Lagunitas to start brewing Newcastle Brown Ale, according to a newly approved label

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,608) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

2. elohim

elohim Initiate (183) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

Interesting, I wonder if this will result in an increase of sales. Personally it wouldn't make me any more likely to buy it but I doubt I am the target market for this.

3. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (506) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island

If in addition to the label change, this ale is no longer packaged in those god-awful clear bottles I'll definitely revisit a bottle to sample. Would try a fresh version not subject to light exposure on the shelf.

4. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (131) Feb 13, 2018 New York

This is not a good beer by any stretch of the imagination. I wonder if they'll be importing English ingredients to make it in the US.

5. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,001) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Premium Trader

I never knew this was packaged in clear bottles until I bought one and poured it into a glass. (Yes, I am really "on the ball." :rolling_eyes:) If Lagunitas goes with a brown bottle, I may revisit it; otherwise, hard pass as usual.

6. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,344) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

Heineken had previously been brewing Newcastle Brown Ale for export to the US at its Amsterdam brewery and, before that, the US draught NBA was brewed in the UK (at the John Smith brewery in Tadcaster), shipped in bult and then kegged in Holland (as noted below, upper left).
    [​IMG]

7. Vason

Vason Initiate (117) Feb 19, 2008 Ohio

Intriguing. Newcastle was one of my gateway beers back in the day, but it's been awhile since I'd had it anywhere but on draft. I'll put another vote in on the side of 'If they finally brown bottle it, I'll give it another shot.' Sad that they have taken the old trivia bits off the back of the bottle, though.

8. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (249) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

Isn't the appeal that inherently we believe the ingredients, the air, even the cargo shipping time make imports what they really are? A Euro product brewed here is now just an American brown ale.

It's why so many were upset when they find out Kona Hawaiian ales are brewed state side.

New Castle is already really cheap around here. I wonder what angle they are planning here.

Although I wouldn't say no if pilsner urquell or weihenstephaner wanted to brew beer in the US for US consumers. I do know Guinness is NOT doing that with their flagship stout in MD.

thesherrybomber likes this.
  9. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (428) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

(obligatory) Newcastle Brown... SHUGGA!

gopens44 and Steve_Studnuts like this.
  10. Foyle

Foyle Champion (809) Sep 29, 2007 North Carolina

Have not had Newkie Brown in a while now. I will give it a try once this domestic version hits the stores.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  11. jesskidden

But they have brewed Guinness Extra Stout under license in Canada (from Labatt and Moosehead) for the US market at times - dating back to the era when GES was the predominant Guinness stout sold in the US (before Guinness Draught existed as a bottled/canned product --- I don't know, I still have a hard time considering Guinness Draught their "flagship", I guess).

Bitterbill, LuskusDelph and FBarber like this.
  12. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (5,306) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

It was also one of my gateway better beers - back when a good beer bar would have beers like Guinness, Bass, Harp, Newcastle, etc on tap.

13. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (551) Dec 12, 2014 California

I guess Lagunitas has some excess capacity

Lahey, raynmoon and LuskusDelph like this.
  14. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (70) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

If this results in fresher, non-lightstruck beer getting to store shelves I might be willing to give it another shot.

15. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (764) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

I'll be avoiding this like the plague. Sam Smith's Nut Brown is thousands of times better.

thesherrybomber and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  16. Crusader

Crusader Aspirant (242) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

I thought they already tried that.

:stuck_out_tongue:

17. Vason

Vason Initiate (117) Feb 19, 2008 Ohio

Sure, but also often twice as expensive. It's currently at $6.99 per 6pack at my store, blowing away every other beer in its price category.

18. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Crusader (735) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

That beer is a sweet, skunky mess. I'm sure the clear bottles don't help its case.

thesherrybomber likes this.
  19. THANAT0PSIS

Trader

I think Newcastle is a pretty terrible example of the style, so I'll pay a few dollars more for a much, much better beer. Also, in my area, it's $9/six-pack for Newcastle. Way, way too high for such a bad beer.

20. DISKORD

DISKORD Aspirant (212) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

No thanks! I don't care who brews it. Skunky lager with caramel color added, doesn't make it a Brown Ale.

Hoppsbabo, seth27 and SFACRKnight like this.
  21. rgordon

rgordon Champion (859) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

When I was in England first in 1971, the locals often mentioned Newcastle Strong Brown Ale. Was there such an animal? Anyway, all of the local really smooth ales were better than any beer that I had ever had before then. These beers changed my perspective of beer in general.

