Latest Drain Pour?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 1fJef, Jun 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaisonRichBiere

SaisonRichBiere Savant (963) Mar 23, 2011 Michigan

Bell's Wild One. Not a fan of sours that are actually sweet.

2. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2013 Massachusetts

Boulevard Coffee Ale. Too bitter. The smell was exceptional but deceiving because it tasted pretty bad.

3. Jnorton00

Jnorton00 Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2007 Massachusetts

Maine Beer Company collaboration 3.

4. MetalMountainMastiff

MetalMountainMastiff Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2012 California

Mine was a bottle of Serpents stout I had over 2 years. When I was about to open it, I noticed there was seepage around the cork.

I'm guessing the beer was infected from a bad cork maybe that didn't seal right? not sure what causes all infections, but It could only be described as a sligt nail polish remover taste, that was stale !

a first with any of Lost Abbeys beers, specially Serpent the one I buy the most.

5. logicerror

logicerror Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2010 California

The Lips of Faith Pluot Tripel a few nights ago... first drainpour I've had in a long time.

MalarkeyMcGee likes this.
  6. Caj1

Caj1 Aspirant (235) Jul 2, 2013 Texas

Someone well meaning but kind of clueless about beer bought a six pack of Third Shift Amber Lager for me. I appreciated the sentiment, and I'd never had it so I thought "eh, it can't be that bad." Yeah, I was wrong on that last part. It was pretty gross. I finished five of the six over about a three week span and finally gave in and poured the last one out, consoling myself with the thought that it was just macrobrewer swill masquerading as craft beer.

7. BurgeoningBrewhead

BurgeoningBrewhead Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2012 Pennsylvania

I've never drain-poured a beer; if I don't like it, I'll enlist help in finishing it, but damnit I'm going to finish that beer. It could be because I haven't had a tainted beer, only ones I couldn't stomach.

mcrago and fastenoughforphish like this.
  8. TheFugitive

TheFugitive Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2010 Illinois

Victory Hop Wallop was my latest drain pour. Drinking a can of Heady previous contributed to my rash decision.

ChesterHop likes this.
  9. WeaponTheyFear

WeaponTheyFear Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2008 Connecticut

I don't remember the brewery but my friend let me taste a smoked Berliner Weisse and it was disgusting.

10. r0nyn

r0nyn Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2009 New York

Evil Twin's Yang IPA. Obnoxiously boozy and devoid of any complexity. Maybe it's better in the black 'n tan that they advertise, but on its own? Not good.

chippo33 likes this.
  11. KingdomBobcat

KingdomBobcat Initiate (0) May 2, 2013 Vermont

The bootstrap pumpkin porter from Kingdom Brewing. Just tasted like nothing I want in a beer. They do have some good beers though that I would suggest checking out.

12. MattXT

MattXT Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2010 Virginia

Smuttynose Really Old Brown Dog. Since I love their normal OBD, and the genre in which one was classified, I figured I'd be into it. Took a few sips and could only taste an awful, spiced, holiday beer. Let it set on the table for a little while and tried again, even worse. Down the drain it went.

13. MrDave

MrDave Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2013 California

Lips of Faith Pluot Ale.

MalarkeyMcGee likes this.
  14. freewill35

freewill35 Defender (672) Oct 27, 2007 Indiana

Jolly Pumpkin Baudelaire IO. After I opened it, bubbles kept coming out. Does anybody know what causes this?

15. VictorWisc

VictorWisc Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2013 Massachusetts

It's called carbonation:astonished:

No, seriously, some bottles can be real gushers, perhaps dues to some unevenness in priming. That should not reflect on the taste, however. Some Champagnes are more carbonated than others and even a slightest shake will send them gushing when open. That's why the traditional approach to Champagne involves a towel and a quick pour. Boulevard tends to overcarbonate their big bottles and it would be normal for an average Saison on lees as well. YMMV

PS: Check out the reviews. They'll tell you the same thing.

16. Herky21

Herky21 Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2011 Iowa

Boulevard Dark Truth Stout is great. Unibroue Trois Pistoles is also good.

djsmith1174 and notchucknorris like this.
  17. Herky21

Herky21 Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2011 Iowa

I love that beer. I've drank, well, a lot of it.

djsmith1174 likes this.
  18. freewill35

freewill35 Defender (672) Oct 27, 2007 Indiana

Thanks for the info. This one overflowed before I had a chance to pour it and it wouldn't stop. Notice the top of the bottle.
    [​IMG]

19. Dreizhen

Dreizhen Aspirant (276) Jun 6, 2013 District of Columbia

I'm with you on Pumpking. I ordered a pitcher of Sam Adams Octoberfest for beer pong. I was given a pitcher of that instead. It was too late to swap when I discovered the difference. It's forever ruined for me.

