Release Lagunitas Releases Hop Water

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by deadwolfbones, Aug 23, 2018.

1. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (65) Jun 21, 2014 California

https://www.lagunitas.com/story/hopwater

Lagunitas Hop Water is a fresh take on an old tradition ... An IPA-inspired refreshment that's zero-alcohol, zero-carbohydrate, and zero-calorie, made using everything we know about hops. It's chock-full of Citra, Equinox, and Centennial hops, as well as some natural flavors and a pinch brewer's yeast to biotransform-ate the hops to just the right flavor.

What is biotransformation? Brewmonster Jeremy Marshall put it best: “Yeast biotransforms the existing hop terpenes into more desirable terpenes. You need yeast to liberate the hop flavors, and that’s the most important thing that we know from making IPAs, and we leveraged it in making Hop Water.” Whatever that means…

So what about the Hop Water? Jeremy Marshall describes it as “refreshing on its own… it fills that ‘Oh, I want to have an IPA, but it’s 9:30 in the morning and I’m out of IPAs’ kind of thing.”

Try the Hop Water on its own for a beer-like tasting experience (without the alcohol, of course), or mix it with your favorite spirit to add a hoppy zing to your cocktail game! Jeremy says, “Think of it like a club soda… with soul. Lots of soul. Like Rick James and James Brown. Rick Brown.”

It's a variation on a theme of 25 years of edgy brewing at the edge of brewing. Cheers!

RobNewton likes this.
  2. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (518) Dec 12, 2014 California

By the name I thought it was a session IPA...

...Well it kind of is

3. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Zealot (515) Nov 23, 2017 California
    Trader

I'm not quite sure who this targets besides non-alcoholic beer drinkers.

4. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (29) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

This sounds like the equivalent of that Canabis water they’re doing, except this is the version for states where it is still illegal...or for people who aren’t into the marijuana thing.

5. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,456) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

Maybe I'll pick this up for when I'm in training and want hops. Brew Dr. Kombucha's Citrus Hops scratches that itch when I desire hops, but don't want alcohol.

Also, Narrow Gauge makes a beer called Hop Water that's a 3% session IPA. I very much enjoyed it during my visit.

LuskusDelph and sharpski like this.
  6. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,345) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

I've had some kombucha with hops that I really enjoyed, which @Harrison8 already referenced. I imagine kombucha with hops will be better than water with hops, but would he happy to try and find out.

sharpski likes this.
  7. WhiteHart

WhiteHart Initiate (32) Apr 16, 2018 North Carolina

“Yeast biotransforms the existing hop terpenes into more desirable terpenes. You need yeast to liberate the hop flavors, and that’s the most important thing that we know from making IPAs..."
    First I've heard about this.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  8. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (412) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio

Had a variant of this at Lagunitas a few months back. It was actually really quite good for what it was.

If I remember correctly, I want to say the version we tried had a faint bit of sweetness (very light wort used and further diluted), but wasn't fermented of course. Everybody who tasted it enjoyed it as well in our tour group. Looks like they kept working on it to come up with this. I am excited to give this a try.

#8 invertalon, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    LuskusDelph likes this.
  9. AWA

AWA Aspirant (213) Jul 22, 2014 California

This would have been a much better idea before I was able to drink at work.

10. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (642) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

As long as it's not $10 a six I'm in.

$1 a bottle is all I will go.

Could be great to drink in the car after a grueling day.

Enjoy

Edit.....searching this online I found at least two other drinks with the same name. Let the lawsuits begin.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  11. deadwolfbones

Pretty well-known in homebrew circles these days. It's why NEIPAs/hazies taste so citrusy. Dry-hopping while the yeast is still active transforms the more floral terpenes in hops into terpenes that express as orange/passionfruit/guava/etc.

12. WhiteHart

WhiteHart Initiate (32) Apr 16, 2018 North Carolina

That was a bit of a joke. It's good to see someone is finally going for the pure form of this so maybe they'll stop mucking up beer with this process.

deadwolfbones likes this.
  13. deadwolfbones

Haha, sorry. Went right over my head. :grinning:

14. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,556) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Premium Trader

This was getting to be big when I was over in Poland, guy at beer store wouldn't sell me beer until I took one (not really, but he was insistent). I thought it was ok, but the biotrans.. that is interesting, curious what they coaxed out of it. Yeah I will buy it. Just call it part of the one-hitter series. Shit I buy everyone of those

15. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,400) Sep 15, 2014 New York

Hmmm...well, I do love hops, and I drink a lot of sparkling water. I would definitely try it.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  16. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,949) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

I can make my own hop tea.

