Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Late Night Spot in Portland?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by rrobins, Apr 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rrobins

rrobins May 1, 2012 New York

Hi All,
    I will be arriving in Portland very late on a Saturday night (midnight) and am certain I will be thirsty. Is there anyplace open on the later side. Will be staying in the Irvington neighborhood and should have a car.
    Thanks

2. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Aug 17, 2005 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Apex and the Horse Brass are both open until 2:30.

3. honkduh

honkduh Jun 2, 2011 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Roscoes 2:30

digita7693 likes this.
  4. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Mar 27, 2009 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I prefer the above mentioned places, but Concordia Ale House is open until 230 as well.

5. guajolote

guajolote Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

EastBurn is another option, though I agree that APEX, Horse Brass or Roscoe's are better options.

6. John_M

John_M Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Beer Trader

+1 to this. Plus, as of this afternoon, the Horse Brass had pliny (elder) and Molten Lava on tap. Mmmm....

7. rikatine

rikatine Apr 13, 2010 New York
    Subscriber

Thanks for all the suggestions. Looking forward to all the best Portland has to offer. Any suggestions on the latest and best local IPA's?

8. flexabull

flexabull Mar 9, 2006 California
    Beer Trader

RPM and Hop Venom from Boneyard. (not local per se, but from Oregon)

msubulldog25 likes this.
  9. msubulldog25

msubulldog25 Aug 3, 2005 Oregon

Love those Boneyards that flexabull suggested. For locals, look for Laurelwood Workhorse, Alameda Yellow Wolf or El Torero (neither get great BA reviews but I really like both) and, if you find it, Breakside Barberhop Quartet (not yet listed on BA).

flexabull likes this.
  10. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Mar 27, 2009 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Also from Bend, I was pretty much blown away by the Imperial Mosaic from Crux. Last I checked, it's still on at Saraveza and Apex.

11. rikatine

Subscriber

Local enough for me (and OP). Our trip is in a few weeks (June 1) and it really helps to know what to look for. When looking at tap lists we will have an advantage.

Thank you all!

12. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Aug 17, 2005 Oregon
    Beer Trader

BeerMongers has it on tap (at least they did yesterday) too.

13. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Jun 3, 2005 Oregon

Speaking of mosaic, Beermongers had pFriem Mosaic APA on tonight and that's a damned good one too.

14. goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio Jul 13, 2004 Oregon

We replaced the Crux Mosaic with the pFriem Mosaic, which will still be pouring at opening tomorrow.. but I don't expect it to last the night (~5 growlers + many pints already). After that probably Barley Browns WFO IPA.

15. Chou

Chou Apr 17, 2012 Oregon

I like the Shocks of Sheba IPA that they brew/serve at the Fire on the Mountain local mini chain (buffalo wings place). They're open until midnight in 2 of the 3 locations...

16. rikatine

Subscriber

Will look for that too. Drinking a Heady Topper right now. Can't wait to try all the latest in Portland

17. joehill

joehill Apr 11, 2008 New York
    Beer Trader

getting in to my hotel in downtown portland around 10pm tomorrow? anything with a good tap list open late within walking distance in downtown?

18. ramnuts

ramnuts Feb 16, 2009 Oregon

what hotel? where, exactly?

19. joehill

Beer Trader

hotel monaco at washington and sw 5th ave.

i don't mind walking or taking the light rail but so far looks like all the suggestions (apex, horse brass) are about 30-40 mins walk away.

20. honkduh

honkduh Jun 2, 2011 Oregon
    Beer Trader

joehill likes this.
  21. msubulldog25

msubulldog25 Aug 3, 2005 Oregon

Yep, Bailey's Taproom is your best bet for beer bar (but they don't serve food - go across the street for grub at Santeria; they'll deliver). As stated earlier, open til midnight and about 4 blocks from your hotel.

If you want to stay up even later, go across 5th from the Monaco and hit Kelly's Olympian - neon, motorcycles, live music, pretty dive-y... but equally awesome! Decent beer list of locals and some macros and open til 2am.

joehill likes this.
  22. joehill

Beer Trader

thanks for the advice! got in and was starving, so having santeria deliver from across the street was great, and Baliey's was a great bar. In Brooklyn a place that good would be mobbed wall to wall and it'd probably be about $8 for a 12oz of the 20oz pours that Bailey's had for $4.50. super in love wiith Portland already!

NWer, RedMedicine and msubulldog25 like this.
  23. joehill

Beer Trader

Also this is for late night spots but when you wake up on east coast time, there's no line at Voodoo at 6:45am

24. kscaldef

kscaldef Jun 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Bailey's is actually uncomfortably mobbed most of the time, but at nearly midnight in downtown on a Monday, most people have gone home.

25. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Feb 21, 2012 Oregon
    Beer Trader

agreed, i avoid baileys like the plague for this reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe