1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Latest Drain Pour?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 1fJef, Jun 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1fJef

1fJef Initiate (0) May 4, 2013 Maryland

We have heard the successes -now the failures...
    Picked up a bottle of Torrent Pale Beet Bock recently
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/700/83742

saw it at a store on closeout for like $3.99/bomber
    that should have been a warning..
    i didnt listen
    I didnt realize it had Beets:slight_smile: in it-I need to read labels more closely
    Of all the things to add to Beer -beets are the last Id choose-i HATE them!

Reviews:

2. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Initiate (0) May 10, 2012 Illinois

Duck Duck Gooze... didnt wanna waste the caloriez.

3. neeko530

neeko530 Initiate (72) Oct 17, 2012 Indiana

new belgiums vrienden as well as flat 12's cucumber kolsch

spry and ParkerAE like this.
  4. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2013 Florida

My FIRST drain pour (swore I'd never do it) was a couple days ago. Friday evening, hot outside, was craving a good IPA and my b.i.l left a 61 minute in the fridge. Took one sip and just coulnd't get it down. If I wanted a 50/50 Merlot - Bud Light combo, I would have just mixed it myself. Jeebus, what a horrible beer. And I'm a huge DFH fan.

5. 1fJef

1fJef Initiate (0) May 4, 2013 Maryland

My first drain pour too!
    Hope you didnt waste too much $

6. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2013 Florida

Free. Left in the fridge before he bolted town. Now I know why.

7. Jacob007

Jacob007 Aspirant (243) Sep 18, 2012 New Hampshire
    Trader

White birch barrel aged elYsium. Smell like cat piss, tasted like champane mixed with cat piss.

Hendry and VictorWisc like this.
  8. Feel_the_Darkness

Feel_the_Darkness Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2012 Virginia

Had to pour some Legend Hefe the other day...not because I wanted to (I love that beer) but for some reason 4 of the 6 bottles I had were literally so over carbed it was undrinkable...maybe I should stop looking at the clearance racks for beer. I always get boned.

9. Mersh

Mersh Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2013 Connecticut

DFH Festina Peche. I love DFH too, but for some reason I just couldn't get it down. I love Peach too.

WCKDVBZ, robgage, xk6m6m5x and 2 others like this.
  10. darkandhoppy

darkandhoppy Aspirant (257) Dec 26, 2008 Connecticut

I got some Berliner Weiss that members here sad was representative. Something Brim 1809 or something. Did not like. Not a fan of funk, not a fan of tart, vinegary beverages.

11. CoolEthan

CoolEthan Disciple (387) Jan 9, 2013 California
    Trader

Iron Fist's Nelson the Impaler. Best way to describe it was hop water, no depth. It should be a criminal offense to waste Nelson hops like that.

12. Providence

Providence Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

That bites. I had a homebrewed Kolsch that I messed up and it became massively over-carbonated. Pop the top and out it gushes kind of over-carbonated. Nevertheless, it still tasted good. So what I would do is pour a 12 oz. bottle of it into much larger glass and then put the glass in the fridge for an hour. After an hour the carbonation had settled down.

Maybe that would work for your overcarbed Heff? I don't know....

Rhf9120 and tarawho like this.
  13. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (2,740) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

The only way I figure I'll have another drain pour is if a beer is infected. I have been much wiser at choosing beer since last year.

StraightNoChaser likes this.
  14. Feel_the_Darkness

Feel_the_Darkness Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2012 Virginia

I only paid 3 bucks for the sixer, so I wasn't overly concerned about pouring it out. Hopefully it was just one of those freak things that occasionally happens, because it's a damn good beer otherwise.

Providence likes this.
  15. Providence

Providence Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

Sounds like a tasty brew. Would love to try it someday.

Cheers!

16. RochefortChris

RochefortChris Meyvn (1,321) Oct 2, 2012 North Carolina
    Society Trader

A Weyerbacher Tiny. I love Belgian beers and stouts and have had Belgian stouts before but I'm not sure what it was, I just couldn't force myself to drink the whole bottle. And it's RARE I pour beer out, I almost always force myself to choke one down I don't like.

17. BeerGuyEsquire

BeerGuyEsquire Initiate (79) Dec 18, 2012 Minnesota

That's a shame, as the 1809 really is representative of the style. Of course, if you don't like sours . . .

urielxvi and GimmeGumballHead like this.
  18. blastoderm55

blastoderm55 Disciple (323) Jun 7, 2013 Texas
    Trader

Latest drain poor was Sam Adams Little White Rye. Nose was overpoweringly save. Like a bottle of sausage.

Jahsteve and Boitnott like this.
  19. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (1,767) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Trader

Peruvian Morning, duh!

