Lawson’s Finest Liquids Proudly Announces They Have Achieved 100% Solar Power Beer

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by riptorn, Nov 28, 2023.

1. riptorn

riptorn Maven (1,410) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

A fairly impressive feather in their cap.....

https://thefullpint.com/beer-news/l...nces-they-have-achieved-100-solar-power-beer/

MutuelsMark, Orca, JimKal and 19 others like this.
  2. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Grand Pooh-Bah (3,850) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Nicely done.

Anderson Valley Brewing in rural northern California has been advertising this feat for at least 15 years. Glad to see more folks getting on it

Orca, JimKal, Jesseix and 15 others like this.
  3. Giantspace

Giantspace Pooh-Bah (2,879) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I think Uinta is wind and solar powered. They were bought a year or two ago so not sure if they are still wind/solar.

Enjoy

Jesseix, KP7, Rug and 5 others like this.
  4. jonphisher

jonphisher Grand Pooh-Bah (3,436) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Tonewood Brewing in South Jersey...

They also recapture all their CO2 and carb their beer with it...for the beer nerds, no it is not spunding, it is captured, pressurized to liquid form and stored to later carb their beers...

Any one else have local places like this and the ones mentioned above? I'm guessing this feat has to be more and more common with newer breweries being built. Tonewood's original and much much smaller location is about 5 miles down the road and is still my favorite place on earth to enjoy a beer.

This was their new production brewery opened about 2 years ago now in an old lumberyard building.

https://www.brewbound.com/news/tonewood-brewing-opens-new-production-facility-and-tasting-room/

Orca, Jesseix, KP7 and 7 others like this.
  5. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,245) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

So I'm a little confused - the headline says 100% but the article says 60% of their utility bill? Is this differentiating between utilities for brewing vs. for operating their brewpub?

6. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Grand Pooh-Bah (3,850) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I imagine the solar only provides their energy needs. They still likely pay for gas to boil water and probably also have to pay a water/sweet bill

7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

The full(er) picture would be how much of their energy use is electric vs. other. I know that right now my personal utility bill is larger for gas than electricity.

Cheers!

KP7 and Resistance88 like this.
  8. thebeers

thebeers Grand Pooh-Bah (5,363) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I enjoyed the sustainability tour that Lawson’s did online a couple years back, I think during one of BA’s virtual beerfests during the height of COVID (although I may be remembering that incorrectly).

MutuelsMark, Rug and Resistance88 like this.
  9. DCH

DCH Pundit (955) Jun 12, 2013 New York

So it’s literally a sip of sunshine?

JLaw55, woodchipper, Jaycase and 21 others like this.
  10. Urk1127

Urk1127 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,728) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My electric bill going solar is higher than it was before the panels went up. Yes they replaced the roof new. Yes there is interest. Yes I know it’s benefits outside of the consumer saving money. But dam these solar panel companies are swift. I know this post isn’t related to lawsons. But good for them for what they are doing.

11. riptorn

riptorn Maven (1,410) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

That's what I originally thought, but after reading again I'm thinking the 495 "solar modules" on the canopy over the 40 parking spaces provide 60%, and another "43kw AC system and series of over 140 solar panels [that] produce approximately 52,000 kWh of electricity per year" provides the other 40%, and maybe more.

12. Ranbot

Ranbot Pooh-Bah (2,389) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I wonder if they have on site electricity storage or if their electric company does net metering. If they don't have one or both of those [for when the sun isn't shining] they would pay more for electricity in the evening than the day and it might account for stated difference. Or they are comparing electricity savings to all utility costs as suggested by @unlikelyspiderperson above. Either way it's a really poorly written and confusing sentence.

MutuelsMark likes this.
  13. KP7

KP7 Savant (1,101) Feb 8, 2021 Massachusetts
    Society

I'm a little late to the party but this is exactly what I was thinking. When you calculate the actual energy use in the brewing process, I would expect that vast majority to be from gas to heat the mash and wort and not electricity to power everything else. While we definitely need more businesses in general to put up solar canopies and rooftop solar, I'd love to see a brewer really go all in--electrify the entire brewing process and then install or contract for wind and solar to offset the entire energy demand. A quick Google search shows off-the-shelf all-electric solutions for homebrewers, but I didn't see anything for commercial scale.

Does anyone have a contact at Lawson's or maybe @jonphisher for Tonewood to ask if they could share the breakdown between gas and electricity usage?

14. jonphisher

jonphisher Grand Pooh-Bah (3,436) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I go there quite often and regularly talk to the bartenders are their old location. Where I could get info like that...I'm sure someone there must know but our paths I'm guessing never cross.

KP7 likes this.
  15. JayORear

JayORear Grand Pooh-Bah (3,034) Feb 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

That’s kind of a perfect joke. :clap:

MutuelsMark, Orca, cjgiant and 2 others like this.
  16. teromous

teromous Grand Pooh-Bah (3,016) Mar 21, 2010 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

That's pretty impressive to rely on 100% solar even through the winter.

MutuelsMark, bubseymour and Jesseix like this.
  17. goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio Pooh-Bah (2,018) Jul 13, 2004 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

ill bet this is news to two roads :wink:

MutuelsMark and chippo33 like this.
  18. bubseymour

bubseymour Grand Pooh-Bah (4,656) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The 100% solar in the winter seems suspect IMO being in that high of a latitude with short days and even when the sun does come out during the day in Dec/Jan, it’s at a very low angle and not overhead.

I live in Md and have a solar company come out to give me quotes. I wanted to see what it would take to be 100% off grid with solar, no reliance on the power company, and the break even return on investment was going to be 17 years. No thanks. Let me know when we can get that ROI to 7 years or less then we’ll talk again.

19. crazyspicychef

crazyspicychef Maven (1,427) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

I'm in the exact same boat on that issue. I would love to install a hybrid solar system with battery backup, but the cost even with federal incentives is just more than my wallet can hold.
    I have an electric vehicle as well, so charging that with the sun would be nice. My brew stove also runs on 220v, so running that with the sun would also help reduce the cost of a batch of beer, not to mention the lagering fridge and Keezer.
    As technology increases and solar panels and backup batteries become more energy efficient, hopefully the cost will come down, eventually.
    If they figure out a residential solid state battery backup bank, even better yet, as they are much more efficient than Li-On batteries.
    The new Toyota is supposed to get about 730 miles to a charge on a solid state battery.
    I'm all for solar powered everything, but the initial investment is steep.
    Are any breweries going wind powered?

MutuelsMark and bubseymour like this.
  20. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Kudos to that salesperson for providing honest information here.

Cheers!

MutuelsMark likes this.