Latest Drain Pour?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 1fJef, Jun 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BorisKarloff

BorisKarloff Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2013 Ohio

Midnight Sun Kodiak Brown Ale - I'm guessing it was a particularly old bottle since all that was left was a malt, bitterness and a rubber aftertaste. What a shame!

2. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2008 Oregon

Bell's Batch 9000. The fact that this has a 4 on BA and 3.8 on RB is embarrassing to me. Absolutely vile stuff that Bell's should have been ashamed to release.

3. Mplsmetro57

Mplsmetro57 Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2013 Minnesota

It isn't. Godawful stuff.

4. Maakies

Maakies Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2012 California

maybe because it was old? Big double ipa's get drastically worse when they lose that hop pressence to back up the gigantic malt profile. Either way, Fresh Squeezed is awesome and around the corner we get Chasin Freshies :slight_smile:

Geuzedad likes this.
  5. danielnovak3

danielnovak3 Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2009 Oregon

Bonnie the Rare

6. BeerIsland

BeerIsland Zealot (570) Feb 9, 2003 Pennsylvania

I've never looked at this thread and don't know if this is a repeat but I had a draft Chesterfield Ale yesterday that was completely useless.

7. BlackNote

BlackNote Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2013 Michigan

Dark Horse's Sour 3 Guys Off the Scale and King of the Forest.

8. Lionhawk

Lionhawk Aspirant (220) Nov 14, 2012 Iowa

Modus Hoperandi -- Phenol and a HUGE lingering bitterness sent this one flying. Had high hopes so this was a serious letdown.

9. VictorWisc

VictorWisc Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2013 Massachusetts

Sounds like overextended yeast.

10. gueuzedreg

gueuzedreg Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2013 Colorado

Ebony and Oak is God awful

11. 19etz55

19etz55 Disciple (329) Aug 12, 2007 New Jersey
    Trader

Not in awhile. Been lucky.

12. tcblack4d

tcblack4d Aspirant (221) Jan 5, 2012 Georgia
    Deactivated

I drain poured Bells Expedition stout the first time I had it. I'm very ashamed.

13. trh70

trh70 Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2011 Florida

New Belgiums Fat Tire.

chippo33, GardenWaters and Geuzedad like this.
  14. TheBoozeCruiser

TheBoozeCruiser Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2013

A few months ago, a buddy of mine tried to homebrew an IPA and messed it up pretty bad. The fermentation temps were too high, and in fact may not have been completed. To call the final product cloying would be the understatement of the century. We tossed the batch together.

15. jdmandel

jdmandel Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2011 California

Epic Brainless on Raspberries. Smelled alright, tasted wrong. Brainless on Cherries was good so I expected more from this.

Geuzedad likes this.
  16. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Crusader (773) Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

Someone brought me back a bottle of Lancaster Hop Hog IPA from their recent trip to PA. My last name is "Hogge", so he said he thought of me and my beer infatuation. I took one sip and poured it down the drain. It's the thought that counts, right?

Geuzedad likes this.
  17. ChipMurray

ChipMurray Disciple (384) May 21, 2013 Pennsylvania

Thanks for that unintended advice. I've been meaning to try that one, but always found something I wanted more. After your experience, and reading the comments on the beer's profile, all I can say is thank you much.

I stopped drain pouring recently, I'm one of those that will drink an expensive bottle of craft beer no matter how bad. That will then be the last time it's ever looked at again.

Cubatobaco likes this.
  18. DrewskiWhit

DrewskiWhit Aspirant (258) Mar 22, 2013 Indiana
    Trader

Bud light

VictorWisc and ChipMurray like this.
  19. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Disciple (385) Nov 14, 2010 Arizona
    Society

I have actually been really disapointed in several of the latest Lips of Faith offerings. They just seem to be over-reaching IMO and not hitting the mark.

Ozzylizard likes this.
  20. Sunn

Sunn Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2012 Iowa

Deschutes Hop Henge IPA. I took a sip, and became insanely confused. All I could taste was bitter alcohol and nothing else. I took a gander at the bottle and realized it's been past it's expiration date for over 4 months. DOH.

21. schmidtmattsays

schmidtmattsays Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2013 Illinois

hinterland saison - really wish i hadn't bought the 4-pack

22. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (3,168) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

chippo33 likes this.
  23. Tr0janSlay3r

Tr0janSlay3r Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2013 Pennsylvania

Shocktop Raspberry Wheat...SO GROSS

braugon likes this.
  24. Dupage25

Dupage25 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

I liked the collaboration with the weird name but yeah, Cascara was a major fail and Pluot was bad too.

Geuzedad likes this.
  25. Derranged

Derranged Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2010 New York

26. ThrashMaster

ThrashMaster Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2012 Massachusetts

Lost Abbey - Angels Share, brandy barrel 2008.

Absolutely dead flat. Had to get burned by em eventually. 30 bucks down the drain.

27. BayouBengal1537

BayouBengal1537 Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2009 Louisiana

recent drain pour was Sam Adams Imperial White...way too big of a thick, syrupy, boozy mess for a Witbier

28. VictorWisc

One man's syrup is another man's manna. Most people would disagree with this assessment, but it may also benefit from a bit of cellar time.

