Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

leaking faucets (Perlick ); need cleaning procedure

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by GeeL, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeeL

GeeL Aug 27, 2008 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Hi. Two months ago I lost a full home brew keg due to a leaky faucet. Today about 1/4 keg of home brew leaked out from a different faucet. Each time was from a slow drip, so when we thought it wasn't dripping and walked away, it was actually dripping. The faucets are Perlick, the model is the kind with the "push back" feature for foam.

Here's my cleaning routine: I was told to run cleanser (PBW, B-brite, etc) through them for a minute when I change the keg. I think I've taken them apart once since I got them 2 yrs ago. After I run cleanser, I follow it with clean water (or beer). I just did this not even 2 months ago and they're dripping again.

Any thoughts? They're expensive and I don't want to replace them. I'm guessing I need to modify my cleaning routine. Or, are there gaskets in there that wear out? I'd appreciate thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks.

2. DougC123

DougC123 Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut
    Subscriber

I take mine apart every time I clean. I think you have already answered your question, but maybe just wanted someone else to corroborate it. You need to take them down and clean them good with a brush. There are o rings inside of them, and you'll get to see them once you disassemble. I'm betting there is quite a bit of gunk in there after some portion of 2 years.

mikehartigan likes this.
  3. PortLargo

PortLargo Oct 19, 2012 Florida

Your faucets are clean, but leaky. Go to Google Images and search for "perlick faucet diagram" and you will see an exploded view of everything inside your faucet. As DougC says, the most likely culprit is a bad o-ring. Then search Google for "perlick replacement parts" and you see what you need to rebuild the faucet. The most foolproof method is to replace all the o-rings/gaskets . . . cost is minimal and you should get another ~2 years of good pours.

If you buy twice as many replacement parts as you need there will be less aggravation in the long run. Oh yeah, you can then officially claim the title of "Faucet Repairman".

inchrisin likes this.
  4. DougC123

Subscriber

You are kind, I would say they are far from clean with a swish of cleaner every two months and no disassembly. In addition to not dripping the beer will likely taste better after a good cleaning too.

PortLargo likes this.
  5. ravensjeff

ravensjeff Sep 27, 2013 Maryland

I was getting O-rings for my regular faucet and the store showed me where the Perlick unit had 2 O-rings, vs. 4 fo what I had. I run very hot water over parts, scrub, then saturate parts in 70% Isopropyl alcohol for at least 30 minutes.

6. DougC123

Subscriber

You should really be using BLC, it is designed to take care of beer residue and stone. Hot water and IPA are not. The IPA will probably deteriorate your o-rings also. To get pro results, do what the pros do, which is BLC.

PortLargo likes this.
  7. VikeMan

VikeMan Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

How much pressure (PSI) is the keg under when you have these slow drips? People have been known to dial back the pressure to fill a bottle (or whatever) and forget to crank it back up again. Your faucets are more likely to leak under low pressure than high.

GeeL likes this.
  8. GeeL

GeeL Aug 27, 2008 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I did not know that. They're probably under low pressure when it happened. Thanks for the idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe