Latest Drain Pour?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 1fJef, Jun 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djl9701

djl9701 Initiate (141) Mar 8, 2008 Illinois

yep....fantome hiver was the same....plastic bandaids.

2. markgugs

markgugs Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2006 New Jersey

I noticed (understatement alert). I also knew about those 2 beers (and a couple other Bruery ones) and forgot to point out the VERY rare legit examples.

But it certainly seems to be "eh, this isn't jiving with my taste buds, it's definitely infected!"

HRamz3 likes this.
  3. elchicodelgado

elchicodelgado Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2008 Texas

Extremely rare and I knew you weren't claiming no beer was ever infected. I actually traded for WC knowing the risk because I figured I'd get a good beer or at the very least I'd get to see what an infection tastes like.

4. Johnny_Muir

Johnny_Muir Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2014 New Jersey

Neshaminy Creek, County Line IPA. Might be old, cant find a date, but just nasty. Super malty. If I liked that, Id like this, but its not like any IPA ive ever had so Im questioning freshness.

5. TonyJ815

TonyJ815 Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2013 Florida

Sadly I had my 2nd Drain Pour of my life last night...

Cigar City Brewing - Humidor Series IPA.

It tasted like salty wood... with some smokiness somewhere in it... I didn't taste anything IPA about it due to the overwhelming nose. I hated pouring it, but man, I just couldn't do this beer. It was terrible.

6. precariouslydaniel

precariouslydaniel Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2013 Virginia

The Blue Point Sour Cherry Stout went down the drain last night. It was one of the most disappointing beers I've had in recent memory and I want my ten bucks back plus interest.

7. HRamz3

HRamz3 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2010 Pitcairn
    Deactivated

Likewise, I have nooo idea how many craft beers I've had since 1987, but I do not recall ever getting an infected bottle.

markdrinksbeer and TonyJ815 like this.
  8. TonyJ815

TonyJ815 Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2013 Florida

Same here man... I guess people see a good rating, taste the beer and assume it's going to be incredible, then they hate it and write it off as "oh, this just must be infected..."

markdrinksbeer likes this.
  9. SomethingClever

SomethingClever Poo-Bah (3,427) Feb 22, 2013 Ohio
    Society

The only beer I ever thought there was something wrong with was a Kopi Loewak Stout by De Molen from Shelton Brother's distrib and it was just dead flat so I didn't think it was infected I just thought it lost its seal. I chalked it up to oh well. Still poured it out though :wink:

TonyJ815 likes this.
  10. bcp5296d

bcp5296d Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2012 North Carolina

Bruery Five Golden Rings. Just horrible. They need to produce BT and CR in more quantity and stick with what they are good at. They are quickly becoming the DFH of sours.

11. end_27

end_27 Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2012 Illinois

Last drain pour I think I shared with my buddies was the "10K" from Cigar City Brewing...definitely not a good beer by any means. Bad batch or just a bad beer, would be very hesitate to try it again.

12. Mineo

Mineo Disciple (363) Jul 7, 2010 New York

Lagunitas Sucks batch 353 is just vile. I've had my share of 2 month old IPAs before. But this is just awful -- tastes like dead grass.

I had a 3 month old Founders Centennial recently out of a friends fridge and it was 20x better.

13. bball208

bball208 Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2013 New Jersey

I poured Nightshift stout, new holland blueberry cream stout, shipyard mint chocolate stout, and laughing dog rocket IPA down the drain. I really hate to pour beers, but at the same time, love myself for it because I just deserve better damn it!

14. bball208

bball208 Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2013 New Jersey

yikes,
    what was the issue with that one? i just paid $16 for ONE bottle...

15. Mineo

Mineo Disciple (363) Jul 7, 2010 New York

I remember a few years back, when one store accidentally charged me only $10 for one 4-pack of 120 Minute. I think they charged me the price of Tweason'Ale or something by accident.

Cheers to not very beer-savvy cashiers :slight_smile:

16. jstilwell

jstilwell Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2008 Massachusetts

drain poured an old curmudgeon that was several years old. It had soured and not in a good way. Not sure what happened but typically a tasty beer with age on it

17. Ilovelampandbeer

Ilovelampandbeer Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2013 New York

boss beer from poland...came as part of "beer of the month club"(xmas gift)...holy god it was like an even worse heineken

18. jeastman

jeastman Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2013 New Hampshire

My friend brought over some Hill Farmstead Port Daemon last night... dumped it was terrible. Some other stuff called KBS and KBBS? and I think the other one was cantaloupe or cantillon... all total crap couldn't drank more than a sip of each one... bah just kidding latest drain pour was actually Jack's Evil Brew (Collab with Evil Twin and Jacks Abbey). Love the rest of their beers though!

