Lawson's Finest Liquids Introduces Little Sip IPA

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by Todd, Jun 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,653) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Lawson’s Finest Liquids invites you to join them in welcoming Little Sip IPA, the newest addition to the Sunshine family of beer. Little Sip IPA quenches your thirst as you reach the summit of your favorite hike or when you sink a birdie on the golf course. It keeps you company while you mow the lawn and it’s just what you need after a long day on the job. This may very well be your new desert island beer!

Little cousin to Lawson’s Finest flagship beer Sip of Sunshine IPA, Little Sip IPA has a juicy, fruit-forward character layered with tropical hop flavors and bright floral aromas. Notes of grapefruit and pineapple complement this delectably balanced beer, with a crushable 6.2% ABV. Formulated at their original 7bbl brewery in Warren, VT, Little Sip IPA will be produced at the Waitsfield, VT location where Lawson’s Finest brews Double Sunshine IPA and Triple Sunshine IPA.

“It’s my new favorite everyday beer!” exclaims Lawson’s Finest Liquids founding brewer and co-owner Sean Lawson. “For years, fans have been saying how much they love Sip of Sunshine and asked me to brew a similar juicy hop-forward IPA with a little lower alcohol. It’s so refreshing - perfect for the end of a mountain bike ride.”

In celebration of the release, Lawson’s Finest will be rolling out a unique and inventive virtual launch that will include a plethora of activities, both online and outdoors. There will be many opportunities for fans to take part in physical challenges and scavenger hunts to win Little Sip prizes and also join virtual Little Sip IPA tastings with the Lawson's Finest team.

Little Sip IPA will be available in 4-packs of 16 oz. cans beginning June 26th at the Lawson’s Finest retail store in Waitsfield, VT and on June 29th at select retail accounts throughout Vermont.

https://www.LawsonsFinest.com

###

Davl22 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  2. MKozaka

MKozaka Disciple (318) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Trader

4.2% would have been better.

Davl22 and coteman6789 like this.
  3. Stormfield

Stormfield Aspirant (229) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

That's why they make Super Session.

4. MKozaka

MKozaka Disciple (318) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Trader

Haha, wow! I completely spaced on Super Session. That’s embarrassing.

Sheppard and Stormfield like this.
  5. dele

dele Initiate (112) Mar 13, 2019 Massachusetts

This session IPA trend is getting a little much. There are plenty of fantastic lower ABV choices out there that aren't essentially watered down versions of great original beers, but they are getting crowded out by the incessant stream of session IPAs. With all due respect to Lawson's, who make great beer, Every Little Sip, Light Hearted, etc. means one fewer spot in the store's cooler or on the bar's draft list for more traditional, lighter styles that are a lot more enjoyable, to my palate.

Trull likes this.
  6. BRYeleJR

BRYeleJR Disciple (347) May 18, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

This isn't close to a session beer at 6.2 percent. It's a new IPA that they announced that isn't even seeing distro outside of VT yet.

7. dele

dele Initiate (112) Mar 13, 2019 Massachusetts

ABV notwithstanding, the branding screams Session IPA - with the name of the beer and calling it "crushable." It looks like they're trying to compete in that space. I just don't want my locals to replace Scrag Mountain Pils (a phenomenal beer) or other delicious, low ABV options with this thing, and I fear that will be the result.

8. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (166) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

Not likely to see distro to MA for a while. Think your low ABV shelf space is safe.

Sheppard, Rysk22 and dele like this.
  9. Stormfield

I agree that the connotations of “crushable” suggest “session”. The language in the release, mixed with talk of taking a hike, do not match up with 6.2% ABV. This isn’t a session beer. But the press release is just a press release, not part of the branding on the can. (At least that’s what it looks like). And I don’t see how this would compete for space with any Pilsners. Pilsners compete with Pilsners, IPAs compete with IPAs. This new IPA competes more specifically with beers like Fiddlehead IPA, which just so happens to be 6.2% abv too. I’ve never seen a customer ask a store employee for a Pils recommendation only to be handed an IPA .

10. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (153) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

In today's craft landscape, sub 6.5% is crushable.

11. Stormfield

It certainly has been so. I do believe, admittedly with little evidence, that there is a at least a small push toward sub 8% ABV beers In the IPA category. Maybe that’s me projecting. Anything 7.5% ABV or above is a rare indulgence for me. I do have them, but not that much.

12. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (157) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

People describe TIPAs as "crushable."

13. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,913) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

I feel like Sierra Nevada has replaced quite a few non-IPA styles with IPAs over the years...

Today's livers still process alcohol the same way though...

14. Stormfield

Valid points both—but I see many breweries seem obligated to make a Pilsner nowadays. And Lagers of several sorts seem to be coming out all the time. I’d love to know what percentage of craft breweries’ overall beer % is lager. Small compared to Hoppy ales, but I would be interested to see.

#14 Stormfield, Jun 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    AlcahueteJ likes this.
  15. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,913) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

I feel like Pilsner at least is one of the faster growing segments of craft beer...

Paging our resident beer stat/historian... @jesskidden

Stormfield likes this.
  16. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (2,051) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

I like that this is brewed in VT, even though I think the CT brews are great.

This was the recent pilot batch bottle that was brewed at the original small system. They put a bottle in my curbside pickup (for free) when I picked up some kegs a month or so ago. I enjoyed it a lot.

17. Sheppard

Sheppard Poo-Bah (2,227) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I thought the point of Little Sip that it doesn't go as hard as Double Sunshine or Sip of Sunshine so it is more able to accommodate a lifestyle that involves hiking etc. In that context, I get the "crushable" language. It's definitely not a session as others have pointed out.

18. ajthegreat

ajthegreat Initiate (163) Nov 11, 2010 Vermont

Not Little Sip related... but the Tequilla Barrel-Aged Triple Sunshine is incredible.

Davl22 likes this.
  19. Stormfield

I’m guessing it’s a super small batch. I doubt I’ll be able to try it, but I wish I could.

20. vtcraft

vtcraft Initiate (186) Apr 1, 2013 Vermont
    Trader

Little sip is great, I’ve had a couple four packs and I find it to be better than Double sunshine

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  21. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Initiate (177) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont

Just grabbed a 4pk on Friday. Delicious. I was taking Lawson's for granted for a long while, but it does stand out in a sea of samey NEIPAs...

Davl22 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.