Lake Superior Traveling and potential trading

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Philly82785, Sep 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Philly82785

Philly82785 Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2008 Minnesota

I am heading up around Lake Superior at the end of the month. We will be staying in Thunder Bay, Marathon, & Sault Ste Marie. Is there any bottle shops, breweries, or restaurants with great beer selections I should try? I will probably bring a few bottles of Surly Darkness 2016 with me for trading if anyone is interested.

hoptemologist likes this.
  2. unibroue4ever

unibroue4ever Initiate (110) Oct 20, 2010 Canada (QC)

3. andrenaline

andrenaline Poo-Bah (2,367) Nov 14, 2009 Canada (ON)
    Society

I can direct you on options in Thunder Bay. Sleeping Giant Brewing Company is a must stop and they just opened their tap room so if you're spending some time in town it'll be good for a visit. Red Lion Smokehouse has the best bottle/can selection and Sovereign Room has a solid selection as well (including some Bellwoods - albeit a tad pricey). The Foundry has a decent tap selection as well. Food wise for the aforementioned Sovereign > Red Lion > Foundry. The other brewery in town is Dawson Trail which also has a tap room. I havent tried any of their most recent releases but they're finally venturing into different styles (altbier, rye PA).
    As for stores, Onterrible liquor distribution is run by the government LCBO. The best selections are available at Arthur Street (newest flagship store), Dawson Road, Cumberland Road and Thunder Centre (ranking based on best to worst). Check LCBO.com for store locations/directions and you can check inventory but it can be rather painful sometimes. Product differs slightly at each location. Some grocery stores have beer as well but generally the best beers are available at the LCBO.
    I'm interested in a trade for Darkness. Let me check my cellar and I'll fire you a DM with some options that might pique your interest. Depending on timing we could meet up for a trade and a pint!

Philly82785 likes this.
  4. yasky

yasky Disciple (386) Dec 21, 2008 Canada (ON)

What Adrenaline said. Haven't been to the Soo in a bit but one brewery there seems to be getting some buzz. Sleeping Giant is gonna be your best bet in Thunder Bay. I'd grab some beer in Grand Marais before you cross into Ontario.

Soo Michigan should have a healthy supply of M-43 at the Meijer. The little party store downtown has the odd gem as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.