22. MikeP64

MikeP64 Initiate (155) Jan 24, 2015 South Carolina

"Newcastle Brown....it'll surely knock you down" Humble Pie-'Thirty days in a hole'
    Big beer=heartless layoffs Why would the owners [Heineken] ever care about good workers losing their jobs thousands of miles away? Big corporate beer sucks.

premierpro and Redrover like this.
  23. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (5,306) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

Isn't that lyric was actually a reference to heroin, since the line is actually "can sure smack you down", and considering the rest of the song?

SFACRKnight and MikeP64 like this.
  24. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (78) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

Couldn't agree more.

rgordon likes this.
  25. MikeP64

MikeP64 Initiate (155) Jan 24, 2015 South Carolina

WOW>>>never thought of that. I'll stick with beer.

26. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,452) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

have you gotten the cans yet?

THANAT0PSIS likes this.
  27. THANAT0PSIS

Trader

No sir. Somehow I missed this, but it is welcome news.

FBarber likes this.
  28. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,203) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

I drink it quite infrequently but only on draught. No cans or bottles for me.

29. idiotwind

idiotwind Initiate (37) Feb 14, 2014 California
    Trader

I've always been a fan of Newcastle. I will buy and I will drink. Not every beer needs to be ZOMG super hype dope limited. Heck, I even enjoy Sierra Nevada every now and again... especially their Fall Pack and Oktoberfest.

30. MoreBeer4me

MoreBeer4me Aspirant (271) Aug 25, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

Maybe it'll improve as it certainly does suck now.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  31. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (70) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

"Even enjoy Sierra Nevada"???

Wtf?

Gajo74, Bitterbill, meefmoff and 3 others like this.
  32. DISKORD

DISKORD Aspirant (212) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

Exactly! Some people, clearly don't know schlitz about what good beer is.

#32 DISKORD, Oct 6, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    Gajo74, Bitterbill and LuskusDelph like this.
  33. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,243) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

It almost ruined me from craft. That shit was foul.

Bitterbill and DISKORD like this.
  34. WhiteHart

WhiteHart Initiate (35) Apr 16, 2018 North Carolina

Hope this is meant to be tongue in cheek, but if not...you're absolutely wrong. Incredibly narrow-minded and sickly hubristic comment.
    Yea 'Merica!

35. pjeagles

pjeagles Initiate (138) May 29, 2005 New Mexico
    Trader

No. He qualified it with what he said before that statement. Kind of like Guinness being brewed somewhere else loses its magic. While him saying Newcastle being brewed here makes it an American Brown Ale may have been inaccurate, your interpretation of what he said as something nationalistic was what was actually incredibly narrow-minded.

36. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,203) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

Right?

37. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (249) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

Yes. My post was more Tongue in cheek than the second part you stated lol.
    If for 20 plus years, they were selling us this imported brown ale for relatively cheap, whats their spin on it when it's now brewed in America.? I get that we can have american made ESBs and other styles. Unless this makes the beer even cheaper for the consumer, selling this as a positive is really just spinning lies.

Same sort of thing Saporro was dealing with a few years ago when people got upset their Japanese beer was brewed in Wisconsin.

LuskusDelph and FBarber like this.
  38. jesskidden

Yeah, not like Sapporo Beer had previously been - imported from Canada (at Sapporo-owned Sleeman) or Vietnam!

[​IMG]

Back on topic, tho' - I can't help but wonder if this Lagunitas-brewed Newcastle isn't just a temporary thing or some sort of one-time test market deal. The oval Newcastle Brown Ale label on the clear bottle is so iconic, I can't believe Heineken would go with that label pictured in the OP.

I can only imagine EVERY loyal NBA drinker responding "What-the-!@#$-is-this!" when handed a (brown?) bottle with that label.

Not to mention that one of the first things Heineken did when they bought Red Stripe from Diageo was to go back to importing it to the US from Jamaica rather than the contract-brewed version from Moosehead or City/Latrobe.

(Granted, OTOH, they did switch the Newcastle exported to the US from the UK to Holland... maybe hoping that a lot of US drinkers weren't too hip to the geography and don't know where "Newcastle" is? After all, a whole lot of people seem to think it's two words - "New Castle"...)

#38 jesskidden, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    Bitterbill likes this.
  39. Ostpies

Ostpies Initiate (81) Nov 3, 2015 New Zealand (Aotearoa)

Heineken pulling the strings; over-expansion, cutting costs by way of cutting staff, now being made to brew other brands of beer.

I like Lagunitas beer and the people at Petaluma, shame about all of this.

40. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,608) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Premium Trader

Probably will never buy it, only have had it on tap at a place that uses the beer in their batter for their fish and chips, was a good pairing. Wasn't bad on tap, but brown ales aren't my thing.