Latest Pipeworks Releases and Updates

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Lansman, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Lansman

Lansman Aspirant (239) Mar 19, 2011 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Let's try this again. Fourth iteration of this thread. Please post PW information in this forum and let's continue to "play by the rules" to avoid giving admins any opportunity to lock this down. I think we can all agree that we appreciate having information contained in one place and the opportunity to have Pipeworks respond in one thread has been a great benefit for the BA Community.

Mods - please feel free to contact me off thread as to why this keeps getting locked down - it is increasingly frustrating to have multiple threads open on the same topic, when countless members on this forum rely on this thread for the latest Pipeworks information. (See Thread #1, #2, and #3 for confirmation)

2. Lansman

Beer Trader

EDIT: I have been told why the last thread was locked down. Please keep it clean guys and gals. No need to turn this into an inappropriate forum. The previous thread (iteration #3) had over 100K views, and provided a great source of info for the BA Community, as well as a great way in which the community can interact directly with Pipeworks on a daily basis. Let's keep it that way and not ruin a good thing.

/rant

3. vasinger

vasinger Initiate (0) Sep 28, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Is BA owned by Disney? Is swearing allowed?

4. RWNay

RWNay Disciple (346) Oct 7, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Thanks for keeping it going Lansman!

5. Infinite1

Infinite1 Aspirant (273) Jul 2, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Just to throw in my 2 cents, why not just delete the post ?

6. jrman1386

jrman1386 Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Is there any truth in an impending canning line? I think the most exciting thing that would hit Chicago in a long while, would be 4 packs of tallboy NvU.

7. Redpac

Redpac Initiate (136) Aug 27, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

FwB here. I'm curious, Why didn't y'all get in early in the kickstarter FwB? Everyone seems so excited for sloppy seconds but why didn't you all become a FwB t

8. Dontcounttoday

Dontcounttoday Devotee (456) Apr 23, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Very easy to judge in hindsight. Gambling on a new brewery you have yet had any beer from (or maybe you were lucky enough to have tried 1 or 2 samplings) vs getting in on a brewery loyalty club that is already established and awesome.

Born_A_Jee, blue-dream and Jaycase like this.
  9. Socalfan21

Socalfan21 Aspirant (229) Aug 1, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Just had Toasty Nut Abduction last night. Easily my favorite pipeworks beer to date. That's definitely a beer I would drink as a dessert.

Born_A_Jee and DangleBerries like this.
  10. spicoli00

spicoli00 Zealot (539) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

Fucking amateurs

JRBecks, rxeight and blue-dream like this.
  11. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (452) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

Where did you hear about that?

12. a_beckman25

a_beckman25 Disciple (340) Jan 27, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Well done

13. Infinite1

Infinite1 Aspirant (273) Jul 2, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

because I didn't know about it

14. jrman1386

Beer Trader

The way anyone hears about anything. From a friend who knows someone, who's third cousin 4 times removed is a brewer at Pipeworks. But really, I heard it from a friend in the industry who heard it from a distributor.

15. dwduncan2

dwduncan2 Aspirant (262) Feb 8, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

16. rxeight

rxeight Aspirant (289) Feb 5, 2012 Illinois

Kinda like asking why you didn't send bill gates your money when he was working out of his dad's garage.

SpunkyHopslammer likes this.
  17. spicoli00

Drank a cherry truffle abduction tonight. Shared with some like minded individuals. Big hit.
    [​IMG]

18. Redpac

Redpac Initiate (136) Aug 27, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

That's not an accurate analogy. Gates didn't have a public campaign offering rewards for donating money.

19. Pipeworks

Pipeworks Initiate (0) May 28, 2009 Illinois

is it because I said Kate was working her micro-dick off? because she'll be the first to tell you that she is...

mfnmbvp, Chrixsus, Huskie_79 and 8 others like this.
  20. Pipeworks

not really top secret news... we've posted pictures of the cans a few times on here, discussed pricing of the cans with you guys, and we posted about canning lines twice 2 weeks ago :stuck_out_tongue:

Chrixsus, thetomG, CMB2012 and 8 others like this.
  21. jrman1386

Beer Trader

I missed that! But now I'm excited. Can't wait!

22. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (452) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

I missed all of that, but who cares! I'm very excited about this!

23. Pipeworks

just had a proprietors and will say that we are sufficiently happy with the amount of coconut flavor in Toasty Nut :wink: We are continually working on our 'perceived' body though... because we like our gravity numbers but the texture isn't where we want it and we are always working on that...

24. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Aspirant (202) Sep 19, 2012 Illinois

Was about to post like a week ago that we've had the same Pipeworks beer on a couple of shelves here for at least a year and a half now. . . . BUT, I strolled into the store today to see several new offerings available, I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.

SO now in DeKalb (don't forget to capitalize the K people, its called heritage people!) . . . We have on our shelves, Ninja Vs Unicorn, Deutsch Hopfen Ninja, Raz Blue Brother Beardo and one other I wanna say that I cant remember.