Alefflicted likes this.
  17. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,001) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium

Actually this is for alcoholic beer-drinkers

LuskusDelph, Lahey and FarmerTed like this.
  18. ryan1788a5

ryan1788a5 Poo-Bah (1,873) Nov 27, 2009 Massachusetts

Heard about this. The idea is . . . interesting. I'll keep an open mind and give it a try. I can picture it being a good mixer in gin and tequila cocktails. Not sure exactly what their target demo is, but seems like the kind of thing you could pump through Whole Foods or target at artisan-type shops. Maybe there would be traction beyond that? IDK. At any rate, industry friends tell me this will only be test marketed in CA and AZ for the time being.

jamvt likes this.
  19. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,345) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Hmm, I hadn't thought about the effervescence part of this. I really dislike sparkling water so now I am a little more meh about this.

20. BayAreaJoe

Trader

They're gonna be disappointed at the ABV level.

21. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Aspirant (236) May 31, 2011 Colorado

I'm looking forward to it, I drink a lot of seltzers, but I do wonder how shelf-stable this will be. Cartons of seltzer normally aren't refrigerated.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  22. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (64) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

I really want to say I won't, but honestly if given the opportunity, I will at least give it a try.

23. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (315) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I drink enough hops with the alcohol. I think drinking hop water would pretty much be rock bottom for me:stuck_out_tongue: I'll just take the water part, but I would try this once.

TheGent likes this.
  24. beardown2489

beardown2489 Disciple (323) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

This is a grave mistake

DrumKid003 likes this.
  25. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,001) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium

"Grave" sounds dangerous, deadly, or devastating. How so? It's not like they're betting the farm on this and dropping their other products. Might be a stupid business decision that will play out, but it won't hurt Lagunitas significantly. I suspect they've done some market research/testing and believe it won't be a total bust.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  26. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (321) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia

Any thoughts on how the yeast will be active in this hop water though? With no sugars there’s nothing for them to metabolize.

27. deadwolfbones

That's a very good point! No clue.

28. RobNewton

RobNewton Zealot (523) Dec 30, 2014 New York
    Premium Trader

not hazy enough

Invinciblejets likes this.
  29. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (439) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina
    Trader

I’ll drink it. I drinking sparkling water or regular water if I’m not drinking beer. Hopfully it makes it to SC

RobNewton likes this.
  30. darklord2011

darklord2011 Initiate (142) Nov 18, 2011 Indiana

I think this is brilliant. Definitely interested in trying this. I drink a lot of water so I’d try this by itself or mixed for a cocktail.

31. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (268) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Honestly the only part that's weird about this is that there aren't more products flavored and/or scented with hops. People like hops! Including people who don't like beer or alcohol.

FarmerTed likes this.
  32. BayAreaJoe

Trader

So do I, but at what price point? There is already non-alcoholic sparkling hop water available in the marketplace made by H2ops, but it's $8 for a 12oz.4-pack - about 6x higher than normal sparkling water. We'll see how Lagunitas prices this, but I'm guessing it's going to be out of the everyday purchase range and more of a novelty buy.

33. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (439) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina
    Trader

Yeah I have a feeling it will be more of a novelty than a daily drink for sure. Which is unfortunate.

34. ESB

ESB Initiate (39) Jun 17, 2017 California

Finally had a chance to try this. My wife likes hops but barely drinks these days so I’ve been looking out for something like this. It’s far, far, better than H2ops. There’s a hint of sweetness (stevia, but not offensively so) and then a hit of hop aromas that actually remind you of a good IPA. No body, and low bitterness since there isn’t malt or sweetness to balance it out. It’s the best “sparkling water for when you want a beer but no alcohol” I’ve tried by far.

It was $10 a 4-pack where I bought it, but other stores in the area are apparently only asking $6. At that price I’ll keep it around for sure. I hope they start pushing this to bars and restaurants too as it sure beats any NA beer I’ve tried.

FarmerTed likes this.