Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

Latest WOW beer!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Jeffo, Jun 17, 2013.

1. ArkansasTraveller

ArkansasTraveller Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 Arkansas

I really enjoyed the Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Quad I had a few days ago. Most of their smokestack series have been wow beers for me.

JeremyDanner likes this.
  2. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (596) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

irishrogue likes this.
  3. colingaiser

colingaiser Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2014 Colorado

Deschutes is consistently very good, but I was floored by their Red Chair NWPA! Despite the piney essence of the hops there is not too much bitterness, and the malty notes of caramel and toffee are ever-so-perfectly balanced. It's probably my favorite discovery of this winter. Wicked good!

4. ArkansasTraveller

ArkansasTraveller Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 Arkansas

Also, I forgot to mention Mogli by Caldera brewing. Its freakin' delicious and smells like you stuffed tootsie rolls up your nose! I would have edited it into my last post but it wouldn't let me for some reason.

loafinaround and Kurmaraja like this.
  5. jallen5076

jallen5076 Initiate (188) Aug 16, 2012 New Jersey

Had Brooklyn's Hand & Seal the other day, and was very pleasantly surprised.

Phigg1102 likes this.
  6. Sarge3130

Sarge3130 Devotee (486) May 13, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Le Sarrasin

7. Greels

Greels Disciple (356) May 6, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Depravity from Renegade in Denver.

It's an Imperial Peanut Butter Cup stout. Haven't had anything that the peanut butter shined through so well on. And at 11%, it is sneaky smooth with almost no hints of booze.

If you are in the Denver area, do yourself a favor and go try a pint or pick up a growler to share with some friends.

robwater likes this.
  8. Redneckwine

Redneckwine Aspirant (264) Dec 3, 2013 Washington

Drinking my first Deschutes The Abyss as I type, nice and fresh. Wow, this beer is a godamn masterpiece.

It was a Christmas gift from my bro; I don't usually buy spendy bombers (or any bombers), but this one is almost certainly worth the $15-$16. I don't even necessarily go crazy over imperial stouts, but this is simply a masterfully crafted beer. I might just buy another one to cellar a year or so and see what happens.

Also, check out Deschutes Red Chair NWPA right now while it's here. Every year it is a "WOW" caliber beer.

#2728 Redneckwine, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
    DWheeler379 and Phigg1102 like this.
  9. FaradayUncaged

FaradayUncaged Crusader (718) Oct 24, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Evil Twin Molotov Lite. Good stuff and enjoyed it much more than 'regular' Molotov from a few days prior. A bit pricey, but I could see this being a fridge staple when available.

Phigg1102 likes this.
  10. SpruceFish

SpruceFish Aspirant (245) Jan 18, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Barley Wine. It was just so good. 14.5% and I would have never know if it was not listed.

Phigg1102 likes this.
  11. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Champion (838) Sep 9, 2013 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Had my first Russian River sour the other day- Consecration. Wow Im glad I have another bottle and I need to seek some more out.

oldsailor likes this.
  12. Hopheadgou

Hopheadgou Initiate (0) May 14, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Hell Yea! Batch 3 had some big Maple flavors too. I go to Tree every thursday. Love that place. Cheers.

13. Streaky

Streaky Initiate (199) Mar 26, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I was not prepared to like Founder's Big Luscious as much as I did. I thought their last few newer releases were just okay...and I figured this one would be kind of gimmicky, but one sip and yep, I had to say WOW. Color me impressed!

Phigg1102 and Mothergoose03 like this.
  14. Digital_luda

Digital_luda Initiate (0) May 25, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Green flash palat wrecker. I adore that one

Phigg1102, nickmantia and raeman70 like this.
  15. DrunkAl

DrunkAl Aspirant (280) Apr 22, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Had Le Sarrasin a week ago. Wow.

16. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (2,000) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Supporter Subscriber

I had this one on tap a few night ago. I'm like you, I wasn't expecting much. It was pricey at the bar (I think it was $10.50 for an 8 oz. pour), and it's pricey in the bottle too. So the question becomes... is it worth it?

17. sjjn

sjjn Disciple (385) Jun 4, 2004 New York
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Cambridge Brewing Company Indiscipline...WOW!
    [​IMG]

18. nickmantia

nickmantia Initiate (103) Feb 19, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Trillium DDH Melcher Street IPA.

[​IMG]

jlordi12, Phigg1102 and JLaw55 like this.
  19. Spiral517

Spiral517 Initiate (153) Sep 17, 2013 Maryland

i had the dc brau alpha domina last weekend at the brewery. it was great! otwoa is my favorite tho

20. papat444

papat444 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2006 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

TG Sap & 3F Permanent Funeral off the top of my head.

Phigg1102 likes this.
  21. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (1,601) Apr 6, 2010 Texas
    Supporter Beer Trader

3F's Yum Yum and Blot Out The Sun. Just when I think I've discovered all they have to offer, they up the ante.

22. Phigg1102

Phigg1102 Champion (817) Sep 29, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Sippin' on some grapefruit sculpin right now. Wow is accurate! Any thoughts on Habanero? Is it worth a try?

23. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (1,601) Apr 6, 2010 Texas
    Supporter Beer Trader

Forgot one other - Surly Todd The Axe Man. Citralicious.

24. Wardo

Wardo Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Big weekend for first time "WOW" beers.

Kicked off Friday with a DB Huna received in trade with DMBForever - never had one, what a beer, unreal! (thanks DMB!).

Saturday afternoon we compared '13 BT with '14 Rum BT (thanks Veliksta1!). Both beers were spectacular, with the edge in flavor/liking going to the Rum BT. I've had numerous years of BT, but have to say, this ('13) was one of the best BT's I have ever consumed, so rich and smoooth. While I am a huge, huge, fan of BCBS, it doesn't stand up to BT.

25. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (6,470) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri

Bent Paddle Double Black

26. StoutishDan

StoutishDan Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2011 Georgia

Unfortunately, even a rightly made Root Beer contains some amount of alcohol. Would we, then, call IT an alcoholic beverage? Eh? Eh? Eh?

27. ahbithwabm

ahbithwabm Devotee (495) Apr 27, 2013 Illinois
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Was pretty impressed with hunter Vanilla. Coffee was great too.

28. StoutishDan

StoutishDan Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2011 Georgia

Mendocino Brewing's Black Hawk Stout was a pleasant surprise. Didn't expect much, but it was nice. Definitely going to buy this again.

29. PuckIt

PuckIt Aspirant (287) Feb 6, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

White Rajah blew me away - but I also didn't have high expectations.

IowaPA and Cory_Brown like this.
  30. Chinaskifan1

Chinaskifan1 Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2010 Pennsylvania

G'Night by Oskar Blues. Drank 3 of the 16 ozers the other night and it was "good night.!" My new favorite brewery...

Greels likes this.
  31. tectactoe

tectactoe Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2012 Michigan

commercially produced root beer is force carbonated & does not have any alcohol.

homemade root beer that is made with yeast will have a low alcohol content, likely below the 0.5% ABV threshold of which it can be officially labeled as "non-alcoholic" based on US (FDA?) food labeling law, but it would be technically incorrect to say that it does not contain alcohol. Because it does. Doesn't matter how fucken small.

magnesium only makes up about 0.1% (by mass) of our bodies but if you were to say we are "magnesium free" that would be a load of bullshit because magnesium is needed for survival.

32. zeff80

That one is fantastic, especially on tap.

Johntomk likes this.
  33. zeff80

I love this one, too! I'm a huge fan of Australian/New Zealand hops.

Suds_Suds and JLaw55 like this.
  34. Breaking_Beard

Breaking_Beard Initiate (67) Oct 17, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Is this named after what I think its named after?

35. Bdawg222

Bdawg222 Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2015 New Jersey

Safeword from Free Will in Perkasie,PA. A habanero-mango IPA. The hot was just right with sweet mango finish. Not typically a flavored beer drinker, but Safeword lives up to it's name. The Techno IPA and Chasing The Dragon went home in growlers. Our new favorite in PA!

36. Djc

Djc Initiate (125) Jan 5, 2014 Ohio

For me recently it is victory hop ranch. I thought it was amazing and so good or easy to drink with how much alcohol is in it

LagersAndAles and Johntomk like this.
  37. KrajDoesBeer

KrajDoesBeer Devotee (465) Aug 2, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Fat Head's Head Hunter... Love this trading thing!

38. kingston2

kingston2 Devotee (409) Sep 14, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Second Fiddle is fantastic[​IMG]

39. Coorsy

Coorsy Defender (684) Jul 11, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

easy. the beer i just finished... trilliums heavy mettle. I mean i knew it was going to be good. but... WOW. I mean WOW. All or their IPAs are just top of the line. If i only had enough money for 1 beer and Heady, Pliny, and Heavy Mettle were on the shelf. Id be sipping on that Mettle.

-xICooRsYIx

plutoniumpete likes this.
  40. wordemupg

wordemupg Poo-Bah (3,752) Feb 11, 2009 Alberta (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I've had some great beer lately but only 2 rated 4.5 of higher, Westy Blond and BB Biscotti Break, both world class beers.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.