Lawson's Finest Entering MA

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by steve_o4, Jan 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juliolugo

juliolugo Initiate (93) Jun 22, 2015 Massachusetts

SunDevilBeer likes this.
  2. yuppiescum

yuppiescum Initiate (47) Jun 4, 2009 Massachusetts

I mean, is it that much better than Whirlpool? (Identical BA scores btw, I just checked) I had an SS#2 sixer in my fridge for maybe a month or more that I got very easily on a sunday from that gas station off the highway in Waterbury. I will say that I'm a fan of the 12oz format.

3. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (669) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Jeez the hysteria doesn't equal reality here. Nice beer if you can get it at convenience at a non-extortionist price, but really nothing worth going nuts about.

yuppiescum likes this.
  4. BRYeleJR

BRYeleJR Disciple (347) May 18, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I think this will change over time and once the rarity of it being available in MA wears off. CT has had both Sip of Sunshine and Super Session #2 for a while. It's still impossible to find Sip on the shelves, but last time I was back in CT, they had plenty of six packs of Super Session #2 just sitting in the cooler.

SunDevilBeer likes this.
  5. AirBob

AirBob Crusader (713) Jul 15, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Maybe the ubiquity of NS, Brewster Jack, and other quality IPAs will help lessen the demand over time in MA as compared to CT.

#165 AirBob, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  6. smutty33

smutty33 Crusader (798) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

Just my opinion, but Whirlpool is a MUCH better beer. Super session doesn't do much for me. I see it on the shelves here in CT. and pass it by. Even if it wasn't over priced, I still have no interest.

7. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,943) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Not to get technical, but Whirlpool has a 4.13 average and Super Session #2 has a 4.09, roughly the same number of reviews.

Whirlpool's weighted average on the "Top American Pale Ales" list is a 4.1 too (not sure what Super Session's is since it's listed here as an American IPA and a 4.09 isn't even close to make it on that list).

And I also agree, Whirlpool is a MUCH better beer. Super Session #2 felt like every other thin and watery session IPA on that market, maybe with a touch more character. I'd maybe drink it again, but I'm not going out of my way to buy another six pack.

I crank Whirlpool all the time. It's one of the few that can pull off the "session IPA" style. It's that beer, Baby Genius, Walden, and then everyone else. There's a few that get honorable mention, but those three didn't actually feel like I was drinking an "IPA Lite".

Oh, and while I'm at it, if you're keeping score, Whirlpool is 4.5% (Baby Genius and Walden are 4%) and Super Session #2 is 4.8%. Even more sessionable too! 16 oz. can vs. 12 oz. as well if that matters to you (I actually like 12 oz. cans better).

robNSB, kinopio, jlordi12 and 7 others like this.
  8. lic217

lic217 Savant (924) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Trader

Not only do I like whirlpool more then SS2, but I also prefer two roads session IPA, little heaven. However, I do enjoy sip of sunshine. I like the mix of citrus, pine, and tropical hop flavors. I also like its balance between sweet and bitter. I think it is a very well made beer.

jlordi12 and yuppiescum like this.
  9. Bissel328

Bissel328 Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2015 Massachusetts

Bogies in Beverly has been getting it as well as Quality Liquors in Salem

10. Bissel328

Bissel328 Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2015 Massachusetts

To be fair Baby G is White Ale not an IPA...But I totally agree with everything you said.

Cheers!

11. juliolugo

juliolugo Initiate (93) Jun 22, 2015 Massachusetts

I wouldn't call Baby Genius a white ale. Session IPA, blonde ale or APA, sure.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  12. sosbombs

sosbombs Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2016 Vermont

Cases we got in Vermont were canned on 2/6. Hope this isn't just a beer being dumped.

BeantownBrews likes this.
  13. BeantownBrews

BeantownBrews Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts

Womp womp. Let us know?

Edit: I've done that drive in like 6.5 hours

14. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2013 New York

Their cans take a long time going through the entire distribution journey. They should really just date their cans on the date they would hit the shelves. Yours cans are fresh and the latest batch. :astonished:

15. BeantownBrews

I don't think lying is the ideal solution, " canned on: 'the future' "

pinyin likes this.
  16. NiceBeerCans

Haha. It's just confusing that the freshest available can has a date that makes you think it's not the latest batch. Maybe they need to do the Alchemist thing, no dates on cans.

17. BeantownBrews

You think the current system is confusing, alchemist is a mess. I have to block my beer :rolling_eyes:

18. NiceBeerCans

In reality, they should just list the canning dates on their website and the anticipated dates they would hit the shelves. Then people would know if they got the latest batch.

19. colby600

colby600 Crusader (797) Mar 24, 2015 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I don't care if it's the latest batch, I'd just like to know when it was canned.

pinyin and BeantownBrews like this.
  20. BeantownBrews

My feelings exactly!

21. jamvt

jamvt Devotee (400) Aug 5, 2005 Massachusetts
    Trader

Please explain the "entire" distribution journey besides the truck leaving ct and going to vt and then shipping to stores.

22. RuckIt

RuckIt Aspirant (211) Apr 29, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

Burlington Wine & Spirits posted 3 cases arrived at 2:10ish, one 4pk pp... sold out just after 3pm.

23. marcrgrenier

marcrgrenier Initiate (68) Apr 22, 2015 New Hampshire
    Trader

Seems to me that they only can it twice a month. I got some on 2/28, it was canned on 2/21. Guessing the 2/21 cans hit the shelves with maybe the 2/24 delivery, so if you bought it prior to that you got the last canning run which sounds like it was on 2/6.

24. sosbombs

No they are not. Compared to The Alchemist or Treehouse? These beers are three weeks old already on the date of purchase (not a deal breaker, but they can do better).

25. sosbombs

Will check the dates on the next delivery before buying and let you know.

BeantownBrews likes this.
  26. mtrovato328

mtrovato328 Initiate (36) Dec 8, 2015 California

In town for a week... anyone know where I can get some in the Cambridge/Somerville or revere area??

Thanks!

27. BRYeleJR

Trader

If you're open to simply having it at a bar, use the "Find It" feature on Untappd, and you have a good chance of finding it on tap somewhere.

I think Porter's -- a bar by the Garden in Boston -- posted they may be tapping a keg pf Sip of Sunshine this weekend, so I'd stay tuned to that.

As far as cans? Most places sell out within an hour of tweeting or posting on Facebook that they have it. Really is right place at the right time.

28. mtrovato328

Cool thanks! I thought the initial hype may have died down a little...

If anyone else has seen any, the help is appreciated!

29. BRYeleJR

Trader

Not just yet. The hype is still real. It did drop in Burlington at a liquor store yesterday -- or the day before -- and three cases at 1 four-pack per sold out in under a couple hours.

30. RuckIt

RuckIt Aspirant (211) Apr 29, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

I got one of the last 4-packs at 3:05.

31. mtrovato328

Got 4 total... Salem and Swampscott

When they said 2pp, I assumed 2 4pk's... nope... 2 beers!

32. vtcraft

vtcraft Initiate (187) Apr 1, 2013 Vermont
    Trader

The cans I got from last Wednesday's deliveries in Burlington vt were 2/20 or 2/21 the week before were the 2/6 batch. I brought some of each batch down to Florida for a share, I purposely said nothing about the date difference and a couple guys noticed a difference in taste. Interestingly Frost Lush stole the show over: Sip, prospect, And heady.

33. BRYeleJR

Trader

Hopster's Alley in the Boston Public Market is putting it out at 5:30 today for anyone who's interested.

34. Trull

Trull Disciple (388) Dec 24, 2016 Massachusetts

Brewer's Tap and Table in Waltham have it currently on draft.

35. soheadyithurts

soheadyithurts Initiate (122) Jan 4, 2013 Massachusetts

Also the Gaff up the street put a keg on last night.

36. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (669) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

$8.50 for 14 oz (surely precious) pour. Not too bad for this beer I guess, but still pretty $$ .

37. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,943) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Five Horses Tavern in Davis Square (Somerville) has it listed on tap currently on their website. It's typically up to date. Although something like Sip of Sunshine may kick sooner rather than later.

I think it lasted a day or two at Redbones (also in Davis Square) a couple weeks back when I had it on draft there.

38. jlordi12

jlordi12 Devotee (470) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts

I can't believe this thread is still going strong with all the local IPAs/IIPAs that are just as good and readily available

39. nolanz14

nolanz14 Initiate (195) Aug 31, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Agreed. Nice beer but not worth the rat race required to obtain it.

jlordi12 likes this.
  40. BAMF

BAMF Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2007 Massachusetts

That's not bad, Lower Depths had it on for $8 for a 9 oz pour last Friday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.