Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Belgium Legal situation of growlers in NL?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by yester, May 26, 2013.

1. yester

Does anybody know about this?
    Is it legal to sell/refill growlers/ I remember Christoffel used 2liter growlers but I have no idea if they actually did refills. What is the legal situation?

Vaguely remember there was some issue with whiskeys from barrels.
    Thanks

2. Brabander

There is no legal situation. When the wort is boiled the brewer pays his taxes and after that he can do whatever he wants with this beer....As far as i know there are none brewers who fill growlers for customers...

Thijs

3. Bierman9

Beer Trader

None? Well, they should change that right away!!! A huge, new stream of revenue awaits them, plus more fresh bier for customers!!!

Prosit!!

4. yester

I'd be surprised but sounds good.
    In a country like good'ol netherlands where everything is regulated I can certainly see some health care regulation concerning refillable containers.

5. Vanlingleipa

Beer Trader

How different from the Czech Repubic, where people walk down to their neighborhood pubs nightly to fill ceramic pitchers full of fresh pivo goodness to drink with dinner.

Bierman9 likes this.
  6. patto1ro

Subscriber

There is a legal problem with filling growlers in pubs, at least in Amsterdam. All but a handful of pubs only have on-licences, meaning it's illegal for them to sell alcohol to be consumed elsewhere.

7. yester

Do you know what licence is needed?
    Slijterij vergunning (or is that only for strong spirits?) like good old Andre Lacroix on Overtoom?

Greatly!
    yester

8. patto1ro

Subscriber

Yes, they need a slijterij vergunning. It's for any alcohol to be consumed off the premises.

That Overtoom place is one (it just didn't make my pub guide, why I can't quite remember now). As are these: Hoppe on Spui and Oosterling and Utrechtsestraat.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe