Lazy Dog Taps Golden Road Brewing for New Collab Brews

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Jason, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Jason

Jason Founder Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Site Editor Fest Crew Subscriber

Los Angeles, CA (November 2013) – Lazy Dog Restaurant & Bar, a SoCal born and bred leader in the upscale casual dining space, is refreshing their craft beer program with some local flavor, teaming up with Golden Road Brewing for the launch of three new brews this fall. Lazy Dog Founder Chris Simms and Executive Chef Gabe Caliendo, an avid home brewer, worked closely with the pioneering brewery to develop unique beers specifically for the palates of their guests. While Golden Road has created special limited-time collaboration offerings in the past, this is the first time the two-year-old craft brewery has worked with a restaurant group to draft beers for an ongoing release.

"Since our founding in 2003, craft beer has been a central part of our beverage program at Lazy Dog - I met our Executive Chef Gabe Caliendo over a beer he brewed at home, and early on we decided that we wanted to bring that serious beer culture to our restaurants," Says Chris Simms. "Collaborating with Golden Road, a state of the art craft brewery, allows us to build upon that foundation, while also staying true to our beer-roots."

Joining Lazy Dog's extensive roster of beers on tap and by the bottle, are a collaboration IPA, Pale Ale and Hefeweizen, each brewed with home-town hero Golden Road to satisfy the specific tastes of Lazy Dog's beer lovin' clientele. The Lazy Dog Pale Ale offers full malty flavor balanced with medium hops, while the fuller-bodied Lazy Dog IPA demonstrates a floral hop aroma and features Warrior, Palisade, Cascade, Opal, Zythos and Simcoe hop varietals. The Lazy Dog Hefe, an unfiltered Bavarian-style Hefeweizen with notes of light banana and clove esters, completes the trio and showcases German Tradition, Cascade and Northern Brewer hops.

The beers will be available at all twelve Lazy Dog locations in Southern California starting November 7th, and will be on draft at their first Northern California restaurant in Concord when it opens on November 14th. Golden Road's Kölsch will also be on tap at each outpost to round out the offerings with a crisp, traditional German-style ale featuring Opal hops and citrus notes.

Chris' brother, Mike Simms, will also be pouring collaboration brews at both outposts of beach-side craft beer haven Simmzy's (Manhattan Beach and Long Beach), and Tin Roof Bistro in Manhattan Beach.

ABOUT LAZY DOG RESTAURANT & BAR
    Inspired by the lifestyle of the Rocky Mountains, where founder Chris Simms spent many family vacations, Lazy Dog offers the perfect environment for a quick week-night dinner, a meandering meal with old friends or a big night out. The first Lazy Dog restaurant opened in the Huntington Beach area in 2003 and showcased an eclectic menu of memorable family favorites reinterpreted with bold new flavors and served with small-town hospitality. Open for lunch and dinner daily with a full bar program that includes unique and approachable specialty cocktails, a wide selection of craft beers, and Lazy Dog’s own hand-crafted beer selection, Lazy Dog is also a perfect happy hour or game day destination. Lazy Dog currently has twelve locations throughout Southern California with their first location opening in Northern California this November. For more information visit www.lazydogrestaurants.com.

ABOUT GOLDEN ROAD BREWING
    Golden Road Brewing was founded in October 2011 by Tony Yanow and Meg Gill, who are committed to bringing fresh beer to market in the most sustainable way possible. Golden Road Brewing is the maker of Los Angeles’ first canned craft beer, offering 16 ounce 'honest pint' cans of their flagship Golden Road Hefeweizen and Point the Way IPA, which is now also available in convenient 12 ounce 12-packs. Golden Road currently produces over twenty beers which include a Custom IPA series and limited seasonal releases. Golden Road Brewing and The Pub at Golden Road Brewing are located at 5410 W. San Fernando Road, Los Angeles, CA 90039. For more information, please visit www.goldenroad.la.

###

2. Whatdyisit

Whatdyisit Nov 24, 2010 California

Collaborating? How is this different from contract brewing? And weren't they contracting Firestone to brew their house brews previous to this?

3. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Mar 23, 2008 California

Sounds like Lazy Dog will be involved in the creative process of developing the beer, similar to how Evil Twin and Mikkeller operate, it's still contract brewing though.

I believe FW did contract the Lazy Dog line, but about a month ago FW said they were gonna be phasing out contract brewing.

4. BeerBaron666

BeerBaron666 May 13, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

awesome news!

5. Domina

Domina Aug 6, 2008 California

I'm a big fan of Golden Road and LDC, but this is a lateral move. Firestone has brewed their Bavarian Hef, Pale Ale, and IPA for a while now and they are all good. The Bavarian Hef in particular stands out for me.

LDC is simply changing who is doing their contract brewing, and if you have to pick a new brewery, Golden Road is a great choice. I'm looking forward to trying the new brews - we'll see how they compare to the previous versions from FW.

Cached LDC brews - http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...com/menu/draft-beer+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Live website - http://www.lazydogrestaurants.com/menu/draft-beer

6. walterfredo

walterfredo Nov 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Why all the posts about golden road? Am I missing something?

7. manny90

manny90 Feb 7, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

They're really good about making a press release for everything, more focus should be on the beer.

FrogOut69, blguillen and kotayk like this.
  8. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Jan 7, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Here's an interesting press release not getting too much attention...

https://www.facebook.com/GoldenrodBrewingCompany/posts/217540375082616

Golden Road taps Omaha, Nebraska start up brewery, Goldenrod Brewing, with a C&D. because hey, why not?

9. mrcraft

mrcraft Dec 15, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I hate to hear this kind of stuff. They're not even in the same market and while the names only differ by one letter and a space, they have two completely different meaning that's not easy to confuse. Who in Nebraska is going to hear or care about Golden Road when even beer aficionados in Los Angeles aren't excited about their products. I went to SeekABrew to see if Golden Road distributes outside California. Guess what? Golden Road isn't even listed in SeekABrew! Golden Road should drop this nonsense. This is so against the spirit of what craft beers are about. I didn't like them much, like them a lot less now.

#9 mrcraft, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
    BrettHead and MiScusi like this.
  10. TheCrowsNest

TheCrowsNest Mar 26, 2010 California

Golden Road, I'm done with you.

BrettHead and JayORear like this.
  11. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

12. tjensen3618

It was good that they did it months before Goldenrod even opened.

Golden Road has aspirations to become a large regional brewery, they'll likely target midwestern states at some point if all goes well.

edit: rereading all the responses, the names are confusing as hell to read, admit it.

albertq17 likes this.
  13. Earlycsquid

Beer Trader

Sorry, but they're vastly different despite sounding similar. One is a road paved with gold. The other is a flower you may very well find on the side of that path.

Hell, it's the state's flower that the brewery is in. I thought Golden Road was focused on keeping it local and all that nonsense. I guess once they expanded out out S.F. and S.D., they got their eyes on the nationwide market. Though the amount of Point the Way that is still sitting at most Whole Foods, I guess they could supply a national push...

I wonder when Left Coast and Lost Coast will fire a C&D letter to each other.

blguillen likes this.
  14. tjensen3618

Ahhh, I see, they're totally different items.

My plans to open Gooch Island brewing shall commence!

UnknownKoger and albertq17 like this.
  15. Earlycsquid

Beer Trader

Again, when will Left Coast and Lost Coast settle this out in a physical altercation of fisticuffs.

16. BrettHead

BrettHead Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

Lol, I hope they come to Nebraska so I can laugh as they fall on their faces and then have to pull out.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe