Lagunitas Waldos' Special

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Bisco42, Mar 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IRS4MEPLEASE

IRS4MEPLEASE (0) Jul 20, 2008 California

Grabbed a sixer a week ago at a local liquor store. Very good beer. Hope they put it on tap in Azusa so I can enjoy some there too!

2. Bitterbill

Bitterbill (0) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

My beer guy in Casper is trying to get it but seriously, I don't reckon that I'd mind if he didn't.

3. PineappleBoss

PineappleBoss (0) Oct 17, 2017 California

can these be aged ?

4. Bunuelian

Bunuelian (0) Mar 22, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

Everything can be aged - the more important question is 'should' these be aged. My opinion? I wouldn't age them more than a month, tops. This year's version is really great but since it's more in the Triple IPA vein, I fear any aging will turn it into a malty mess, sadly. Out of the gate, though, this one has been a great balance of dank hop punch and sweet malty booziness. As the hops fall off, I could see this being more of an American-style barleywine but who knows. Stick one aside, do an experiment and get back with your results.

BayAreaJoe likes this.
  5. waltari

waltari (0) Jan 28, 2016 Georgia

Believe it or not. I still have a few from the 2017 and they still drink pretty good. I usually do not age any of their other high ABV offerings (Undercover/Brown Shugga/..) because they tend to turn to barley wine territory. Which is not a bad thing for me.

6. Lahey

Lahey (0) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I had some 1 year old brown shugga that was pretty damn good before. And it was liquor store aged

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  7. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 (0) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

It all comes down to your tastes. I would not age them just because they are intended to be drank as fresh as possible but if you want to age one and see how it changes go for it, nothing lost and fun to see how things change.
    Cheers

8. msscott1973

msscott1973 (0) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

Got a six pack a couple of weeks ago and chewing on the fifth right now. This ain’t a beer I can put away quickly.

9. bound4er

bound4er (325) Jul 4, 2007 Wisconsin

One per session is all I can tolerate though it is damn enjoyable. "Frankenbeer" if you will.

ESHBG and Lahey like this.
  10. Lahey

Lahey (0) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I drank two last weekend and haven't been thirsty for a third yet. Almost too big of a beer for me to buy a sixer. It's a beer you need a glass of water with, like you're eating a meal.

ESHBG and bound4er like this.
  11. TongoRad

TongoRad (785) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Drinking some tonight, and it's closer to my ideal 'double digit hop monster' than anything I've had in a while. Just a touch too hot, but maybe my beer fridge could be colder for this particular beer. It's coming across to me as a 'drink it at its freshest' kind of thing, too- mostly because the malt profile seems pretty generic. On the plus side, it's pretty sharp and light on its feet, all things considered.

It also reminded me of how I kinda wish DFH would take a lesson from this one and drop the AbV on 120 down a few points already- 11% is really borderline when you consider how fusels and high bitterness don't mix all too well.

DonicBoom likes this.
  12. bbtkd

bbtkd (1,215) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I picked up a single to review. Though I'm not an IPA fan, I make it a point to review cult and highly touted IPAs. I found it bitter but not as much as I expected, owing to being offset by the honey sweetness. I couldn't taste the alcohol much so it could really sneak up on you if you had a few.

Lahey likes this.
  13. Marklaker

Marklaker (0) Jun 5, 2014 Florida

This is among my favorites. Drinks best when freshest, stellar up to a month, then drops off precipitously. YMMV, but I wouldn't age this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.