PALMEJ1 and BlastBeats like this.
  20. Grfilwett

Grfilwett Aspirant (259) May 2, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I just opened one tonight thinking maybe it wasn't, and it was. down the drain after a sip. plus the other 3...

PALMEJ1 and RaulMondesi like this.
  21. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Crusader (787) Jan 31, 2012 Illinois

Stone Dayman IPA. This is a great beer if you've ever wondered what it would taste like if you dumped cold stale coffee into a citrusy American IPA. I seen some refer to this beer as "innovative." I could blend coffee into homemade chicken noodle soup and call it "innovative" as well since nobody else has done it. However, there is a good reason why nobody has done it; the coffee will clash with the taste of the soup, detract from the overall flavor, and it will generally taste like shit.

22. superspak

superspak Site Editor (28,503) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Society Trader

Flying Dog Collab Doppelbock. It was foolish of me to think the cork would hold up for 6 years. So pretty much my fault there. Most of my drainpours have been oxidized crap thanks to poor corks.

robgage likes this.
  23. Pando

Pando Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2011 Connecticut

Dry Dock Apricot Ale. I took one sip and couldn't stomach the rest.

24. RichK1

RichK1 Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2009 Maryland

25. RichK1

RichK1 Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2009 Maryland

Tried this yesterday at the DFH ale house. It was only a two ounce pour to try it, but after a half ounce, I left the rest....does that count as a drain pour?

kojevergas and VictorWisc like this.
  26. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,780) Mar 18, 2010 California
    Society

How about a recent expensive drain pour?

Fantome/Hill Farmstead 5 Sciences.

chippo33 and JMScowcroft like this.
  27. usofar

usofar Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2010 California

The solvent that I have to assume was mistakenly placed in my Buffalo Trace Big Black Voodoo Daddy bottle. That shit was rank!

28. GodlessWatermelon

GodlessWatermelon Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2012 Maryland

Bummer, that's one of, if not my favorite stout.

TongoRad likes this.
  29. GimmeGumballHead

GimmeGumballHead Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2010 Illinois

alamode and bryanole27 like this.
  30. lsummers

lsummers Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2010 California

Sam Adam's Porch Rocker was my latest pour. I'm never proud to waste but that one was just terrible for me. Good thing it was a random party beer.

Chrixsus likes this.
  31. beerindex

beerindex Initiate (132) Jun 18, 2007 Michigan
    Trader

Last night I drainpoured a can of Deviant Dale's. Definitely the worst OB beer I have had yet.

32. Satchboogie

Satchboogie Savant (942) Oct 16, 2010 New Hampshire
    Trader

A HFS drainpour? Unimaginable!!!

I dumped out half a bottle of '10 Dogfish Head Olde School. I'm getting sick of sweet boozy messes. Especially when you can taste the massive corn sugar additions...

kojevergas likes this.
  33. HumphreyLee

HumphreyLee Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2011 Pennsylvania

I dumped at least half a bottle of Orchard White last week. I just tasted way too much of the stuff I thought would be fun as a tertiary flavor, not as a primary. Just, bleh.

34. BeerBeast

BeerBeast Crusader (714) Oct 9, 2012 Florida

OK, I'm not going to pour it down the drain, but this Grand Canyon Black Iron IPA in my hand is giving me little reason to keep drinking it. It did come from the warm aisle at Total Wine (blech), and I am drinking it AFTER a bottle of Hop Stoopid (stupid of me), but jeez, this stuff is really lacking -- character, flavor, aroma, head, everything! Makes me laugh when a beer is so boastful on the packaging ("a high-hopped, fragrant ale that is as deep and as wide as the Grand Canyon" -- yeah, right!) and then utterly fails to live up to its own hype. Side note: this is the first IPA I've had that does NOT list its ABV (7.2%) on the package -- 'sup with that?

35. ParkerAE

ParkerAE Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2013 California

Flat 12 Cucumber Kolsch. Absolutely horrid. Glad I only bought one bottle. I usually try to choke it down even if I don't like it but this was just too much.

36. cyrushire

cyrushire Defender (670) May 25, 2012 Florida

I have 2 sixers of 2010 Lefthand Milk Stout that I had forgotten about until recently. Age has not been kind. I've opened two and drain poured both. Now I'm stuck with 10 more potentially horrible beers that I'm having trouble tossing. I hate wasting beer.

alex_hart likes this.
  37. BeerBeast

BeerBeast Crusader (714) Oct 9, 2012 Florida

Give them to someone you don't like.

mythaeus and alex_hart like this.
  38. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2009 Washington

There is an odd bitterness in that beer. I think its actually from the malt. I wouldn't call it a drain pour, but I definitely want to try some other Berliner Weiss style beers!

Mersh likes this.
  39. williamjbauer

williamjbauer Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2012 Colorado

40. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2009 Missouri

As well you should.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.