Landing @MSP and heading North.

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by Tolann, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tolann

Tolann Devotee (433) Jul 9, 2007 Colorado

I'm trying to figure out logistics for 2 quick stop next week; food somewhere with a nice taplist followed by a liquor store stop with good selection of what i can't get in Denver. preferably both stops not far off route going north on 35W. 694/494 may be ok too. i don't want to go into Mpls/StP. I was looking at Princton Liquors just off 494, but i haven't found where I'd want to meet a friend for eats. suggestions? After some food and beer shopping I have a few hours to drive north so I'm hoping to make quick and convenient stops. I've shopped before often @Dennis Bros, but they're in the wrong direction this trip. Next time!

There are a few obvious beers i want to pick up (Surly, Bells, Founders ) anything out right now you'd highly recommend?

2. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2010 Minnesota

you should bring me some cans of Aspen Brewing

3. Tolann

That would be amusing, but I don't think I've seen their distribution reach Denver metro area

4. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2010 Minnesota

that is too bad, I was quite impressed with what I had from them last spring, but none of my friends whom go to CO get out far enough to get me more.

I would suggest stopping in at Town Hall and then hitting Republic, a block off of 35W. Also pretty close to their is Zipp's which has LOTS of great bottles/cans to purchase.

5. Chaz

Chaz Poo-Bah (1,582) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

A) HauteDish and Zipp's
    B) 3Squares and Princeton's

Over in the 651:

C) Happy Gnome and First Grand
    D) Ward 6 and Heritage

*Plenty* of options and potential combos at any rate! :)

Tolann likes this.
  6. Tolann

That might be closer to downtown than I care to deal with. Would that be easy to get in and get out of in the afternoon? I want to avoid tangling with rush hour as little as possible. My flight lands around 2ish on Friday, and diving into downtown at that time I think would put me in the thick of it by the time I start the real driving.

7. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (2,826) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota

If you are going to Princeton's, Three Squares gets a lot of mention on these forums. Never been there myself.

Pick up some Indeed. Midnight Ryder is an awesome beer (Day Tripper is good as well).

8. Tolann

3Squares/Princeton is what I was maybe thinking, but I'm up for suggestions! I'm pretty sure I've been to 3Squares before and drank Fulton's on tap.

Any abrasive still around, or is it long gone? Enjoyed my last can last night. now I'm sad I have no more!

9. herman77

herman77 Meyvn (1,055) Jan 24, 2010 Minnesota
    Subscriber

Yep. It's still around. Should be here till March or hopefully thru March. They can it once a week or once every other week.

Tolann likes this.
  10. morimech

Further south there is the Golden Nugget in Glen Lake (Minnetonka). Hard to beat their tap list and food on the west side of 494. About 5-10 minutes from 494. Pairings is also an interesting eatery. Only a couple of drafts but you can go into the liquor store part of the facility and purchase anything you want and bring into the restraurant to consume. They have a decent to average selection but a little $$$.

11. theHoff77

theHoff77 Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2012 Minnesota

Maple Grove is about 20 minutes from 35W North just to throw it out there. As a resident of Maple Grove though, I can say 3 Squares has the best tap list and best happy hour in the area that I know of. Princeton's also has Steel Toe and are the only place West of St. Louis Park that I know of to carry it. Other beer stores to consider in Maple Grove are MGM and Premier Liquor. MGM has the overall largest and most unique selection but is pricier, and Premier has the best prices with a selection comparable to Princeton's that tends to not sell out as fast, but they do not do mixed sixers like Princetons. You could probably hit both Princetons and MGM at they are both right off 494/94 and less than 5 minutes apart.

12. caskstrength

caskstrength Disciple (354) Nov 26, 2008 Minnesota

if you're travelling on thurs/fri/sat, just after driving through the city on 35W, you can stop at indeed and dangerous man (open at 3 and 4 respectively). Nearby off 35 is Stinson Liquors, a good store.

Only problem is food, but a food truck might be at Indeed when you're there.

This is what I'd do. Could stop by Town Hall as well.

13. Mista

Mista Aspirant (201) Nov 10, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I would recommend South Lyndale for a liquor store. It's close enough to the airport where you can get in and get out pretty fast mid afternoon.

14. Tolann

I'm really tempted to search out Town Hall Tap. Would that be not so far from Lyndale? How is getting out of town from there on a Friday afternoon?

15. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 Devotee (480) May 6, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

it is actually not as bad as you would think. You will be going in to town, instead of out of. You will hit traffic, but not horrible traffic. I used to work down town and would have to be there at 6 (coming from Burnsville) and I would leave my house at 5:15 and get there a little before. So you shouldn't have much of an issue at all.

16. Tolann

Well, going into town then getting waaaaayyy out. It's getting out I'm more worried about. At least it won't be summer bumper to bumper traffic all the way to North Branch.

17. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Poo-Bah (2,889) Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Town Hall Tap is only about a quick mile east of South Lyndale Liquor so you're good to go in that respect. Also, they are both about as far south in Minneapolis as you can get so driving there from the airport will be easy during the mid-afternoon. Traffic on 35W North usually doesn't start getting bad at that time until a couple miles north of the exit you'll take to get to South Lyndale.

18. djschnabel

djschnabel Initiate (115) Jan 30, 2010 Minnesota

I'd suggest Grumpy's in Roseville. There is a liquor store next to it which has a big variety of goods, Cellars maybe? Just east of 35W on Snelling, pretty good beers, pretty good burgers.

xBeer likes this.
  19. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (3,198) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Lyndale Liquors would be a nice stop for you a mile or so off of 35 north nice selection and prices, pick up some Indeed brews and Steel toe brews (not available @ Lyndale) while here on visit

20. Tolann

What specifically from Indeed should i look for? and isn't it coffee beer season? i read something recommending a BIPA and of course now i can't find the post. any specific recommendations?

21. morimech

Tolann likes this.
  22. Tolann

Big Wood Brewery available at Lyndale? looks like they have my 2 favorie styles in cans. Their Morning Wood should be out the day I get in town.

23. morimech

I don't think Big Wood cans are availble yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.