19. Possumjenkins99

Possumjenkins99 Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2013 Ohio

20. Westuh

Westuh Initiate (0) Oct 9, 2012 Wisconsin

Every Wisconsin Brewing Company beer, it seems like they just don't care about their product.

Diotima likes this.
  21. TroyS62

TroyS62 Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2013 Vermont
    Deactivated

Weyerbacher Double Simcoe. Had this before maybe the bottle was bad, just wasn't doing it for me.

22. bigdaddyjerry

bigdaddyjerry Initiate (0) May 6, 2013 Maryland

brooklyn chocolate stout....... no chocolate flavor what so ever.....even put a hershey kiss to try to give it more flavoring...needless to say didnt work to well:grimacing:

23. Qwest_35

Qwest_35 Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2013 Florida

Just opened a CCB Cubano Style Espresso, and it's about to become my 1st drainpour in years! It tastes like coffee flavored water, almost zero carbonation, is this normal? It's my 1st time trying it so I have no point of reference.

24. cestlavie

cestlavie Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2011 New York

For so many "advocates" of beer, people on this site seem to be unfamiliar with proper off flavors: oxidation (wet cardboard/papery), Diacetyl (buttered popcorn), DMS (creamed corn), acetaldehyde (green beer), trimethyl (sulfur), isovaleric acid (cheese/sweat), light struck (people seem to know this one), Ortho-Chlorophenol (bandaids- see Rogue Voodoo), sulfidic (rotten eggs), and sulfitic (burnt rubber/matches).

If people familiarized themselves with these flavors, there would be less ignorance, and more recognition of beers with off-flavors rather than "infections". Just my 2 cents.

drew7777 and markgugs like this.
  25. cestlavie

BCS isn't brewed with any chocolate, much to people's dismay...

26. cestlavie

see my comments in your Post Your Latest Haul post. It's not supposed to be sour. It's "sour cherry" imperial stout. have a feeling that's why your disappointed.

27. bcerv-ca

bcerv-ca Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2013 California

SN Ruthless Rye...bland, boring, bad...DRAIN POUR

28. craftabrew407

craftabrew407 Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2013 Florida

Definitely felt the same way. My friend picked up a 4-pack straight from CCB and it was infected. They quickly resolved this and sent him a new 4-pack, and was no longer infected but it just wasn't a tasty beer. I picked up my own 4-pack and gave it another try, it seriously tasted like tomatoes (not sure how) or something of the like. Drain poured my final 3. Just a miss for this usually spot-on brewery.

TonyJ815 likes this.
  29. TooGood

TooGood Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2014 Minnesota

Morning Wood Coffee Stout from Bigwood Brewery, I love coffee stouts and this tasted like weak coffee mixed with a light beer. It was watery and slightly metallic tasting, worst coffee stout I've ever tried.

30. PrimeBeer

PrimeBeer Initiate (103) May 3, 2013 Connecticut
    Trader

Del Ducato My Blueberry Nightmare. Some of my buddies who are into craft beer regarded this as their favorite beer of all time. As such, I had very high hopes for this beer. Unfortunately, I literally couldn't get past the third sip without gagging. Pure acetone with a flavor reminiscent of spoiled balsamic vinegar. Disgusting. First beer I've ever had to pour down the drain and hopefully the last. Something felt wrong about it and I can almost always get through even a mediocre beer.

31. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2012 Florida

In my country, we call that "coffee". :wink:

32. BierGiek

BierGiek Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2012 California

Was that the infected batch? I had one of the for NYE, and it was pretty not good.

33. _--TAD--_

_--TAD--_ Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2013 Texas

Alaskan Pumpkin Porter

34. _--TAD--_

_--TAD--_ Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2013 Texas

infected batch?

35. Qwest_35

Qwest_35 Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2013 Florida

I guess that was a bad description, it's more like iced coffee that's been sitting and all the ice has melted away.

36. BierGiek

BierGiek Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2012 California

Had one that was sour, was told there was an infected batch

37. TheRougeBastard

TheRougeBastard Champion (854) Aug 22, 2011 North Carolina

What????? You had to have a bad batch!!!! All the SOG's I've had have been true to form! FWIW, barley-wine's aren't for everyone...my son hated an aged Bigfoot 2013. Different strokes....

38. RobDB

RobDB Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2009 New Jersey

Stone Smoked Porter with Vanilla Bean an hour ago. I tried to tough it out but just couldn't do it. It had no redeeming qualities to my palate to endure it any further. To each their own.

#1318 RobDB, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
    BigMike likes this.
  39. cfitterer

cfitterer Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2008 Montana

Stone Enjoy By 02/14/14

NonicPanic likes this.
  40. mverity

mverity Initiate (0) Oct 6, 2012 Florida

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.