Release Leinenkugel's Celebrates 150th Anniversary By Brewing Collaboration Beer With Hofbräu München

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by steveh, Mar 15, 2017.

1. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (1,904) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

Yeah, much as I don't trust Leinie and German beer styles after that Dunkel Debacle®, with the HB collab I'll be giving this one a chance.

Official Press Release:

Brewer's Milestone Will Also Be Commemorated with New Packaging, Year-Long Celebration

CHIPPEWA FALLS, Wis., March 15, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- The Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company is creating a limited-edition Leinenkugel's Anniversary Lager with Munich-based Hofbräu München to celebrate its 150th anniversary this year. The collaboration brew is one part of a year-long celebration that includes new packaging, a slate of summer programs and a party in Chippewa Falls for the Wisconsin-based brewery.

Set to arrive on draft at select bars in April and available in six-packs in June, Leinenkugel's Anniversary Lager incorporates American hops and some German malt. Further, the Mӓrzen-style lager is brewed in the spirit of Reinheitsgebot, the German Beer Purity Law dating back to the 1500s that regulated what was allowed to go into beer, to commemorate Leinenkugel's brewing heritage while looking toward its future. Leinenkugel's Anniversary Lager will be brewed in Chippewa Falls, with a limited amount of draft being brewed in Germany.

https://vimeo.com/johnroachprojects/review/205470487/9906d1e2ec

"As we discussed how to celebrate this incredible milestone for our brewery, we wanted to ensure whatever we did was truly genuine and in the spirit of what we've been doing for a century and a half," said Dick Leinenkugel, president of the Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company. "Partnering with Hofbräu München was a natural fit because of the similarities between our two breweries - German brewing history, innovation and a commitment to providing fans with the best beer possible."

Drinkers able to get ahold of the collaboration brew will notice a subtle, toasty sweetness upfront as a result of the malt character with tropical notes from added Mosaic hops. Leinenkugel's Anniversary Lager comes in at 5.4 percent ABV and 25 IBUs.

"Leinenkugel's envisioned a beer that honored its storied history, so that is exactly what we've helped create with the Leinenkugel's Anniversary Lager," said Dr. Michael Möller, director of Hofbräu München. "The beer has more than 550 years of combined experience behind it, is brewed in the spirit of Reinheitsgebot and has equal influence from their innovative flavors and our tried-and-trued traditions. We like to think of this as a 'cheers' that crosses the Atlantic."

Before the collaboration brew is officially available nationwide, Leinenkugel's will introduce new packaging for its entire portfolio for the first time in 10 years. The new look highlights Leinenkugel's proud family name and brings the signature outdoorsy feel and an eye-catching color to the forefront. The new packaging will be seen as the brewery's flagship Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy hits shelves in March and will ramp up as more beers arrive throughout the year.

Along with several initiatives currently being planned across the country, the celebration will culminate with an official anniversary party at the Northern Wisconsin State Fairgrounds in Chippewa Falls the weekend of August 11. Leinenkugel's fans of legal drinking age are invited to join the family as they toast their milestone moment.

"The celebration will begin with our biggest collaboration brew in history and a complete packaging refresh across our entire portfolio, but we have a lot more on the way and recognize a proper cheers with our fans is the only way to cap it off," said Leinenkugel. "For those unable to make it to the official celebration in August, thank you for your continued support of our family's beers."

To learn more about Leinenkugel's and upcoming events, the Leinenkugel's Anniversary Lager and new packaging, please visit Facebook.com/Leinenkugels or follow the brewery on Instagram and Twitter via @Leinenkugels and #Leinie150th.

About MillerCoors:
    Through its diverse collection of storied breweries, MillerCoors brings American beer drinkers an unmatched selection of the highest quality beers, flavored malt beverages and ciders, steeped in centuries of brewing heritage. Miller Brewing Company and Coors Brewing Company brew national favorites such as Miller Lite, Miller High Life, Coors Light and Coors Banquet. MillerCoors also proudly offers beers such as Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from sixth-generation Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company, and Blue Moon Belgian White from modern craft pioneer Blue Moon Brewing Company, founded in 1995. Beyond beer, MillerCoors operates Crispin Cider Company, an artisanal maker of pear and apple ciders using fresh-pressed American juice, and offers pioneering brands such as the Redd's franchise, Smith & Forge Hard Cider and Henry's Hard Sodas. Tenth and Blake Beer Company, our craft and import division, is the home to craft brewers Hop Valley Brewing, Revolver Brewing, Saint Archer Brewing Company and the Terrapin Beer Company. Tenth and Blake also imports world-renowned beers such as Italy's Peroni Nastro Azzurro, the Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell and the Netherlands' Grolsch. MillerCoors, the U.S. business unit of the Molson Coors Brewing Company, has an uncompromising dedication to quality, a keen focus on innovation and a deep commitment to sustainability. Learn more at MillerCoors.com, at facebook.com/MillerCoors or on Twitter at @MillerCoors.

###

GrumpyGas, StoutElk_92 and maximum12 like this.
  2. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (1,589) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Supporter

Agreed. If HB is on board, so am I.

#2 Tripel_Threat, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Disciple (300) May 5, 2015 Illinois

Any idea if that will be a
    Leinenkugel or carry the the "Big Eddy" label?

4. steveh

Just based on the bottle image in the story (need to look it up, my OP was edited for, what looks like, copyright purposes), no.

FWIW -- the bottle is shown at 1:44 into the video that's still a part of my OP -- no Big Eddy tag on the label.

5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,975) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

“Drinkers able to get ahold of the collaboration brew will notice a subtle, toasty sweetness upfront as a result of the malt character with tropical notes from added Mosaic hops. Leinenkugel's Anniversary Lager comes in at 5.4 percent ABV and 25 IBUs.”

But:

“While the amber-colored beer, which boasts a bit of a peppery-spicy kick, has a few modern finishes, it closely adheres to Reinheitsgebot, a brewing law dating back to the 1500s that dictates what can and cannot go into a beer (hint: no pumpkin flavoring).

http://www.maxim.com/entertainment/leinenkugel-150th-anniversary-2017-3

So, which is it? Tropical or peppery-spicy? Maybe both?:confused:

Cheers!

LuskusDelph and AlcahueteJ like this.
  6. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (1,589) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Supporter

Broncoberry Sauce: The Beer.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  7. JackHorzempa

Supporter

I had to Google Bronco Berry Sauce since I was unfamiliar with it.

I suppose it is only a matter of time before come craft brewery uses Bronco Berry Sauce to brew a beer.

Cheers!

P.S. Let me set my timer until some BA replies with a post like Brewery X has already brewed with Bronco Berry Sauce and provides a link to the BA reviews of this beer.:wink:

zid and Tripel_Threat like this.
  8. tzieser

tzieser Champion (808) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey

This is the first Leinenkugel beer I'm looking forward to.

StoutElk_92 and steveh like this.
  9. dcotom

dcotom Meyvn (1,276) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I'll give this a try. What could possibly go wrong? :slight_smile:

GrumpyGas likes this.
  10. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Defender (650) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I am pretty surprised HB would be on board with anything Leinenkugel does, and I'm even more surprised that they would be into using Mosaic hops in what seems to be a traditional German lager otherwise.

11. steveh

Well, the Mosaic hop use remains to be seen with the conflicting info, but the HB reps in the video look pretty enthused.

FBarber likes this.
  12. JackHorzempa

Supporter

Have you been following the craft beer movement in Germany?

Cheers!

LuskusDelph and woodychandler like this.
  13. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Meyvn (1,489) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

A Märzen-style lager with Mosaic hops? I would actually like to try this.

woodychandler likes this.
  14. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Defender (650) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I have not. I know that it's really up-and-coming, but I haven't been following closely enough to make any determination one way or the other. I'm sure they're embracing the new hops (and the newer German hops like Mandarina Bavaria, Tettang Mandarina, and Saphir all are testaments to that), but I certainly hope the tentative embracing of an American-style craft movement will not leave the traditions and classic styles behind in the dust.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  15. colts9016

colts9016 Poo-Bah (1,613) Jul 2, 2007 Idaho
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I will try this beer, but Lienie really has not produce any thing stellar.

16. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Savant (982) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

Which dunkel? I'm drinking the Bavarian Dunkel Dark Lager and it might be the tastiest dunkel to pass my lips.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  17. steveh

How many true Dunkels have you tasted? How many true Dunkels have you tasted brewed with fruit juice (I'd venture to say none).

You may think it's the best beer you've ever tasted, and that's all well and good, but the Leinie's "Bavarian Style Dark Lager" is no Munich Dunkel. Try it next to a fresh Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel and tell us what you think.

@BigJim5021 -- Thoughts?

