Lagunitas Super Cluster: Appearance?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by beardown2489, Jul 10, 2018.

1. beardown2489

beardown2489 Disciple (323) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

Is yours crystal clear, or filled with floaties?

Follow up question, where do you live and do you know which facility your Lagunitas beer comes from?

Did some quick research on untappd and noticed all west coast checkins appear to be crystal clear. Midwest checkins look pretty dirty, reminiscent of certain batches of Todd the Axeman. My bottles are filled with floaties but taste pretty good.

2. GGBS

GGBS Initiate (34) Jul 5, 2018 California
    Trader

Had it on tap in Petaluma, totally clear. Haven't tried it from bottles yet. Tasted pretty good, definitely in the style of a big west coast IPAs.

3. Frostedmug

Frostedmug Initiate (27) Jun 24, 2016 Wisconsin

Picked some up in Cedarburg,WI today and it’s filled with floaties

GreenBayBA likes this.
  4. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (774) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

I just want it to be available in 6-packs or Bombers and not 12-pack only. Frustrating.

MonkeyBread and GreenBayBA like this.
  5. SkeletonBitch

SkeletonBitch Initiate (141) Jul 21, 2016 New York

I found my lone bottle of Lagunitas at Wegmans in Amherst, NY.
    No floaties, tasted great.. They have a surprise usually every venture down the craft isle-- Always worth the effort.

Lahey likes this.
  6. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (430) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

Beer store guy recommended this one. Perfectly clear and delicious. Thanks for the suggestion. Purchased in Michigan and bottle designates 2 for Chicago brewed. Glad to have tried.

4.25/5

7. ChrisMon02

ChrisMon02 Crusader (771) May 2, 2010 Ohio

LOTS of floaties in mine (East Coast). Interesting that there is such a geo difference. Now I am wondering about a side by side tasting. Beer can be frustrating sometimes...

8. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Disciple (308) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

Yeah .Screw value buys. Make me pay more for less.

9. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (774) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

I have to pay $20 to try the beer, instead of $5 (bomber), $10-12 six pack.

Not all beer purchases are solely based around how much I can get on the dollar. But nice try.

10. Sweatshirt

Trader

It would be a 12 dollar Bomber, 13 dollar 6 pack and 19-20 dollar 12 here. No brainer.

You don't have to pay $20 to try anything. It's not frustrating. Don't buy it. Beer martyrs.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  11. MonkeyBread

MonkeyBread Zealot (586) Apr 26, 2014 Nevada

It’s idiotic. I would’ve bought this as a bomber, a four pack, probably even a 6 pack. A 12 pack no Fing way. No idea if I’ll like it enough to invest in 12 beers and given it’s an ipa I know I have to consume this fast to avoid the freshness issues so at 12 bottles would have to dedicate almost my entire consumption to this.

Completely illogical to put an imperial ipa that’s new in a 12 pack format. Price matters but so does smart sizing.

12. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,075) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

To be completely honest if you don't buy 12 packs of their beer you are meaningless to them. You have no impact on their sales at all. I have no problem buying a 12 pack my biggest issue would be the date on the box.

bstyle likes this.
  13. Patches826

Patches826 Crusader (725) Aug 28, 2013 Massachusetts

Uhh, he never said it shouldn't be in 12pks. He'd just like to see it available in other formats as well. You're seriously going to argue against the consumer having options? And why is it whenever you have a criticism it's legitimate but when anyone else does they're entitled whiners?

14. Patches826

So by that logic, how/why does the One Hitter series even exist? Are they banking on people trying a Waldo's once, then turning around and buying 12pks of IPA on the reg? Cause I can tell you right now, that ain't happening.

15. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,075) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

Honestly I don't know. I buy 12 packs/cases of one hitter but have not found any core Lagunitas offerings within my freshness protocol. They really should put a bottled on date on their products but from what I have deciphered from their 1234 born on dates Distributors can't or won't deliver very fresh product.

16. Sweatshirt

Trader

Uhh, my opinions are good for the consumer. Forgot the fiscally moronic majority who buy craft beer can't do math. $20/12 is outrageous. $15/4 is a good deal. The 16oz can is the fiscal beer goggles of the idiots and trubby chasers.

Take what you get or don't buy it. You don't have to try every beer no matter what your alcoholic inner voice tells you. Whining about being frustrated that you deserve other formats is...well...for entitled whiners.

Damn, I am right again? How do I do it?

#16 Sweatshirt, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  17. Sweatshirt

Trader

It is happening. I know a bunch of people who's bud light is lagunitas. Cookouts, everyday beer, beach, whatever. You cream over your local guys knowing business so well. Now you know better than people with more successful bussiness than them?

Sit back, hunker down, get your head on straight, and come back later with a reasonable argument.

meanmutt likes this.
  18. Patches826

So let's break this down...

You totally ignored what I said/asked in the post you quoted, just to double down and repeat yourself. You then reference a format no one else in this thread has mentioned in an attempt to bash others who don't have the same purchasing habits as you. You then imply anyone who is the "ticker" type is an alcoholic. And lastly, you bash the very idea of consumer feedback on a website designed to give customers an outlet to voice their opinions with one another and people in the industry.

Dude, I knew you were an A-hole, but now I'm starting to wonder how you're still on this site and not in a padded room somewhere.

DJturnstile, TonyLema1 and NYR-Zuuuuc like this.
  19. scream

scream Zealot (554) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

Most of what they put out is solid. Unless the description tells me I may not like it I will buy it -that's how good their record is - at least w me.

Mvsmvs92 and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  20. SugarbearYaz

SugarbearYaz Initiate (41) Jul 15, 2016 Michigan

Had a bottle of it last weekend and it was cloudy with sediment at the bottom. Poured it very slow, left about an inch in the bottom and gave it a swirl to ki da break it down and finished the pour with made it obviously intensely cloudy. Very tasty beverage though.

beardown2489 likes this.
  21. Patches826

Swing and a miss once again. I never said no one buys their IPA or their 12pks. I said, in regards to the purpose of the One Hitter series, that I doubted said series was bringing in new and loyal customers to their flagship beers. You took that way out of context in a desperate attempt to one up me.

22. Sweatshirt

Trader

It's super cute you think that's what you read .

You need an answer to your specific questions?

Yes. I am going to argue against the consumer having options when the options are the worst possible buys for the consumer.

As to why my complaints are more valid than others... They aren't. But I'm still going to give them. Welcome to BA, read the stickies.

23. Sweatshirt

Trader

You are wrong because I know people like this and also extra money is extra money. Lagunitas IPA outsells your favorite locals anyhow. Why does founders do the special bombers when all day sells more that Maine makes craft as a whole? Are you really this daft?

24. Patches826

So vague anecdotal evidence and you continuing to fight a straw man. Cool.

Anyway, what's your point about Founders? Are you saying the main reason Founders puts out KBS, for example, is cause they think it'll get more people to buy All Day on a regular basis? Brand recognition is a thing, but I think that's pushing it...

25. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (596) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

If I like a beer I’m buying a 12-pack if it’s available. What can’t you understand about that? <as I gazed today about the selection of 12 & “GASP!” 15-packs available at my local store>

26. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Aspirant (256) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Have to agree with @Patches826 here. You will never see me buy an IPA in any format bigger than a 6 pack - I drink like 6 beers a week (besides vacation) and prefer variety.

When Waldos came out, I grabbed a sixer ($12/6er) of it because of the format. When BAY ($27/12er) came out, I grabbed a few singles as part of a mixed 6 pack because of its format.

27. beardown2489

beardown2489 Disciple (323) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

What’s the big scare? It’s an 8% ipa from Lagunitas exclusively using Citra hops. What could go wrong... well other than not filtering it enough

I bought a 12pk for 17.99. Deal of the century despite the floaties on the bottom of the bottles.

meanmutt, Mvsmvs92 and SunDevilBeer like this.
  28. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,205) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

Money martyrs smfh

GuyFawkes likes this.
  29. BWichmann74

BWichmann74 Initiate (66) Sep 27, 2014 Michigan

Back to the original question of this thread. I am in SE Michigan and my 12 pack from Chicago is loaded with floaties - more than I’ve seen in a beer in awhile.

Personally I’m fine with it so no worries here.......

GuyFawkes likes this.
  30. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (596) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Congrats. Many beer drinkers actually find a beer they like & want to drink more than one. Ya know - maybe to repeat a pleasant experience?

6 beers a week? How can you possibly keep up your ticking cred with that volume?

31. Patches826

Did you mean to say "If I like a brewery"? Because you won't know if you like a particular beer until after you've tried it; and in the case of this beer, you have to buy 12 of them to get there.

Gotta love how rustled the old timers get about the times a changin'. I mean, look dude, there are plenty of modern trends I roll my eyes at too, but this passive aggressive "ticker" stuff from you guys is just sad and lazy. Here, let me attempt a fitting retort.... ahem... Congrats on buying the same pilsner by the case for the 37th time. Your palate must be so refined by now and you're such a smart consumer. See? Kinda makes ya cringe, doesn't it?

Oh and ONCE AGAIN, the argument being made in this thread was about breweries giving the consumer options and offering more than JUST 12pks. No one is threatening your way of life and saying 12pks shouldn't exist.

32. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (641) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Good Fucking god.

This site can get so off a post its stupid already.

Please delete all the BS and get us back to the OP.

Not seen or heard of this beer. I have not had many , if any Lagunitas beers that are bad so Im in. Will report back on the haze or not.

Enjoy

33. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,554) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Premium Trader

Wasn't on my radar until I saw this thread, granted the bitching kept it up on the front page :slight_smile: so I am fine with that. And floaties and 12 pack be damned it if lands in Houston I will try and get my hands on it. I am pretty much a sucker for anything from Lagunitas and Sierra Nevada.

34. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Aspirant (256) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Thanks. There are 6 beers in a 6 pack, not one. So I get to repeat a pleasant experience 6 times, if applicable. A couple months ago, I was drinking double sometimes triple what I am now. I would rather drink less and learn by reading the forums than indulge and have health issues. Good attempt at a joke though.

35. 98green

98green Savant (928) Jun 13, 2014 Michigan

SE Michigan here too. Didn't notice any in my first one out of the 12-pack (but wasn't really paying attention at the time), but all of them since have had tons of floaties.

Didn't affect the excellent taste, so no complaints on my end, just adding to the reasearch

36. bret717

bret717 Savant (911) Dec 8, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

I had 2 bottles and they were both filled with floaties. They were purchased here in PA and bottled in Chicago. Here’s what it looked like this in the glass-

[​IMG]

The particles were all resting at the bottom of the bottle, so I probably could’ve had a clear beer had I poured it more carefully.

37. BSiegs

BSiegs Zealot (575) Apr 17, 2015 Illinois

Bought in Chicago, bottled in Chicago and loaded with floaties. I was slightly put off at first - but the aroma and taste eased that. Great brew.

38. scream

scream Zealot (554) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

No floaties in mine - not sure where it was bottled

Mvsmvs92 likes this.
  39. Jsimansk

Jsimansk Initiate (116) Jul 10, 2012 Illinois

Typical clear Lagunitas appearance for me - brewed and purchased in Chicago.

40. Gran

Gran Initiate (26) Nov 16, 2014 California

my first 12er no, but this current 12er yes. Im located in Santa Rosa, about 15-20 miles away from the brewery in Petaluma. Theres no way to check the bottles either until after purchase. Still tastes delicious.

beardown2489 likes this.