Release Lagunitas Eroica Flemish Farmhouse

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by raynmoon, Mar 10, 2017.

1. raynmoon

raynmoon Defender (687) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

#1 raynmoon, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2017
  2. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Meyvn (1,126) Mar 1, 2009 California

Damn. Thinking they are proving to be the highest quality, variety & price friendly widely distributed brewery in the US.

3. HorseheadsHopHead

HorseheadsHopHead Champion (800) Sep 15, 2014 New York

Ooh. This sounds tasty. I'm going to hop on this as soon as I see it.

Robtobfest likes this.
  4. LavaLite

LavaLite Aspirant (217) Dec 3, 2016 Illinois
    Subscriber

Pun intended ? Lol :)

5. thebeers

thebeers Meyvn (1,175) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

The site says it's a "golden saison-sour" aged in red wine barrels. I was thinking this was a Flanders red, like say Rodenbach, but I don't think that's the case. Still sounds interesting though.

Gemini6 and StoutElk_92 like this.
  6. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (2,821) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Agree, not a Rodenbach-like Flander's Red, but the Saison aged in Red Wine barrels definitely sounds interesting and worth a try. Wonder when we'll start seeing it here is SE PA?

7. thebeers

Beer Trader

A couple/few weeks after it starts popping up on WBAYDN, I reckon

Barracudas and drtth like this.
  8. RBassSFHOPit2ME

They did say "Lagunitas Style."

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  9. rypkr

rypkr Zealot (581) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I wonder if this is going to be a difficult acquisition like high westified was

Thecalmdrinker likes this.
  10. Bond111

Bond111 Aspirant (226) Feb 14, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Sounds good. I'll have to try it. Just picked up their Davey Murray & Doppel today.

11. akolb

akolb Defender (635) Aug 8, 2015 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Sounds worth a shot.

12. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Zealot (581) Sep 2, 2007 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Which is code for "nothing like the style we've claimed to make." They make some great beers, but this shit is getting downright obnoxious.

13. Urk1127

Urk1127 Savant (962) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I'm liking the styles other than ipa. Sakitumi, Dave Murrays Best Scotch, High Westified. One of my favorite breweries right now.

14. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Disciple (357) Oct 21, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

What's your beef? They are clearly doing good some great things with price point and format/value .not brewed to style? Too hoppy?.....

15. Brolo75

Brolo75 Meyvn (1,389) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Lagunitas is nailing it on the price point for barrel aged beers. Going give this one a try.

Barracudas likes this.
  16. BigJim5021

Beer Trader

There's nothing about my post that wasn't clear. By my own admission, they make some fantastic beers. However, they put out far too many beers that claim to be one thing, but are completely unrecognizable compared to other beers in the style. If I grab a six pack of gose, I don't want to get home and find out that the beer tastes like an IPA. Tuberfest was supposedly a "malty lager" (and the name was clearly meant to invoke Oktoberfest) and instead it was basically a red IPA. At this point, I'm surprised when I have a Lagunitas brew and it doesn't taste like an IPA.

RDMII, Gemini6, SFNC and 4 others like this.
  17. fmccormi

fmccormi Meyvn (1,267) Oct 24, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Huh. Well this one has my attention. I hope it's better than Aunt Sally, though—that was pretty disappointing, to me.

18. RBassSFHOPit2ME

Haaaaaaaaave......you been to 3Floyds?

19. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Disciple (357) Oct 21, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I hear ya- but we all know what they are and what they do.
    I think what they are doing is obnoxious too- but in a great way
    High Westified= absolute best beer value ever offered hands down
    Born Yesterday= best nationally distributed IPA ever!
    Waldos =2nd best beer value ever!
    = Positively obnoxious.

20. thebeers

Beer Trader

In fairness to Lagunitas, this thread calls this new beer a Flemish Red, but their packaging and description doesn't say that anywhere. They say Lagunitas-style golden saison aged in wine barrels and funkified with Brett. I can sort of picture that in my mouth-brain, but I think style expectations fly out the window with that description.

21. zid

zid Crusader (734) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Here's the description from Lagunitas:

"This is a Lagunitas-ified version of a traditional Flemish Farmouse ale, aged in red wine oak barrels and funkied up with Brettanomyces yeast. It’s a golden saison-sour with a nice tartness that leaves your buds quenched and wanting more."

So it seems to be a modern American-hopped mixed-fermentation saison aged in wine barrels. Clearly not a Flanders red... and not the beer Lagunitas made before called Eroica Ale. I'm wondering why they'd even bother to call it a "version of a traditional Flemish farmouse ale." What is a traditional Flemish farmouse ale in their eyes and how would this relate?

I have no interest in reading the entire High West-ified thread so forgive me if this opinion has already been stated there... but all the talk of value with this company (prices for 6 packs of barrel aged beer... Eroica included) must clearly be related to the power of Heineken.

22. adam42381

adam42381 Savant (915) Oct 10, 2005 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

They were the best value way before the Heineken buyout.

23. rgordon

rgordon Defender (655) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Well, it should be smoked, right?

24. zid

zid Crusader (734) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Thanks. Didn't know that.

25. RBassSFHOPit2ME

Panama "Flemish" Red.

rgordon and LavaLite like this.
  26. BigJim5021

Beer Trader

Fair is fair. If they didn't call it a Flanders red then I have no beef. Golden saison aged in red wine barrels with brett is actually way more of a description of what you're getting than they usually offer. Hell, credit where credit is due on the scads of beers that they make where they don't classify them as any particular style (because they wouldn't fit a style classification).

Unfortunately High Westified never made it around here. Born Yesterday was very good. One bottle of Waldo's was more than enough for me. Not my kind of DIPA. Way too boozy and sweet.

Harrison8 and RBassSFHOPit2ME like this.
  27. HopsCraftHouse

HopsCraftHouse Initiate (45) Mar 18, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

This beer does sound amazing. Lagunitas has been hitting some home runs the past year or two. I really wish they would package "Dark Swan". That was hands down one of the most unique sours I have ever had.

28. Harrison8

Harrison8 Meyvn (1,270) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Agreed. I had it on tap since I had never seen it in bottles. I figured it was a new beer and bottles were next. It was absolutely delicious, and then to my dismay, bottles weren't a thing.

Lagunitas is absolutely crushing it this year. Other breweries reverting only to IPAs for sales, take note. Lagunitas is a brewery, not an IPA factory. And as long as Lagunitas beers continue to stay available and High Westified was just a distribution fluke, I'll stick to that statement.

rypkr likes this.
  29. RBassSFHOPit2ME

I'm not sure why you sound surprised by this. They've been doing exactly what you mention for well over a decade.

30. RDMII

RDMII Disciple (341) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

Flemish farmhouse? Never knew this existed.

I agree their prices are killer, but I also was heavily letdown by Tuberfest. That was the hoppiest "malty lager" ever brewed. It was way more IPA than half their hoppy lineup, and suggesting it was anything else was just silly. We'll see where this lands in terms of per style.

31. BigJim5021

Beer Trader

Maybe because I haven't had access to their beers for well over a decade?

32. RBassSFHOPit2ME

Touché. Well played.

33. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Aspirant (267) May 5, 2015 Illinois

I'm a huge fan of Lagunitas but this one sounds notso gouda.

34. HorseheadsHopHead

HorseheadsHopHead Champion (800) Sep 15, 2014 New York

Actually, no. That was coincidental. o_O

35. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Champion (865) Nov 3, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Giving this one a try for sure.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe