Lagunitas Willettized 2022

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by JBogan, Jan 13, 2022.

1. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa (964) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I had to do a web search to learn what a Boston round bottle was.

On a somewhat related note I was in a co-workers office one time and he opened his briefcase and in it was a small liquor bottle (gin I think) and at the moment I thought this was weird and made some comment. He replied that he kept it there for airplane flights (we traveled a lot) and he would just order a soft drink/mixer in flight and make his own cocktail (without paying the airline's high price). I thought this was clever. This was before all of the restrictions on what you are are allowed to bring onboard. I suppose now you would have to put these mini-bottles in your plastic bag with your toiletries.

Cheers!

ChicagoJ likes this.
  2. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus (680) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

So, actually you CAN bring these onboard as long as it is less than a certain volume, BUUUUT, they may ask you about it if you don’t make your own labels (I do), but more importantly, you aren’t allowed to open them.

I think, anyway. I last looked into this before a trip in 2017.

ilikebeer03 and ChicagoJ like this.
  3. JBogan

JBogan (765) Jul 15, 2007 California
    Trader

I don't understand the point of smuggling the whiskey in a bottle of Lectric shave. Either they're not going to find the bottle on you which makes using a different bottle a moot point, or they are going to find the bottle on you at which time I would think smuggling in a bottle of Lectric shave to a sporting event would raise suspicions.

Resistance88 and Beer_Economicus like this.
  4. JackHorzempa

Society

You got me here. I am just relating the story.

People do all kinds of 'different' stuff. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cheers!

Resistance88 likes this.
  5. Resistance88

Resistance88 (739) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Ya boys happy

[​IMG]

Rug, QuakeAttack, sulldaddy and 13 others like this.
  6. pinballplayer

pinballplayer (566) Jul 2, 2014 California
    Trader

Finally made it LA huh? Still waiting down here in Orange County!

Resistance88 likes this.
  7. Resistance88

Trader

i got these in San Diego!

pinballplayer likes this.
  8. JackHorzempa

Society

From the code on the case box (076 2 2 5234 1612) it appears that these beers were packaged on March 17, 2022. Any idea why these beers are only becoming available now?

Cheers!

gatornation, ChicagoJ and o29 like this.
  9. Resistance88

Trader

Lagunitas blamed covid.

BigIronH, Rug, o29 and 1 other person like this.
  10. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson (1,068) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I'm all for leaning on the covid excuse, but this has to be the lamest use of it ever. How many cases of beer left the same lagunitas facility these beers were sitting in between March and now? I'm sure we'll never know what sort of fuckery caused all the delays with this beer getting to shelves but blaming covid is downright hilarious.

BigIronH, Rug, Ricelikesbeer and 8 others like this.
  11. BMBCLT

BMBCLT (1,061) May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Society

The latest excuse nowadays is "Supply Chain Issues".

12. JackHorzempa

Society

Or maybe they could recycle the old adage:

[​IMG]

BigIronH, Rug and Resistance88 like this.
  13. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Whadya know, found this on the shelves of one of my regular grocery stores all of a sudden. Got 2 4 packs. Will tuck into one tonight for sure

dbl_delta, BigIronH, JBogan and 5 others like this.
  14. augustgarage

augustgarage (970) May 20, 2007 California
    Society Trader

Per their beerfinder - seems to have skipped right over LA County...

15. Resistance88

Trader

Theres a few places that show up now.

16. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Loving the coffee rye combo in the stuff fresh(er). The first sip was a punch in the face, but I've settled into it nicely and am enjoying it more and more on a cold night in the dungeon

17. Resistance88

Trader

Figured I'd join ya
    [​IMG]

Redrover, Rug, ChicagoJ and 6 others like this.
  18. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Cheers to that, you're set up looks a lot cozier. I'm running the seed cleaner and it's cold and dusty.
    [​IMG]
    This place has no ambience, too loud, but the beer is dank!

19. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ (1,211) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Lagunitas still hasn't reopened their cool taproom here "due to COVID", despite stating they announced earlier this year they were planning on reopening in 2022. I do recommend visiting if they ever reopen. It's likely Guinness opens their taproom here on Saint Patrick's Day 2023 before Lagunitas reopens!

Speaking of Saint Patrick's Day, what I find more curious is the fact this was brewed and bottled in Chicago on that day.

076 = March 17; 2 = 2022; 2 = Chicago (a 1 would mean Petaluma), both on my bottle and @Resistance88 's box.

Despite this fact, we are paying $13.99 (Binny's - The Big Box Store here (Total Wine Equivalent)) - $15.99 (smaller independent stores) here, whereas these are being trucked to California (and Vegas per my brother's confirmation) and people in both of these locations are paying $10.99 for bottles brewed and bottled in Chicago and trucked 1,800 - 2,200 miles. Our Lagunitas distributor is owned by Reyes, so perhaps that plays a role, but if anything, the pricing here should be cheaper or the same in light of the fact this was brewed and bottled here.

Back to the beer, I performed a side by side review vs. Goose Island Coffee (linked here). I don't get any coffee from the Lagunitas, but do enjoy the Rye Barrels. My experience was the same as my OG review in 2019, so at least for me it's not merely the fact the coffee faded after 8 months of sitting in Lagunitas and/or Reyes' warehouse.

Next week, I will perform a second side-by-side, this time Willittized vs. the 2022 Single Barrel Willett Goose Island Base Stout. I believe this is a fair comparison, and I'm eliminating any coffee discussion since it's not there (for me, at least).

#219 ChicagoJ, Dec 7, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
  20. Fordcoyote15

Fordcoyote15 (862) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Thats it? Genuinely expected 20 cases.
    What is that?

ChicagoJ likes this.
  21. Beer_Economicus

Trader

If we can think about this from a well-rounded approach and not just one dimensional, let's think about what a 17 March packaging would mean. Realistically, that means it is hitting stores (mostly) in the 1 - 20 April timeframe. That's not ideal for a BA stout. That's late, and beyond when most people have already started to really edge away from BA stouts. With limited releases like this, you want everyone on the same page. That means you want it gone ASAP. That's probably not going to happen in early - mid April.

Now, let's take into account that earlier this year COVID was a real fucking problem, and there really were tons of issues. So, perhaps that timeframe is 2 weeks delayed and closer to 1 May.

While I can appreciate that everyone wanted it, and everyone wants this super fresh, I think realistically from a business standpoint it makes a lot of sense for them to have waited.

22. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

It's a vacuum powered seed cleaner. Seed and chaff goes in the funnel and clean seed comes out the bottom

23. Resistance88

Trader

That was all they had
    :rolling_eyes:

ChicagoJ likes this.
  24. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Is your suggestion that covid issues caused the bottling to be delayed last winter and then they made the business decision to hold off on releasing a ba stout late spring?

ChicagoJ and Resistance88 like this.
  25. Fordcoyote15

Trader

Seed?

ChicagoJ likes this.
  26. BMBCLT

BMBCLT (1,061) May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Society

Chaff?

ChicagoJ likes this.
  27. Beer_Economicus

Trader

*Shrug* I can't speak to exactly what happened last year. If they normally release it this time of year, that means that their COVID issues in terms of getting it bottled were *first* associated with Sep - Nov 2021. Perhaps that is the case, and they just kept trying to get it bottled/packaged, but by the time that happened it was too late for the release (previous post). -Since, recall that Nov - March were horrific times for COVID. The largest since that first year, as I recall)

28. Fordcoyote15

Trader

I dont know this means. Thanks for the help, bro.

29. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Plant germplasm. Chaff is the dry plant matter that encased the seed while it was growing and needs to be removed for storage. That thing does that separation.

30. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer (702) Nov 29, 2006 Colorado
    Trader

That's what I tell my wife too when I didn't do something she asked around the house :stuck_out_tongue:

31. Fordcoyote15

Trader

We must be talking about pot since everybody is giving me a hard time instead of just helping answer a simple question about what the device in the picture is specifically for.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  32. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

It's literally for cleaning plant seeds. I'm not sure how to be more clear. It's a seed cleaner.

33. Beer_Economicus

Trader

I think he is asking: WTF are plant seeds. What exactly are you cleaning. Why would you have this (which is answered by what you are using it for)? Is this a hobby item, or what?

o29, Resistance88 and Fordcoyote15 like this.
  34. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Is this a real question that adults of drinking age have? You plant seeds in dirt, and then they grow plants. Some of those plants make beer, some of them we eat, some are just pretty, they all start as a seed.

35. Fordcoyote15

Trader

Yeah pretty much.

36. Fordcoyote15

Trader

This is new to me. If its pot related it all makes sense why I'm a little lost. As an adult of drinking age I can't think of any other reason to hook a shop vac to a box to "clean seeds" AND be avoidant on just saying what specifically you're doing when inquired about.

Topease likes this.
  37. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

I'm still so confused at the idea that people don't know what seeds are. This old lady will explain this device to you, she gets into the details around 1 minute and the demonstration starts aroun 1.5 minutes. I work at a weed nursery and we make and keep our own seeds. This device can be used for weed or just about any other plant someone would want to grow in their garden. If anyone has any more questions about these topics please try searching for terms like "seed cleaner", "winnowing", or "seed saving".

Sorry for derailing this thread. I just meant to cheers back to Tomas after I noted the difference in vibe between his cozy pick and my sterile surroundings.

Willetized is a fine beverage to enjoy in either extreme, and likely most settings in between. Unlike @ChicagoJ I get a nice bit of coffee on this, but it's not a robust dark roast type flavor, it's more of a lighter African roast that coffee people often call out for "citrussy" or "floral" flavors, but they're all coffee to me. I would have loved to try this thing fresh to see how the coffee expression has changed but I'm also expecting that this thing will improve with age and might be in a bit of an awkward stage of it's ultimate evolution. I might go grab another 4 pack to sock away, depends how much damage I do to my stock this week

38. Fordcoyote15

Trader

Thank you for answering. My curiosity is finally quelled. I also apologize to other for the derailment I just wanted to know what the thingy-muh-jug was for.

39. Resistance88

Trader

but what IS it?

No matter what surroundings, Willetized is a damned great stout. At 10.99 too ... im gonna grab 2 more cases and call it . I get an espresso /lightly filtered coffee flavor, but i have parosmia so all coffee tastes the same to me.

I just took one out the fridge to enjoy after my gym session i'm heading to . Can't wait to have one walking home from DTLA

40. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

But really, what the fuck is this?!

And also, this is the issue with saying something "tastes like coffee". Coffee has a pretty wide variety of flavors. It's kind of like saying something "tastes like red wine".

Also, what is a "gym"? Is that like a British spelling of a Jim?