Yes, yes, there's lots about this brief story I can be mocked for. Go ahead, I deserve it.

20. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (3,070) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

Pearl Street Brewery Dankenstein IIPA.
    No carbonation, sweet syrup and butter, lacking hops.
    I have no idea what happened to this? Maybe the cap was not sealed properly.

21. BrewtopiaofPJ

BrewtopiaofPJ Initiate (0) May 2, 2011 New York

GI Cthula, What a waste of $20 and waiting in line. And all those people trading away their DL's and Cantillon to get one. yeeech

22. notchucknorris

notchucknorris Poo-Bah (2,153) May 28, 2010 California
    Society

Right now, I'm drinking Trader Joes new gluten free beer NGB. And it's about to meet my sink.

braugon likes this.
  23. teraflx

teraflx Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2013 Arizona

Alpine Pure Hopiness. Unfortunately it was so overly carbonated that I couldn't drink it. Must have been a bad batch cause both my bombers did the same. As soon as I opened them they just overflowed foam until there was nothing left.

24. VictorWisc

Most TJ's own-brand beers suck badly. Exception is the wirecaged Unibroue seasonals.

25. LaneMeyer

LaneMeyer Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2011 California

Fantome Boo! Tasted like rotten pumpkins and moldy socks. Not sure if this was the kind of funk that was meant to be there or not, but it went down the drain.

chippo33 likes this.
  26. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2013 Massachusetts

It seems we have differentiating palates

27. notchucknorris

Society

I work there and I'd like to disagree with you, but I just can't. I'm proud of the company for finally realizing that there are much better options out there than the crappy swill that our contract brewers are putting out. Our selection in the past two years has gotten way better. That said, they still throw horse piss beer like this at the customer on a fairly regular basis.

IndyDad, MrDave and VictorWisc like this.
  28. VictorWisc

Continuing OT, but of general interest: I recall pre-Aldi days when they actually had decent stuff. Wine selection has narrowed a bit in the sense that they still have a lot of labels, but a lot of them are distractions, as they move only a handful of top sellers and mostly have regular buys (the days of remainders and bin ends are gone). I still think their association with Two-buck-chuck was a mistake. But I found some beers there (Pleasanton and San Mateo) that I did not see anywhere else. With the complete integration with Aldi, TJ's went more with self-branded varieties and that quickly got them in trouble. Here (Brookline, Cambridge, Framingham and Peabody) they have been increasing locals and imports, but most shelf space is still occupied by self-branded swill. But the Unibroue Xmas seasonal was very good and I'm sitting on the current Golden Ale to give it a try (I'm guessing a variant of LFDM for under $7). I suspect they would get more turnover if they simply chucked the generics, as the price difference is not significant. To their credit here, they have a regular lineup of CBC and Pretty Things, along with SNPA, Harpoon, Allagash White (sadly, only White) and a handful of Smuttynose. Sometimes you can find Brooklyn, Sixpoint and a few others. I'm sure that other than SNPA, the selection on West Coast is quite different. I've been buying Ommegang and Chimay from them for nearly a decade, but he prices have gone up significantly. CBC, Pretty Things and Smuttynose significantly undercut local bottle stores, but the rest have been near the low end of the regular range (and in some bottle stores this can be reduced further with 15% 6-bottle discount in the better stores). The big thing with TJ's (and Whole Foods) is that you can split multipacks and buy singles at the same price. So a single 11.3oz of Allaghash White is only $2.25. Another chain in California that used to have great (limited) selection (better than their stores in other states) was Cost Plus (a.k.a. World Market). Their problem, however, is moving stuff, as turnover is not great. OK... no more thread hijacking...

notchucknorris likes this.
  29. bjmh

bjmh Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2012 Ohio

Breckenridge Vanilla Porter, Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout. Those were the two drain pours out of a mixed sixer of new (to me) beers I bought last week. Life is too short to drink a beer you don't really like. There are plenty out there that I absolutely love!