#17 steveh, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    AlcahueteJ likes this.
  18. JackHorzempa

Supporter

The US craft beer movement has been ongoing for many decades and yet the majority of beer consumed in the US is the traditional style (i.e., AAL beers). I do not see why Germany would be different in this regard.

Cheers!

woodychandler likes this.
  19. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,012) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Industry Beer Trader

Many people have reported that so-called "craft" enthusiasts in Germany seem to have very little interest in traditional or classic styles...and instead seem primarily interested in American "craft" styles. With younger generations opting for such things, it stands to reason that traditional styles may suffer.

AlcahueteJ and THANAT0PSIS like this.
  20. Redrover

Redrover Poo-Bah (3,000) Jan 18, 2003 Illinois
    Subscriber

I'm looking forward to this one.

Leines can be hit (the IPL) or miss (numerous) but I've got a soft spot for them ever since they came out with their Autumn Lager ages ago.

21. Redrover

Subscriber

I bought a 6 pack of this one and will be buying at least another. I think it is a solid beer with a nice malt base and just enough of a twist from the hops.

22. ivegot3Dvision

ivegot3Dvision Devotee (472) Feb 9, 2015 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Their Big Eddy Uber Oktoberfest was a home run for me.

Redrover likes this.
  23. steveh

Where'd you find it? The Leinie's web site says bottles aren't due on shelves until next month.

24. Redrover

Subscriber

I bought it in Montello, Wi at the IGA. They had a end cap display with the summer shandy 12 packs and this beer. I believe I paid $7.99 for the sixer.

steveh likes this.
  25. steveh

Used Leinie's beer finder and found it not terribly far in Fox Lake (IL) at the Jewel-Osco -- same price. They had a boatload, for anyone in the area who's interested, but you have to look around -- it's on a big, separate wall with other Leinie's offerings, not on the regular shelves or in the regular cooler.

Kind'a fun seeing the HB logo on the six-pack. Quality remains to be seen for now...

26. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Defender (631) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Hmm, I'll probably give this a whirl.

I'm curious if they actually did use Mosaic hops. I don't have a problem using non-traditional hops in this beer, but a solid Oktoberfest has the hops taking a backseat in my opinion. It's not that I'm worried it would be too hoppy, simply that this style is an odd choice to throw in a "hop twist".

It could end up complimenting it well though...we'll see. I also would have thought they'd brew a pale Oktoberfest, similar to Hofbrau's seasonal. Not only because that's what Hofbrau's Oktoberfest is, I feel a "fruitier" hop would work better with a pale Oktoberfest than an amber one. Although in that video it's admittedly a light amber color, but still, no way near what Hofbrau's typical Oktoberfest looks like.

27. steveh

There are a couple scenes where they're holding glasses of beer that looks like HB's Okto, but who knows which beers are which? I'll make an assessment when I pour one of mine.

28. steveh

It's more deep gold than amber -- closer to Ayinger's Okto than Spaten's, but yes -- far from HB's.

For what it's worth, Leinie's may be calling this a Märzen, but I'm finding it closer to a Vienna -- which isn't at all bad. It's a pretty smooth, very quaffable beer that doesn't get too harsh from graininess like I find with a lot of Leinie beers. I think this will be a nice grill-side beer for the summer.

#28 steveh, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
    Redrover and herrburgess like this.
  29. steveh

From my assessment, there isn't a lot of hop character in the aroma -- if at all.* A light citrus flavor becomes apparent near the finish with some warming -- and isn't traditional to a Märzen or Vienna, but it's not at all distracting or overwhelming.

To me, the hop flavor is more herbal and spicy than fruity or pine.

*Minor edit -- there is a mild fruitiness in the aroma with warming, but it's difficult to tell if it's from hops or a fermentation byproduct (reminds me of some home-brews). Nonetheless, it doesn't distract from overall enjoyment of the beer.

#29 steveh, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
    Redrover, AlcahueteJ and herrburgess like this.
  30. LuskusDelph

LuskusDelph Aspirant (276) May 1, 2008 New Jersey

If you truly deel that way, then you simply have a VERY jaded palate!

31. SSGCujo

SSGCujo Aspirant (251) Jul 12, 2016 Wisconsin

I had the 150th beer on tap and it was very good. Much better than the regular Leinies' beers. It wasn't as malt driven as a Octoberfest beer. Very easy to drink, which could be dangerous.

steveh likes this.
  32. dj420

dj420 Initiate (122) Aug 9, 2007 Minnesota

Bought a sixer yesterday; not bad, will buy again.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.