Latest Drain Pour?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 1fJef, Jun 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rawfish

rawfish Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2010 California

Crystal springs drum and laughing dog's alpha dog both infected. Bad luck with mountain time zone beers of late.

2. HevvyMetalHippie

HevvyMetalHippie Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2010 Massachusetts

Mango Magnifico
    Cave Creek Chili Beer
    uhh..

Other terrible chili beers...

3. kudos

kudos Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2013 Florida

Southern Tier Warlock - tasted like medicinal cough syrup. I thought it was supposed to taste like pumpkin pie?

It makes me really question if when I open Pumking this weekend if it's going in the sink also.

MickJ0nes and HawkIPA like this.
  4. Dools9

Dools9 Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2011 Massachusetts

Victory Golden Monkey, just couldn't get into it, couple sips then down the ole' drain.

5. elchicodelgado

elchicodelgado Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2008 Texas

I haaaaaaaated Warlock and I love pumpkin beers. He'll , I've got half a closet full of them waiting for fall (it may be a while in Dallas). I thought Pumking was ok. Really similar very fake taste but it worked better. I drain poured Warlock but got through Pumpking. Warlock was the biggest disappointment of the year.

6. kjlcm

kjlcm Aspirant (205) Jul 16, 2013 New Hampshire

New Planet Gluten Free Pale Ale. My wife is trying a gluten free elimination type diet so we tried this and it was honestly the worst beer ever. We tried a few other gluten free offerings that were not so bad (not good either) but this one was god-awful.

7. Broanoke

Broanoke Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2013 Virginia

This thread sucks and is depressing.

EMLsd, RayOhioFelton, mcrago and 8 others like this.
  8. CatfishClark

CatfishClark Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2008 Texas

Pretty sure this Rhinelander Thumper IPA is heading for the drain. Should've known that $3.99 for a bomber was too good to be true...

9. hellhammermario

hellhammermario Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2012 North Carolina

Still haven't done a drain pour, but I couldn't finish The Bruery's Autumn Maple. Bartender was nice enough to take it off my tab, though!

10. Hendry

Hendry Champion (842) Mar 8, 2013 Vermont

Like motor oil with carbonation!

11. semibaked

semibaked Zealot (585) Mar 27, 2007 Illinois

Stillwater Artisanal Ales Stateside Saison, pretty much liquid flowers

12. Mongrel

Mongrel Crusader (761) Feb 14, 2013 Maryland

Gonna have to kindly but strongly disagree with you here. I was drinking Sofie on draft this summer like it was my sole purpose in life. Just a fantastic, delicate beer crafted for utter refreshment.

rodlavers and MHowdy like this.
  13. PumaSaysRawrr

PumaSaysRawrr Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2013 Pennsylvania

They all are terrible! Dogfish Tweasonal is an abomination!

I dumped a draft of White Oak...It tasted like 2 buck chuck!

14. hellhammermario

hellhammermario Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2012 North Carolina

If saisons are a bitchy style, I'm a damn bitch.

15. DropDead

DropDead Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013 Illinois

Sofie was meh, not a drain pour but would not spend money on it again :/

16. BreakMyPickle

BreakMyPickle Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2013 Indiana

Fantastic Voyage from Perennial. Was really excited to try a coconut milk stout, but it was infected.

17. Averwo

Averwo Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2013 Iowa

Any pumpkin beer really. And I LOVE Pumpkin in anything else. Yes the almighty Pumpking was barely tolerable.

zestd and mcrago like this.
  18. sbxx

sbxx Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2011 Illinois

I had a bottle of this. After 1 sip, I knew the purchase was a mistake. I didn't dump it, but will never buy it again.

19. Brokejaw

Brokejaw Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2013 Iowa

New Belgium's Pumpkick Ale. Awful, awful stuff.

switzer likes this.
  20. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I drain poured a pinkus ur pils. I think it was very old. Flat. Really flat.

21. LeperJim

LeperJim Meyvn (1,058) Feb 10, 2008 Ohio
    Society

Love that ale. Makes me feel pretty. : )

semibaked likes this.
  22. BeerAssassin

BeerAssassin Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2012 Antarctica

Is it sour or what don't you like about it? Does anyone know if Jolly Pumpkin makes anything that's not sour?

23. kodt

kodt Defender (631) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

It is a sour, and I enjoy sours, but this one just isn't that good. The first taste is nice and tart but then it quickly fades into a sort of gross funk that just isn't pleasant.