30. blkcld

blkcld Initiate (188) May 19, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

I think i've only drain poured two beers in recent memory, and they were both a while ago. One was Rogue Chipoltle Ale, and the other one, and by far the worst beer i have ever had the displeasure of tasting was Southern Tier Creme Brûlée. Was so sweet it turned my face inside out, and not in a good tart/sour sort of way. I know some people like that "beer", but i can just not see how in any way shape or form. You could not pay me to even drink another 2oz's of that beer, and i can ususally stomach anything down as long as its in moderation.

Just my .02
    Cheers,
    jeff

Ozzylizard likes this.
  31. notchucknorris

Society

My biggest problem with the beer section of the store is that a few years ago, the company decided to stop going the almost fully generic route and bring in the bigger breweries. That brought stuff like Blue Moon, Stella, Guinness and Corona onto our shelves. And I get that some people have their favorites and love their macro of choice, but our prices are nowhere near competitive on those beers. We've been able to get really good prices on our micros, but for some reason, our bargaining skills failed us with the big boys. So now we have a section that's not exactly enormous to begin with and a good amount of it is beer that people can find anywhere else at not a great price. Seems a little against what Trader Joes claims to be about (products you'll be hard pressed to find anywhere else at great prices). Anyways, back to drainpours...

32. fastenoughforphish

fastenoughforphish Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2012 Illinois

I would never drain pour a beer unless it is infected, and I have never had an infected beer. Creme bruele... delicious. Just had Rogue Banana Peanut Butter, drank that baby even though it was not all the good. Im gonna finish my beer!

Tidesox28 likes this.
  33. VictorWisc

It is a little strange to me that a company that bills itself as an alternative to mainstream would simply place macros on the shelf because "people want them". I'm not that concerned seeing cans or bottles of Guiness Extra, but seeing Corona and Stella is disturbing (PU would be a much better macro import choice, but since they have no cooler space it's not likely to make an appearance). Harpoon, SamA, Smuttynose and SN are about as mainstream as they should go. If they dump macros and generics, they could make space for a lot more local offering, so in addition to CBC and Pretty Things they could put Nightshift, Mystic, Trillium, Jack's Abby and TreeHouse here (and god-knows-what in other parts of the country). If they did this right now, they could nearly corner the market on local breweries and, at the same time, be true to their official mission. Sadly, I've never known TJ's to make good regional decisions. (I have a long story about them going back to 1992, but if I am to take this any further, it would have to go to BM instead of forum). Oh, and I think one thing regional TJ's buyers should do is come here (BA) and post a thread on what TJ's should carry regionally. It would make for an interesting discussion. I, for one, will only buy local from them and not just because their prices on local brands are lower (plus Unibroue simply to encourage them to do more of that). OK, last post of mine on this subject for real now--any further discussion will have to go in private.:sunglasses:

notchucknorris likes this.
  34. Hopbomber

Hopbomber Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2013 England

No reason to ever drain pour at home, I'm aware there are many duds out there, but you can make good food, bread and sauces using undrinkables.

Unless its a donut maple rogue then...

35. PharaohBrett

PharaohBrett Initiate (0) May 7, 2013 Colorado

Lomza Pelne. As it was labeled "Malt Liquor," I should have known better.

36. ACB

ACB Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2013 California

Tastes like a melted, sugar free Werther's Originals strained through cotton candy. Terrible, terrible gimmick beer.

37. VictorWisc

I guess I'll find out in a couple of months when I actually decide to open it. At least I paid $6 for it, not $10 like the stores charge around here... Can't fake experience...

38. Hopmarc

Hopmarc Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2012 Illinois

Solemn Oath Dude Hold My Purse. Horrible!

39. VictorWisc

I'm sitting on an ultra-cheap Chocolate Bunny (something like $2.50 for the bomber, regular price!). It's either going to be the find of the month or I will pour it into my coffee (triple espresso). Either way, it's a win-win scenario.

40. terrancepissant

terrancepissant Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2011 Illinois

boulevard/sierra nevada terra incognita- it was absolutely awful! it was a palate wrecker (good beer in its own right) that destroyed everything after it! It tastes like falling off your bike and getting a bunch of gravel in your mouth. Instead of shelling out $13, take some sandpaper, run it over your tongue, put fresh potting soil in your mouth, swallow and repeat...you just experienced terra incognita and I just saved you $13. You're welcome!

bmugan, Roudy and Bizoneill like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.