Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Lazy man's KBS

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BrewStew58, Feb 25, 2013.

1. thebigredone

Beer Trader

All those folks suggesting just a swirl of bourbon in the glass must have a more talented palate than mine. I added some Maker's Mark to my glass of Narwhal a couple weeks back, and it took at least half a shot or more before I noticed any real bourbon taste. Still not even close to a substitute for barrel aging.

2. pnutbutr

Beer Trader

I've tried this many times with 1+ year old breakfast stout. Tastes interesting, but nothing like KBS. Maybe I should add some old coffee and bourbon soaked toothpicks?

3. imbrue001

It may be a fake barrel aged beer, but at 7.99 I ain't complaining. I think its a nice every day alternative.

4. ThirstyFace

You'll be hard pressed to find a review that suggests that WR is average.

Tours are touristy. It's what's in the bottle that matters to 99.9% of bourbon drinkers. You're the odd girl out

5. fiver29

Beer Trader

I don't condone this practice. It does seem to work somewhat. Was done by a local and I won't say more than that.

Pour your beer in a glass. Take a spray bottle and spray 4-6 sprays on top of your beer. The dispersion and weight of the liquor will permeate the drink from top to bottom.

6. cjoc83

Beer Trader

I dunno, I thought it was awful. Well maybe not awful, but certainly below average. It's so thin and over-carbonated. All the flavor was so faint, it barely even tasted like a stout to me. But to each their own. Cheers.

7. nachos

Beer Trader

Go visit Buffalo Trace and tell me it is touristy. No matter the reviews, I stand by my evaluation of Woodford, I am sorry your feelings have been hurt :(

screamking likes this.
  8. ThirstyFace

I don't visit whiskey, I drink it. WF is better than BT. If you disagree, then you really have your pants in your mouth

9. nachos

Beer Trader

aww, you're so cute when you're mad ;)

10. Imacopyouidiot

Beer Trader

11. incubuscience

Grab a Bell's Expedition with a sidecar of Buffalo Trace; Pappy if you can find it, or Templeton Rye. It's not the same, but it's pretty damn delicious.

12. blivingston1985

Ahh, I see. I personally love a well managed barrel program. I have had plenty of ales that just didn't have any balance due to the barrel influence, but that doesn't mean barrels are mediocre or overrated. These brews maybe weren't fit for oak(or whatever wood) or maybe the brew just wasn't good to begin with? Wood is just another spice in a brewers spice rack. And not every spice is right in every dish, ya dig? Plus wood aging can bring a wonderful richness or really nice, supple tannin or both to when used on the right beer.

13. sukwonee

Beer Trader

I know Peche Mortel isn't barrel aged, but I think it's quite comparable to KBS. Probably costs about the same though.

14. sukwonee

Beer Trader

Yep - it's the bit of bourbon left in the glass and in your mouth, giving you the right amount of bourbon kick. 1/2 oz of bourbon mixed into a 12 ounce beer is too much (I learned this through an experiment as well).

15. nharres

Beer Trader

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. Peruvian Morning is not nearly as thick as KBS, but in my opinion the coffee really adds complexity to an otherwise thin and unbalanced BBS. To each his own I guess...

16. VonZipper

Beer Trader

Some of you are basically just making a really expensive boilermaker. There is no substitute for the time aged on the bourbon infused wood.

17. screamking

Beer Trader

http://sourmashmanifesto.com/category/reviewsratings/woodford-reserve-reviewsratings/
    This guy knows bourbon, gives BT and WF 8.5. BT is $10 cheaper so... Woodford is everywhere so people see it more. I think it's more of a perception than quality. People go from Jim beam to woodford at Applebee's and think its the best thing since sliced bread.

nachos likes this.
  18. Hermthegerm

BA beer is something fantastic which takes time to happen and I think there is no way duplicate it in 10 seconds.

That being said, I have tried swirling knob creek around the inside of a glass and pouring in different quality stouts. I enjoyed the taste with FBS but I'm not sure I would do it regularly.

VonZipper likes this.
  19. ThirstyFace

So an 8.5 is mediocre? I would think that surpasses the standard deviation.

What you know of Applebee's is a testament to your taste.

20. ao125

On a similar note, I have toasted oak cubes that I cycle back and forth between bourbon and maple syrup every 4 months. The syrup ends up going on my pancakes (damn, it's good) and the bourbon I either drink neat, or I put a tablespoon of it into regular Dirty Bastard to make my own home version of Backwoods Bastard, that I can drink any time of year. (yes, I know the thread is about kbs)

A whole shot to me would be kinda overkill. I may as well just drink the bourbon on its own then.

21. screamking

Beer Trader

New holland dragon milk is a very solid barrel aged stout that is available all year long and only 15.99 a four pack. I don't know how it compares to kbs but if you can get it, it is worth a try.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe