LA/OC Supermarket & Bottleshop Thread (Q2 2018)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Frosty11161, Apr 2, 2018.

1. darkmoon66

darkmoon66 Aspirant (248) Oct 8, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Monkish can release today was $25 per 4-pack, so unfortunately $20+ is where the market is at :confused:

Yabu likes this.
  2. BeerBaron666

BeerBaron666 Aspirant (266) May 13, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

BRB regular orderville $10 4 packs and way better anyway

J_BeerTimeYo and UnknownKoger like this.
  3. darkmoon66

Beer Trader

I have to disagree that Orderville is "way better" than Focal or Heady. Say what you will about the pricing, the beers themselves are fantastic.

Yabu and j47paco like this.
  4. JenKimmich

JenKimmich Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2014 Vermont

Well, if we send beer to California again, we will work on getting the wholesale price down- tough when you are direct shipping it on a refrigerated truck. But we will definitely work on getting it down so that 4-packs can retail in the $15-$16 range. If the wholesale price is now 13.95 and an industry standard of 30% markup for grocers is added, that would put retail at $18.13. A little bit in either direction is expected (especially with specialty stores), but you know when something is marked up 100%. Totally legal and retailers have a right to do it, but we want to know about it. Our consumers are always our best advocates and this feedback helps us improve future distribution. Thanks...

5. OTB

OTB Devotee (437) Sep 2, 2011 California

If this is true anyone who sets foot in that dump is a fool, plain and simple, they're giving the trade a black eye, if anyone from Mr. K's is reading this, SHAME ON YOU you fuckbags.

Cheers,

D09daryl likes this.
  6. j47paco

j47paco Initiate (112) Dec 19, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Which bars?

7. Rbarnes4381

Rbarnes4381 Aspirant (208) Oct 29, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

And at $25 they can keep their 4 pack, maybe i'd split one, but today's monkish release also has vanilla, and that is becoming crazy expensive. Their regular releases are around $20-$22. Maybe $24 for a triple.
    While Heady topper has tons of hops, i'd be willing to bet it is less than most monkish releases.

And regular Orderville is not better than any of the alchemist beers, but for $12 a 4 pack it is a steal.

8. IcyTrout

IcyTrout Initiate (128) Feb 1, 2018 California
    Beer Trader

Monkish prices went up $1 across the board a month ago.

9. IcyTrout

Beer Trader

Someone posted on a facebook group that a liquor store required customers to 1.Join their "membership" 2.Buy a bottle 3.Then they would sell you one can for $8

I really really hate greedy fucks, in no way is $13.95 wholesale a lot for this type of beer FYI. A lot of CA breweries are charging more wholesale for beer that doesn't need to be shipped across the entire country.

OTB likes this.
  10. OTB

Mockeries, Monkishs' DDH TIPA release last week was $ 27 per 4pack, the cost to brew a DDH TIPA is way up there so I felt like It was a very fair price, honesty if the allotment was 2PP instead of 1PP I wouldn't have thought twice, it may be the best TIPA I've had. Speaking of great values, try Modern Times Avalon, I stopped into the DTLA DOJO yesterday and picked up a super fresh 4 pack for $10+ change.

Cheers,

#130 OTB, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
    UnknownKoger and BeerBaron666 like this.
  11. OTB

Hence my post above. I have a bottle shop in our neighborhood that was selling Heady a year and half ago, total gray market stuff for $ 40 per can. Never walked in again, can't stand price gouging, and my God, it's 2018, its not like Heady & Focal Banger are that rare a beer these days. I'd spend $20 for a 4 pack give or take a buck but that's it.

Cheers,

IcyTrout likes this.
  12. OTB

Sucks isn't the word I am thinking of.

Cheers,

13. Hype_Train

Hype_Train Initiate (195) Feb 8, 2017 California

@Mike100proof

14. ComradePalmer

ComradePalmer Aspirant (223) Jul 27, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Cans of Heady are available at Sunset Beer in Echon Park. Looks like they’ll get more cans on Friday per there instagram. No idea what the cost is, though.

15. Barchetta21

Barchetta21 Initiate (144) Jun 30, 2009 California

Per IG, it looks like he was selling them at $6.99 each, so all 3 for around $24 after tax, not $24/each.

Frosty11161 and OTB like this.
  16. OTB

That's acceptable, far from the $96 per four pack previously posted. Carry On.

Cheers,

Frosty11161 likes this.
  17. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Devotee (406) May 19, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Don't know where that load of manure came from, but you kinda owe Mike, the owner, a 'so sorry', dontcha think?

18. JayORear

JayORear Savant (962) Feb 22, 2012 California
    Premium Member Beer Trader

I guess I read it as $24 for a 4-pack that includes one of each beer. Which doesn’t make sense cuz there’s 3 beers?

lanedlr and darkmoon66 like this.
  19. darkmoon66

Beer Trader

I think you guys misinterpreted his post, he meant that it's $24 for all 3 (i.e 'one can of each', totaling to 3 cans). It was just written in an easy to confuse way.

beronberon, JayORear and lanedlr like this.
  20. annakarina

annakarina Initiate (154) Jul 29, 2016 California

Yeah, he said “for one can of each.” You guys read it as “for each can.”

JayORear likes this.
  21. Vanlingleipa

Beer Trader

Man, need me a beer translator. And a beer.

22. Rbarnes4381

Rbarnes4381 Aspirant (208) Oct 29, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Already got a 4 pack. The Fremont ipa’s are also a great value.

23. dcgunman

dcgunman Crusader (752) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Fuc y’all’s price gouging and sh!te. I’ll just fly to the source and get it at regular cost. :stuck_out_tongue:

JayORear likes this.
  24. Kavinci

Kavinci Initiate (194) Apr 20, 2016 California
    Beer Trader

I picked up all 3 four packs here in Escondido, $20/pack. Weird, these Heady didn’t have chunks in it like I have experienced in the past.
    Good to have some different stuff in the fridge. I’ll probably give most of the cans to friends.

25. Mike100proof

Mike100proof Initiate (156) Jan 21, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

There is no need for apology and if price gauging was my intention I would be doing that while back when I started craft. As much as I'm excited about getting Alchemist I still have to still treat as regular beer. People don't realize what happens in back end of the business and what it takes for us to get certain beers. Ever wonder why some store didn't get Alchemist? Every situation is different and what lead me to keep the price $6.99 will always be kept internally. If anybody thinks it was price gauge I apologize. Btw if any of u drunk ass didn't kill all the beer I'll rebuy it for double the price. Beer come and go but friendships are forever. Fyi I'm getting Cantillon tomorrow. Cheers!

26. whiskey

whiskey Aspirant (289) Feb 25, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

@JenKimmich thanks for chiming in. Heady was the first beer to really blow my mind, stoked to hopefully find some to sample again this week.

27. JayORear

It still blows my mind. No one has come close to duplicating it.

J_BeerTimeYo, whiskey and beronberon like this.
  28. whiskey

whiskey Aspirant (289) Feb 25, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

OK, I've seen people comment that it's still good but there's so many better beers now etc... but the last time I had it a couple of years ago it was still super dank, fresh cut grass greenness. Just felt like I was drinking actual liquid hops. Nothing has come close since. Really hoping I can score some today.

JayORear likes this.
  29. JayORear

People might prefer other beers, but there’s just no other beer with the taste you’ve described. Same with Focal.

whiskey likes this.
  30. AlexM

AlexM Zealot (556) Jun 9, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

LMAO, I find it amusing that people bitch about Mr. K's prices ... Mr. K's gauges??? No way in hell ... it's pretty much like walking into Costco - just buy because it's a no-brainer that you are getting a solid deal ... dude has been a valuable asset to the OC craft beer scene for a VERY long time!

31. IcyTrout

Beer Trader

Same, Mr K's in no way gouges. Like you said you can walk in there and buy anything and know you are not getting fucked. Plus "Mr. K" (I don't actually know the owners name) is a super dope dude that is fun to shoot the shit with.

AlexM likes this.
  32. johnInLA

johnInLA Crusader (775) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Premium Member

Never had a bad experience at Mr. K's.

Although I wish the receipts were itemized, minor nit pick, I know.

But overall, a great bottle shop.

AlexM likes this.
  33. dcgunman

Beer Trader

dope dude shoot shit........:astonished:

34. dcgunman

Beer Trader

I don’t believe Mr K’s would charge $24 per can of Alchemist. Especially for Head. Maybe $24 for a 4pk. Or $24 for 3 cans (one each of the cans?). But for one can? No way. Can anybody here confirm this?

IcyTrout likes this.
  35. IcyTrout

Beer Trader

It was confirmed here or another post that it was 24 for the three cans not 24 a can.

dcgunman likes this.
  36. ComradePalmer

ComradePalmer Aspirant (223) Jul 27, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

The previous responses have in fact confirmed that Mr. K's is not price gouging folks. This pointless brouhaha all started because someone wasn't hooked on phonics.

IcyTrout and dcgunman like this.
  37. Vanlingleipa

Beer Trader

From Mike of Mr. K's

BTW, I may not be hooked on phonics but I am a spd rdr

IcyTrout likes this.
  38. ChazMania

ChazMania Aspirant (296) Jun 13, 2006 California

@JenKimmich thank you for chiming in on freshness and cost. When I got home and cracked a Focal Banger, at first taste I knew it was fresh! Then I had Heady and it was marvelous! I paid 22.99 for each 4pk here which was the most I've ever paid for a 4pk. If you do further shipments and get that to sub 20, that would be magnificent!

IcyTrout likes this.
  39. dcgunman

Beer Trader

Okay. That’s better. I would pay 24 for 3. 1 can each per person. $7 per can. Hell I paid some ridiculous amount for that crap Offshoot can release that I couldn’t give away. I was so pissed off. I cannot remember that name of that release now I’m so pissed. It tasted like medicine or kerosene.

40. Mike100proof

Mike100proof Initiate (156) Jan 21, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Hey thanks for your kind words. Most customer do not ask for itemized receipts but they do want terminal receipt. you can ask me or my bro for itemized and/or terminal receipt. Even if you forget to ask you can even come in later and we can pull it up for you. Our POS system stores all transaction up to a year. Cheers!

Flodiesel, gregoryG and johnInLA like this.