Thanks PW, keep the good 'ish comin'! And I will deff. stop by the bottle shop once it opens.

25. Pipeworks

which stores are you referring to? are you saying the same batch of beer sat on a shelf for a year???

26. Pipeworks

o nevermind, you mean Lundeens...

Huskie_79 likes this.
  27. Norseman

Norseman Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2013 Illinois

I've put in calls to Marty and Doc but only got voicemail....
    [​IMG]

28. JakeT469

JakeT469 Disciple (333) Jan 13, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Pretty sure it was my comment about Kate working her micro-dick off that got the thread shut down. After I posted it the thread was shut down a little after and my post is no longer there. Sorry to all of you Pipeworks fanatics out there.

29. Norseman

Norseman Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2013 Illinois

Latest Pipeworks Assumption: all employees have normal sized and gender specific genitalia

1000lbgrizzly, Pipeworks and rxeight like this.
  30. shadetree67

shadetree67 Disciple (380) Sep 11, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

From what I can tell they don't have a taproom. Which bars in the loop area would be my best bet to try a lot of their beer?

31. spicoli00

No tap room. Limited draft availability, have never seen PW on draft in the loop. best bet is Binny's south loop, binny's grand or printer's row wine shop for bottles.

shadetree67 likes this.
  32. capnmike

capnmike Aspirant (225) Dec 6, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Agreed, I'm not personally aware of a good Loop spot for multiple samples. Shade, if you're working downtown and looking for a long-lunch-type setting to get multiple sample-sized drafts, well, I hope someone comes up with a great answer for you.

If you're with one or more friends to share bombers AND have the time, these are not too terribly far by public transportation/cab.

http://www.beermenus.com/places/1255-local-option
    http://www.beermenus.com/places/2120-map-room

33. spicoli00

@shadetree67 you should also consider
    maria's http://www.beermenus.com/places/1974-maria-s-packaged-goods-community-bar-
    and
    fountainhead http://www.beermenus.com/places/1904-fountainhead

from what i can tell, maria's has bottles. doesn't look like fountainhead has anything now, but they occasionally have PW on draft. it's a crap shoot. I love pipeworks, but if i were you, i'd be pounding the shit out of daisy cutter primarily because you can get this on draft at any decent bar. if you are up for the hunt, the PW offerings are worth seeking out though.

shadetree67 likes this.
  34. Lansman

Beer Trader

January 31, 2014 Update

This week we have three old friends returning.

Blood of the Unicorn
    One of our original hop beasts of burden makes its whimsically triumphant return. Blood of the Unicorn is Ninja vs Unicorn's hot read headed sister. Loaded with fruity and piney American hops this rouge equine always delivers. $9.99, 22oz, 8.5% ABV

Beejay's Weirdo Brown Ale
    In October we had a single open spot on the schedule and told BeeJay he could brew whatever his little bearded heart desired. The result of his labors (and what some professionals call insanity) is BeeJay's Weirdo Brown Ale. We asked him what he wanted to hop it with and he just kept yelling "ALL OF THE NESLON!" We obliged him and the result is a delicious hoppy imperial brown ale with lovely aromas of tangerine, passion fruit and grapefruit. This time around we double batched it so there's plenty to go around! Drink early, drink often. $10.99, 22oz, 9.5% ABV

Game of Jones
    I would say, "Winter is coming" but I think we're all aware that it's here and has been for a while. What better way to spend the cold winter's eves than with a bottle of a roasty, chocolatey imperial milk stout? We brew Game of Jones with chocolate, vanilla bean and lactose sugar. Great now or after winter's thaw. (April 17th for those who know what I mean...) $10.99, 22oz, 10% ABV

On the Brewing Horizon:
    Marilime Law - Brewed in collaboration with Tired Hands in Ardmore, PA with lime juice, lime zest and featuring Simcoe hops
    Pipeworks Simcoe - Imperial IPA featuring Simcoe Hops
    The Mighty Thor - Imperial Wheat Porter brewed in honor of Jeff Kuhnie's dog Thor who passed recently
    Ninja Vs Unicorn - Double IPA

Norseman and Jaycase like this.
  35. mtskier

mtskier Initiate (81) Feb 23, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Mostly want to get this thread into my threads, but I would like to reiterate my same request again, as I have several times in here, what do I have to do to get my paws on a PW snifter?

Also excited for more Simcoe, probably my favorite hop.

36. ravot

ravot Devotee (426) Mar 20, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Beejay's weirdo brown ale. oh boy.

37. Born_A_Jee

Born_A_Jee Initiate (185) Aug 1, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Hard to tell if you mean that in a good or bad way lol

38. ravot

ravot Devotee (426) Mar 20, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

it does look rather snarky. definitely good.

39. rxeight

rxeight Aspirant (289) Feb 5, 2012 Illinois

I enjoyed it quite a bit.

40. capnmike

capnmike Aspirant (225) Dec 6, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

spicoli00 likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.