Lakefront Brewery final 25th anniversary beer

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by BrownAleMale, Nov 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrownAleMale

BrownAleMale Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2011 Wisconsin

Well, I had been hoping that it would be BA Holiday Spice. I stopped at Woodmans and what do I see but Holiday Spice in the 25th anniversary four packs! Sweet they must have BA'd it! Wait, nope! Now I generally like Lakefront and think their prices are fair, but I need to flame them here. You release a beer that has been released for many years in 6 packs that cost $7/6 pack and now release it ad your "25th anniversary" special release at $10/4pack. That is pretty messed up!

2. Hendrick24

Hendrick24 Defender (649) Sep 6, 2013 Wisconsin

That's strange, I've seen 6 packs of Holiday Spice in many shops recently, I think about $8 but not sure on that.

3. Drew26

Drew26 Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2012 Wisconsin

While it would've been great if it would've continued to be sold in 6 packs, I still don't think that's too bad of a price for a good, strong holiday beer. Plus, it seems they're moving their IBA from bombers to 6 packs, so that evens things out somewhat in my opinion. Maybe it was becoming more costly to produce and they didn't want to jack up the price of the sixer? Just a guess, idk. All that said, I too was hoping for a BA version...

BeerFMAndy likes this.
  4. BrownAleMale

Hmmm. My 2 places in Kenosha were selling the 4 packs only. Wonder if something is up.

5. SipIt

SipIt Initiate (183) Jul 18, 2013 Minnesota

If I'm reading the website correctly it shows that it's sold in both 4 and 6 packs?

http://www.lakefrontbrewery.com/beer/seasonals/holiday-spice

Pretty awesome if that's true, and you can pay extra for less beer, but have the anny label on there?

I grew up in Milwaukee, so have been a long time supporter of Lakefront, but completely agree with the OP on this one...

6. BrownAleMale

Seems to be the case. Selling the same beer in 4 packs for more then 6 packs doesn't make sense unless it is BA and just not indicated on the label.

7. BeerFMAndy

BeerFMAndy Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2009 Wisconsin

Simmah down nah. Here's the deal:

Lakefront is rolling out a new series of beers. Bigger and bolder; higher ABV. Holiday Spice happens to be one of these beers which are all being released in 12oz bottle 4-packs. The next ones will be Beerline Barleywine, a bigger version of the Cherry Lager and an Imperial Pumpkin to name a few. This line of 4-packs is at the same price point as the Anniversary series and uses the same UPC code to make it easy for stores to integrate into their systems, therefor you might even see these beers (Holiday Spice for now) ring up as a 25th Anniversary.

Holiday Spice is NOT the last 25th Anniversary beer. Unfortunately, due to the government shutdown there is no fourth 25th Anniversary beer.

If you're seeing Holiday Spice in 6-packs, it's because the distributor is liquidating whatever was left from last year. Fret not, this beer is fantastic with age! I have some going back 5+ years, so get it while you can.

Cheers,

BottleCaps80, Bay01, Westuh and 4 others like this.
  8. BeerFMAndy

It's a lot more costly to produce, especially with the amount of honey that goes into it. $10 a 4-pack is still a great price and if it makes everyone feel any better, just think of the deal you've been getting thus far!

Drew26 and beerwolf77 like this.
  9. BrownAleMale

I don't know it is in the 25th anniversary 4 pack boxes and the caps a 25th anniversary. That sounds like 25th Anniversary to me, no?

10. BrownAleMale

I agree that it is definitely worth $10 a 4 pack. it was awesomely priced Before! I'm just let down because I won't buy the case or 2 I had planned with the price increase.

11. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2012 Illinois

Weird, we have four pack holidays spice, but in regular packaging. They were going to do a special gluten free beer but it sucked and they scrapped it

12. BeerFMAndy

It was supposed to be a Gluten-free Dubbel but they have too many new brands coming out and with the TTB shut down, it ended up being pushed aside.

13. BeerFMAndy

The 4/6/12 oz bottles is a designation that there are 6 4-packs.

14. BeerFMAndy

Simply put; no.
    • The last edition of the 25th Anniversary series was supposed to be Gluten-free Dubbel which didn't happen due to the TTB shutdown.
    • They've been using the 25th Anniversary caps on every beer they bottle from Klisch to Fuel Cafe this year.
    • There were no re-designed 4-pack carriers for the Holiday Spice labeling it as a "25th Anniversary" beer. It's the first release in the new series of beers coming out (the other one I missed mentioning in my previous post is a Barrel-aged version of Rendezvous) that will all be released in 4-packs.

As a Lakefront lover I'd have loved to try it but unfortunately there's just no 4th edition of the 25th series.

Look for the Beer Line Barleywine to hit shelves at the beginning of 2014. This one is the next release in 4-packs followed by the bigger version of Cherry Lager.

Brewzma and beerwolf77 like this.
  15. antzman

antzman Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2005 Indiana

We received the Holiday Spice 2 weeks ago in Indiana in 4 packs. I did not see anything about the 25th anniversary on the packaging at all. It did share the same barcode as the 25th Anniversary Imperial Pumpkin which was frustrating due to the significant price difference between the two. We actually took Holiday Spice off the shelves until we ran through the Imperial Pumpkin so that we did not ring anything up incorrectly. Pretty much everything we've gotten from them this year has had the 25th Anniversary caps on them.

Maybe you ran into some that simply got put in the wrong carrier at the brewery, or they ran out of Holiday Spice carriers and used the 25th since it had the same bar code?

16. Brewzma

Brewzma Aspirant (290) Jun 2, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

These are two great points that I'd like to echo. All the beers I've seen from them have the 25th Anniversary logo bottlecap. The regular pumpkin and imperial pumpkin had the same caps, but regular came in a 6 pack with the pumpkin logo and imperial came in a 4-pack with the 25th anniversary box (I know a different one, but this is the 25th anniversary style box).
    [​IMG]
    And the packages of the Holiday Spice I've seen, while they are in 4-packs, aren't the 25th Anniversary boxes. They're the normal Holiday Spice box as a 4-pack that says "Seasonal Release" on it.

BeerFMAndy likes this.
  17. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2012 Illinois

Ah, the rep at my local grocer said it didn't turn out so well so it got scrapped.

18. WRBeerFan

WRBeerFan Initiate (0) May 28, 2012 Wisconsin

If I recall correctly, they have a lot of their beers with the 25th anniversary cap, its the label you need to look at.

BeerFMAndy and OnWisconsin like this.
  19. BrownAleMale

Yep was incorrect about the carrier and wasn't aware that the caps all had the 25th logo as ive only bought the 25th pumpkin and had the IPA on tap this year.

I still stand by my point that the raising the price and cutting the quantity was wrong. One or the other would have been fine but the double whammy is kinda crazy.

SipIt likes this.
  20. grynder33

grynder33 Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2003 Wisconsin

And the caps were all color-coded by what quarter of the year they were bottled,Jan-Mar-a black 25 on cap; Apr-Jun,a green 25,July Sept-blue 25,so you make sure your purchasing fresher product. Holiday Spice has been a warming classic for years,I'm not sure the Roundy's food store chain knows how really big this beer is. They seem to avoid higher strength brews

BeerFMAndy likes this.
  21. BeerFMAndy

I hear ya. No one wants a price increase but when they decided to begin doing 4-pack releases of the Anniversary series they also decided to release the "big beers" in the same packaging, a) giving them an opportunity to turn a profit on beers that are more costly to make (they ARE a business, after all) and b) keeping the amount of UPCs on the shelves down.

As a consumer, a lot of people don't look at the 3-tier system and realize it's a pain in the ass for a brewery to release new packaging because it means the retailer and distributor both have to add that UPC to their database, inventory it, and the retailer needs to find shelf space for it.

What Lakefront did was roll the 25th series and "big beers" into the same UPC so they ring up at the same price point no matter what beer it is, Holiday Spice, Imperial Pumpkin, etc. $2 more for two less beers? Not ideal, but $10 for a 4-pack is still a good price point for the product you're getting.

BottleCaps80 likes this.
  22. BottleCrowns

BottleCrowns Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2008 New York

e

Exactly (I think the 2014 (Sept-Dec) winter brews are red) . I believe Lakefront has this color coding for their beer seasonal beer styles for their non-Anniversary caps as well. As a cap collector we love this stuff. as a beer drinker it gives you a guide to the brew date of any given product. This being an Anniversary year, these are good caps to hold... you only have one 25th anniversary and if you issue four different caps during that 25th year in the mix... caps will be rare in 3-5 years. contact me for all bottle cap related wants, trades and discussion.

BeerFMAndy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.