24. JoeBloe

JoeBloe Zealot (597) Nov 16, 2007 New York

the 2 wrap beers they brought in at work the other night were Shipyard's Pumpkin Ale and that saison from Magic Hat - tried them both and drain-poured them both about halfway through - then I had to drive home with the awful lingering taste of that crappy 'saison' in my mouth -

VABA likes this.
  25. pitweasel

pitweasel Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2007 New York

I bought a mysterious beer while traveling, based on an adventurous whim. Some homebrew contest winner.

Infection City, USA. Got about four sips down before I couldn't take it anymore.

26. 071184

071184 Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2013 Texas

That was a tough one to put down- attempted to share a bottle with a buddy- he backed out after a few sips. Appreciate its uniqueness for sure, but to drink an entire bottle...not so much.

27. Ross79

Ross79 Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2013 Indiana

Ommegang, Game of Thrones.....blah

chippo33 likes this.
  28. tmm313

tmm313 Initiate (0) Nov 6, 2011 Georgia

Fascist Pig Ale and Son of a Peach.

29. Brandywine

Brandywine Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2012 Washington

Avery's The beast. Cellared it for a year. Tasted like boozy cherry cough syrup.

30. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,327) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

My son was having a special game night with his friends the other day. Being the good dad that I am I offered to test taste any beer I had not tried before. Among the many special bottles he brought home was Relic Whiting American Lager. We were pretty excited about this, being a new, fairly local brewery, and the single experience we had with them at a festival was good.
    I tasted first and had all I could do to hold a straight face and not influence other's opinions (as well as not spit the beer all over the kitchen). After two others tried it and one said basically "no one intended this beer to taste like this".
    This was a bomber with no dating. DATE YOUR DAMN BEERS BREWERS. Obviously was infected or something. First drain pour in quite a long time.

JohnnyJam, threephase and TastyIsBeer like this.
  31. kylelenk

kylelenk Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2012 Michigan

Uber-Oktoberfest...

32. ChrisChagnon

ChrisChagnon Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2013 Connecticut
    Deactivated

No.

33. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,327) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

I did not drain pour my Green Bullet, but I think it was 80% of the beer I expected from a brewery I have grown to like.

34. ChrisChagnon

ChrisChagnon Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2013 Connecticut
    Deactivated

I guess im just guilty of being a huge fan of New Zealand hops

35. doowhat

doowhat Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2009 Arkansas

The only beer I've ever poured out was Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat...I drank about 1/3 of it and could not get past the overwhelming robetussin cough syrup flavor. The remaining 5 beers sat in my fridge for months as I tried to con my friends into drinking it by questioning their manhood and using other underhanded tactics. They eventually got drank because there are no beer sales on Sundays here....but not by me.

36. thewrongtone

thewrongtone Initiate (117) Oct 15, 2006 Arkansas

Any chance of renaming this thread "Who Can Claim to Have Drain Poured the Highest Rated Beer?"

We get it. Just because a beer scores 90+, doesn't mean it is worthy of your next level palate. I understand taste is subjective, and we don't all like the same stuff, but drain pours should be limited to infected bottles and the most extreme atrocities of the beer world.

"I drained a Heady the other day, the hops get really confused after a week or so, and the malt was pretty grumpy. Luckily, I had a fresh PBR chaser." We all understand you're above the hype, and you piss irony.

37. StraightNoChaser

StraightNoChaser Poo-Bah (2,313) Oct 21, 2007 Georgia
    Society Trader

This! (and sincere contributions related to infections or confessions of a newbie excused). These threads are like a virus. Seems there's always a "drain pour" or "over-hyped" or "most disappointing" thread. I get that tastes differ. And there's different levels of experience. Because you didn't dig it doesn't mean the beer sucks. I was so hoping someone would "drainpour" one of those $2,000 bottles of HOD Dave. At least it would show commitment (plus the $ went to charity). A theme of the site for God's sake is "Respect Beer".

38. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Zealot (557) Jul 10, 2009 California
    Trader

I had Pipeworks End of Days maybe a month ago which was truly awful. It not only had the effervescence of a can of Coke, it also had a strong cola-like taste to it. I took about 3 sips and couldn't consume more than that. A friend, who I shared the bottle with, felt the same way. I'm sure it was an off batch or bottle but it was one of the most awful beers I ever had.

39. BeerAssassin

BeerAssassin Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2012 Antarctica

I'll admit I've poured sours before, not that it was their fault. I learned I just don't like sours, or at least not any I've tried. People keep telling me they grow on you, all I can say is we'll see.

40. kodt

kodt Defender (631) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah taht doesn't sound right. I remember it being sweet and chocolatey.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.