Speaking of cellar, I expected to end up with a drain pour tonight, but was pleasantly surprised. And it's not even beer, but sake--although RateBeer rates sake along with beer. This one's a doozie, if somewhat OT.

I had two bottles of Momokawa Pearl Nigori Sake and a bottle of Momokawa Diamond that have been forgotten about in the cellar for years. Twelve years and Pearl is supposed to be drunk fresh--never mind that it's an acquired taste to begin with. It is a milky, somewhat sweet and boozy (mostly) unfiltered concoction that is supposed to be well shaken and cold when served. Well, this thing has been sitting in the basement for about 12 years longer than was intended, so I opened it with some trepidation. I expected a sour, lumpy mess. And the first sign was not good--it poured very cloudy, as expected, but not white--more like "tan", almost latte colored. But that was the last bit of bad news. It is smooth, slightly grainy, fruity drink, with both sweet and sour notes, but both much more mellow than in fresh Pearl, with a nice boozy but not overwhelming finish that's just overwhelming. It originally tipped in at 18%, but, being on the lees, it may well be higher now. Aside from some clean sake yeast flavors, this could have been an interesting Quad or Barleywine. Whatever it is, it's most certainly not a drain pour, despite the somewhat offensive color. Now I have a different problem--I have an open 750cc bottle of almost 20% booze with no other takers... I'd hope to finish it tomorrow, but that's optimistic by any measure. I wonder what Diamond is going to turn out like, but I'm not going to make any assumptions this time. Serious question that I will pose on appropriate forum later--has anyone brewed beer with sake lees?

29. Boitnott

Boitnott Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2010 North Carolina

Amen to that. That beer was so bad.

infuturity83 and tr9871 like this.
  30. ZionNation

ZionNation Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2013 Arizona

spelling may be off here, but not worth checking since it sucked, but it was the Green Flash Rayon Vert. Bought a four pack of this at Total Wine in Peoria Arizona. Cost about ten dollars for four, each and every beer gushed and not a little but more than half the bottle on each bottle gushed like a geyser, totally disappointing and the beer had been sitting for a day or two, not like I was moving it around and shaking it. total and complete rip off. and what was I going to do, take it back. turned me off to every buying another Green Flash product and I have liked some of their beers and felt like some are hit or miss, the Rayon Vert is the biggest miss of them all. I didn't need to pout it down the drain, it did that job for me. once the two or three ounces that were left were in my glass, it tasted ok if perhaps a bit past its prime. rip off.

31. notchucknorris

notchucknorris Poo-Bah (2,154) May 28, 2010 California
    Society

Funny you should mention Chocolate Bunny. I picked this up on a trip out to Maryland a few weeks ago. After I brought it back, I noticed a few suspicious things:
    1- It's made by the same brewery (Minhas, though it says "Rhinelander" on the bottle) that makes the Boatswain Chocolate Stout for Trader Joes.
    2. The ABV is identical (or 0.1% off, if I remember correctly) to the Boatswain Chocolate Stout.
    3. (Presumed) I'm an idiot and I just spent 3 times the money I should have (and wasted the space in my bag lugging the bastard back) on a crappy beer that I can pick up in the store that I work.
    4. Dammit.

VictorWisc likes this.
  32. VictorWisc

I guess, mine was cheaper.

notchucknorris likes this.
  33. notchucknorris

Society

I'll admit, of the Boatswain beers, the Chocolate Stout is the best. However, I'd equate this to choosing death by firing squad over drowning, being burned alive, or being eaten by a pack of wild hyenas. And not worth $6 by a long shot.

VictorWisc likes this.
  34. VictorWisc

True. I paid $2.50 for a bomber before seeing the reviews. I would not experiment with a whole 6-pack.

notchucknorris likes this.
  35. notchucknorris

Society

I do and I don't wish I could say that was for a six pack. "Do" because I would look smarter paying that for 6 bottles. "Don't" because then I would have to drink 6 of these. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), this was for one bottle.

VictorWisc likes this.
  36. ubenumber2

ubenumber2 Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2012 Arkansas

Just now , Tommyknocker Small Patch Pumpkin Ale , Blah , this was some foul tasting crap

37. joeymac13

joeymac13 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 Minnesota

yeah that was a huge waste of money. honestly very little that Rogue has done impresses me

Ozzylizard likes this.
  38. elchicodelgado

elchicodelgado Initiate (147) Mar 3, 2008 Texas
    Trader

Chicken Killer barleywine. I bought it a few days ago, tasted it, remembered that I drain poured it in the last year or two, drain poured it and was pissed about my terrible memory. I've maybe drain poured 5 in my life and that was 2 of the 5...

39. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2011 Missouri

So nasty. Dumped. Glad it was a free sample.

40. RobM77

RobM77 Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2013 Illinois

Boulevard Smokestack Series Chocolate Ale. Absolutely love the stuff (corked bottle), this one was bottled February 2010, and needless to say, August of 2013, it didn't hold up. Two bombers, poured down.:slight_frown:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.