Lambic in New England (MA, NY, CT, VT esp.)

Discussion in 'New England' started by NEIPA, May 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NEIPA

NEIPA Initiate (91) Jul 11, 2017 Massachusetts

Just got back from a long stay in Europe and fell in love with Belgian lambic-style beers—Drei Fonteinen, Cantillon, Hanssons, Tilquin, Girardin, Lindemanns, etc. Wondering about any good bottle shops in New England that regularly carry these styles. Based in Western Mass. Thanks!!

2. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (263) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont

Craft Beer Cellar in VT occasionally has small quantities of all but first two, and are discreet about it to support local sales. As for first two, they are distributed in VT by Grassroots (aka Hill Farmstead), and they rarely distro it off-site.

NEIPA likes this.
  3. Kozaka

Kozaka Defender (624) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

4. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (435) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

Julios.(Westboro) Yankee Spirits (Sturbridge) I'm sure there's others, but these pop straight to mind.

NEIPA and YS1977 like this.
  5. abagofit

abagofit Initiate (177) Oct 31, 2014 Massachusetts

This is both way easier and way cheaper than trying to find it stateside (for cantillon/drie at least). Boon's Mariage Parfait is pretty easy to find on shelves and is probably my favorite easy to find lambic. Tilquin is harder to find, but not impossible.

NEIPA likes this.
  6. NEIPA

Yeah. The 80 euros for shipping is tough though.

7. NEIPA

Mariage parfait is great I’m glad that’s easy(ish)ly findable. I’m basically a 3 fonteinen fan boy, Armand and Gaston might be my favorite Gueuze.

8. Kozaka

Kozaka Defender (624) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

When the Drie volume is in stock, less than $20 per 750 bottle. Just have to outlay about $350...

Few years ago, was only about $14 per 750:angry:

9. followerofmen

followerofmen Initiate (103) Sep 9, 2012 Massachusetts

This conversation starts and ends with Provisions in Northampton. Talk to those guys, there's a bunch of shit on the shelves that you are probably looking for, and they can direct you to anything else you would need.

Aaron58 likes this.
  10. hobbitz

hobbitz Initiate (127) Jun 17, 2010 Rhode Island

Julio's in providence has Tilquin, and hannsons. They always have some lambic.

11. Onemoresolo

Onemoresolo Aspirant (282) Jul 21, 2014 Connecticut

There are a lot of amazing gueuzes/lambics that people overlook because they aren't 3F/Loon.

The Haansens Oude Gueze and their fruited lambics are excellent, and especially acidic as heck. The Lambicx 2yr De Troch-sourced Lambic is a musty, lemony, blue cheese-funky delight, and one of the few still lambics you'll find on the shelves around here. Oud Beersel is another winner.

Tiquin is amazing, yes. If you see the 375mLs of Quetsche, scoop 'em up; the 750mLs use a different plum cultivar and isn't quite as juicy as the half bottle edition. Mure is tasty too! Be warned, the latest 375mLs are practically still: bottle conditioning didn't quite go as expected.

If you're into sour/funky stuff, definitely keep an eye out for Italian wild ales. Breweries like Ducato, Black Barrel, and Montegioco are making liquid just as interesting as the Belgian heavyweights. They're expensive, but they absolutely compete with their Belgian counterparts.

Examples:
    I could easily keep going. Italian wild ales are my weakness, haha! Also, being in Connecticut, I have full accessibility to B. United's import portfolio, which is where most of these Italian beers are coming from.

12. GonzoHomebrewer

GonzoHomebrewer Devotee (483) Sep 15, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

The Quetsche differences is not based on bottle size, one is Oude Quetsche avec Prunes de Namur, made specifically with plums from Namur. Other is simply just Oude Quetsche, both use the same volume of fruit, just different plums.

Onemoresolo and bla211 like this.
  13. Onemoresolo

Onemoresolo Aspirant (282) Jul 21, 2014 Connecticut

Apologies. We received several cases of Quetsche 375mLs and a case of Quetsche 750mLs and found that the 750mLs had the cultivar sticker while the 375mLs did not. The difference is not subtle. I assumed that there was a special run of 750mLs with Prunes de Namur.

GonzoHomebrewer likes this.
  14. GonzoHomebrewer

GonzoHomebrewer Devotee (483) Sep 15, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

no apologies man, i just read lambic.info like i read Bill James baseball abstracts as a kid :smile: In fact they dont even do 375s and 750s for every batch of each variation, which doesn't make it any easier.

I also have yet to have a prunes Namur side by side with reg Quetsche, but its on the lambic must-do list

15. DarthCerevisiae

DarthCerevisiae Initiate (48) Jan 13, 2016 Massachusetts

No one has said Cuvee Rene yet. I am disappoint.

ArrogantB likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.