Lawsons SOS available in CT in December '14?

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by PierogiSmash, Nov 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jessehurlburt

jessehurlburt Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2014 Connecticut

Wasn't psyched to pay $10 for 32 oz of beer, but I enjoy it and it's the holidays. To each his own..

2. Guzzle_McBrew

Guzzle_McBrew Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2014 Connecticut

I was not the only one paying $11 or $12 a 22 oz bomber in VT not long ago for the same beer, but not as fresh. Even $5 a can is not a bad rate, and I don't think this is as much a value concern as a business ethics issue over the stores gouging.

Plenty of delicious beers cost more than $10 for a 32 oz growler fill.

woodfinish, Pahn and JGLittle like this.
  3. PatrickKellyCT

PatrickKellyCT Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2013 Connecticut

That's what I figured, thanks. Hopefully they still have some at one of these stores around 5 when I leave the office.

4. BruinsDude325

BruinsDude325 Initiate (0) Oct 18, 2014 Connecticut

All gone at stews and ct bev mart

5. HeyHayward

HeyHayward Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2013 New York

any sightings in New Haven/Fairfield area yet?

6. tpww7

tpww7 Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2007 Connecticut

Tommorow for cans and draft in NH/Fairfield.

Beericjb likes this.
  7. Sean802

Sean802 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2013 Vermont

Not a lot on the list today, but Valley Fine Wines in Simsbury is getting a few cases today/tomorrow.

8. OrangeAmps

OrangeAmps Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2010 Massachusetts

I just so happen to be In hartford for work today. Any chance I can find some SOS anywhere? I have a car.

9. pjs234

pjs234 Devotee (461) Jun 29, 2008 Connecticut

10. MikeM417

MikeM417 Initiate (0) May 28, 2014 Connecticut

SoS cans have hit Fairfield County!!!!!!

and selling quick.

11. chewy527

chewy527 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2014 Connecticut

I believe the shop owners were sick of the nonstop calls about Sip and asked them to remove the listing. I know one store in particular was not happy about the craze that came with this beer (and supposedly opted out of distribution -- TBD if that's true or not)

12. pjs234

pjs234 Devotee (461) Jun 29, 2008 Connecticut

that's what I figured...

13. pbrian

pbrian Crusader (746) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

Do you really have to feed the frenzy?

14. Emmige1

Emmige1 Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2014 New York

Must be nice for all those shops in 2014 to be deterring business

Pahn likes this.
  15. threephase

threephase Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2013 Connecticut

Probably also since they don't have the tight control of distro like they do in VT; seems like in this state only the distributor ever knows who will end up with it.

16. Sean802

Helping those who want to know where to find some? Yes.

17. Lamnic

Lamnic Initiate (197) Mar 1, 2012 Connecticut

Isn't that the point of helping our fellow BAs?

grahuba likes this.
  18. normanburner

normanburner Initiate (47) Feb 18, 2011 Connecticut

2 can limit @ $5/can at Amity in new haven

grahuba likes this.
  19. BruinsDude325

The price gouging is insane. Just was attempted to be charged $25.85 for a 4 pack. SOS is up there with my favorite beers. But your nuts if you think I'll pay almost twice the suggested retail on it. It's not like it won't be available again ever. Hopefully this is fixed and not an issue once the initial craze dies down

grahuba likes this.
  20. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2009 Vermont
    Deactivated

Why do you all act so suprised at the pricing, there are plenty of retail shops in Vermont that get $20 for a 4 pack of Heady.

sandman3479, CTJman and grahuba like this.
  21. SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman Initiate (0) May 24, 2014 Connecticut

You have to call out that store so that we know to avoid it.

grahuba likes this.
  22. Jmr85

Jmr85 Aspirant (275) Nov 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Trader

All of these package stores that are attempting to increase the price of sos 4packs should be called out and cut off from receiving anymore. This is crazy!!! But I am not suprised

23. Sean802

And $5 singles.

24. BigStein88

BigStein88 Disciple (309) Nov 5, 2007 New Hampshire
    Trader

This, to me, is crazy. Beer is released in a 4-pack. Sell a 4-pack for $15 and be done with it.

25. BruinsDude325

Valley wines in Farmington, also owns another store in unionville called liquor square. Both were charging the same price. Needless to say i passed on them. For $25.85 I couldn't justify it

26. pbrian

pbrian Crusader (746) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

Normally I'd agree with this. But consider what happened to me last week. I was in one of my local packys shooting the shit with the owner about the SOS mania crap (his was one of those stories about how some people came in around lunch time looking for SOS. He said he didn't get it yet. They said, no, the truck's in the parking lot, can we wait? These guys he's never seen before as customers. So he didn't go to lunch, entered it into his system, and these guys each bought one can, nothing else, and left. Make up your own mind what you think of that situation)... but anyway, he says, hey I have some Ghandi bot, want some? Well, duh, sure. He comes out with a "two pack". At first I'm thinking, huh? So I said to him, Two packs, huh? And he said, yeah, when I sell them as 4 packs they're gone in a day or two, when I sell them as two packs, they last a week, and that's why you're able to get some right now. He doesn't mark them up, I think they were $6.50 (nor did he mark up the single SOS's, which he sold as two packs to customers he recognized, btw) so I left there with a different perspective of the "two pack" thing...

Pahn and lic217 like this.
  27. scotorum

scotorum Poo-Bah (2,033) May 28, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society

Whoa I did not know that! I paid $15 each for the two fourpacks I bought in Waterbury last April. Are cases more than the previously advertised $75 now at the few places that sell them?

I think the issue is that SOS was announced at around $14/4, so the places selling them for almost $26 are more than a bit over the top, in fact even more than 20% above what you say Heady frequently sells for in Vermont. And let's face it, SOS is good, but DS and TS are better, and neither of them is Heady.

28. BigStein88

Trader

Interesting situation. Seems more acceptable if you are not marking it up. Best of luck to all looking in Connecticut!

29. jamvt

jamvt Devotee (400) Aug 5, 2005 Massachusetts
    Trader

That's actually not true. How many is plenty?

30. BigStein88

Trader

And a good thing, for some of us, DS and TS are both better than Heady!

scotorum likes this.
  31. HeyHayward

HeyHayward Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2013 New York

Picked up a 4-pack in Danbury today and a guy offered me $50 in the parking lot. I politely declined and he called me a fascist, so that was fun. Have picked up a few 4 packs over the last week, $13.99 across the board in the Danbury area as far as I've seen.

teckademic, Beericjb and scotorum like this.
  32. BigStein88

Trader

Haha. But I would have sold it!

33. scotorum

Society

You know you can count me as one of those too, G. :slight_smile: I was just acknowledging that Heady is still rated a little higher by more people here than either of those Lawson's.

BigStein88 likes this.
  34. scotorum

Society

You beat me to that one - being half Scottish I could not have resisted selling two of them for $25 and feeling lucky that I left with a twopack plus $11 more than I came with (less the Ct. sales tax).

BigStein88 likes this.
  35. north7

north7 Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2014 Connecticut

CT noob here - it looks like lots of little places in Fairfield county got Sip today (along with Stout Trooper and 'Bot - same distributor).
    I popped into a little dirty place I'd never been in before next to a Dunkin Donuts I frequent, and they had it, for $23/4pk.
    Walked. F them. Hopefully the distributor will cut back on slimy shops that gouge in the future.

36. bfitzge2

bfitzge2 Aspirant (282) Jul 21, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

Has anyone ever heard one instance of a CT distributor cutting off a price-gouging shop? For all the complaining (myself very much included), I don't think I've ever heard of that happening. The gouging seems to be getting worse.

37. threephase

threephase Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2013 Connecticut

I do not believe the distributors have that ability. Consumer pricing comes down to whatever the shop wants to charge over what their wholesale price was; they are just provided an MSRP. If the shop has issues moving a specific product I do not believe the distributor will provide more. I know distributors will provide special releases and more of different types of a brand when the shop is able to move that brand more easily.

The only way really comes down to the consumer. If we don't buy at gouging shops they wont get more or they will have to re-adjust their prices.

Beericjb likes this.
  38. thatbentleyguy

thatbentleyguy Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2012 Massachusetts

SOS - not a compelling enough reason to go out of the way to CT and run around all headless-chicken like. Other LF sure I'd consider it. For now I'll stay home and drink some Jack's Abby.

39. Beericjb

Beericjb Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2012 Connecticut

The price issue is really the fault of the liquor stores. They know the price they pay and the suggested retail price of $13.99 a 4pk. Only thing the distributor can do is ask them to lower the price or not send them the product again (kinda iffy territory I think). The best thing consumers can do is refuse to pay high prices for this stuff, and let the shop owners know that we all know they are gouging and then take your business elsewhere.

40. beanoboy7

beanoboy7 Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2014 Connecticut

my aunt owns a package store. The state regulates the prices. File a report with the Liquor Commission.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.