apr 22, 2018 Michigan
    Trader

I have been looking into an ale where I can break this stuff out and harvest off of it. I am going to be doing a hemp ale with my buddy in August, I have researched it and it seems like it is going to work out with a pale ale back bone with the hops. Galaxy and fuggles seem like it is going to give a good balance to the hemp, but I feel this kviek is going to add a great balance. Any suggestions?

16. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (113) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

Depends on the strain, obvs, but the general advice is to underpitch if you want the fruity esters and overpitch if you want a lager-like clean ferment. But yeah, people are pitching like 1g of dried or 1 tsp of slurry for a 5-6gal batch and still having fermentation finish in 2-3 days.

17. JimboBrews54

Trader

2 to 3 days!?!?!?!?

deadwolfbones likes this.
  18. deadwolfbones

Indeed.

I've been seeing primary fermentation finish in 36 hours recently on non-kveik batches where I do a 1L starter (mostly saisons), but a couple-few days with 1g/1tsp of yeast is still bonkers.

JimboBrews54 likes this.
  19. JimboBrews54

Trader

Is it even recommended to have yeast started and let it go longer than 2 to 3 days?

20. deadwolfbones

I'm not sure I understand the question.

JimboBrews54 likes this.
  21. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Savant (922) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Kveik Fest 2019

We like Kveik.

Burnt City Brewing is proud to announce the First Annual Kveik Fest with special guest Lars Marius Garshol!

Kveik is a Norwegian farmhouse ale yeast has only recently become readily available to American brewers, and a lot of us are having tons of fun experimenting with it. Kveik Fest is an invitational celebration of kveik, featuring local breweries and a number of breweries that don’t show up often in Chicago. This great lineup of breweries will come together on September 7th to bring you one of the most unique beer fests Chicago has ever seen!

At Kveik Fest you can expect your taste buds to experience an extravaganza of different flavors and styles all made with kveik yeast. Don’t make the mistake of assuming this means all the beers will be the same. Kveik is an incredibly versatile yeast, lending itself to many different styles and flavor profiles. We’re excited to see what these great breweries concoct for this one-of-a-kind event!

We are ecstatic and very honored to announce that Lars Marius Garshol of Larsblog (http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/), a leading expert on kveik and farmhouse brewing techniques, will be traveling from Norway to talk with Kveik Fest attendees. Come prepared with questions of the funkiest kind to engage with Lars while sipping on kveik beer samples. To keep the fun going we’ll be bringing you some funky entertainment, games, and amusements of all sorts!

Kveik Fest is being organized with incredible support from our friends at Omega Yeast. We thank them for making this event possible and for introducing us to kveik.

deadwolfbones and BuffaloBill12 like this.
  22. JimboBrews54

Trader

I meant to ask, can you let this go longer for two or three days to ferment?

And do you need a yeast starter with Kviek?

23. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,605) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

24. deadwolfbones

There's no issue with leaving beer in primary after it reaches FG (up to a month or so). I'm just saying kveik tends to finish very fast, in 2-3 days in most people's experience.

You definitely don't need a starter with kveik; the typical advice for pitching is 1g of dry yeast or 1tsp of slurry. But making one (and essentially drastically overpitching) might help suppress the fruity flavors some strains produce and give you a more neutral/lager-like result. (This varies by strain, though, as I understand it.)

JimboBrews54 likes this.
  25. JimboBrews54

Trader

That helps substantially. I am going to be making a hemp ale, I need to limit the fruit and make the hop/hemp profile come alive. When I get around to my NEIPA and use the kviek, then I will be dialing it back to get the fruit aromas and flavors.

26. deadwolfbones

I should add that the pitching advice I mentioned there is specific to the recommending pitching temp, which is usually around 90F. If you ferment cooler, you probably do need a bit more yeast to start with.

JimboBrews54 likes this.
  27. JimboBrews54

Trader

I definitely plan on pitching it when it cools down.

28. hopfenunmaltz

Last August I talked with two Norwegians in Bamberg, and we soon figured out we all homebrewed. The one guy said he has a mixed culture, and it is done in 24 hours at 100F.

That what I remember. Don't know anything else about pitch rate or fermentation temps, so don't ask.

Witherby and TheDoctor like this.
  29. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (589) Mar 28, 2009 California

If anybody listens to podcasts Brulosopy did one with Kveik yeast. It’s a good listen.

30. Minipork

Minipork Initiate (151) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois

31. JimboBrews54

Trader

I get that, but it will help create a smoother and cleaner finish when the complimentary flavors of the hops shining through with the hemp.

It seems like the temperature variables are there but the yeast does well in any kind of fluctation, which is exactly what I am looking for since I like to brew in an old European/farmhouse style tradition.

http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/393.html

32. AndrewK

AndrewK Aspirant (271) Oct 20, 2006 California

Long Beach Beer Lab has made a few Kveik-fermented beers.

TrojanRB likes this.