Lengths you've gone to, to access craft beer.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BILF, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2009 Washington

Ive smuggled duvel and leffe ( yes i know not the best, still better than bud) into many places in the past.

2. EddieGold

EddieGold Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2012 North Carolina

one time i shoved a growler up my ass so i could drink well on a flight from jfk to rome.

Stormfield and kansascitytrader like this.
  3. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Initiate (0) May 10, 2012 Illinois

Isn't charlie trotters closed?

4. JackieAnton

JackieAnton Aspirant (252) Sep 22, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Hate to tell you but Charlie Trotter's closed this August. I know because I live a block away. Goose Island's a ten minute walk away from me too.

5. xxbillay

xxbillay Initiate (0) May 31, 2012 New Jersey

Not that I can't get good stuff at home, my local store has a wonderful selection and great staff. I get my growler filled ones a week generally and just picked up two 4 packs of allagash black and founders imperial stout. The only problem is buying cases generally is not a good value.

I live in NJ but went to college in south central PA and found a great case store there where I got all of my hard to find stuff. To this day I still make the 2 hour drive to pick up cases that I reserve. Recently for mad elf, DFH punkin, and will be going shortly for my 2 cases of nugget nectar and case of hop slam.

6. SStein

SStein Zealot (509) Dec 26, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

In hopes of getting the best Euro whalez I joined the Army hoping to get sent overseas. Then I got sent to Iraq twice, and Afghanistan once all in the chance I could get sent to Belgium. When I finally got to Belgium for my 3 year stint to find out that Cantillon and Drie Founteinen aren't just flowing in the streets. I thought my tap water would be Westvleteren XII, and that Blabaer would be on the shelves at the corner store.

7. BILF

BILF Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2010 Israel

You forgot to mention all the take away bottles i bought you.

Overlord likes this.
  8. BILF

BILF Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2010 Israel

Overlord tour guide. Now i understand why it was you and not me that got given the free cap and six pack.

Overlord likes this.
  9. Brunite

Brunite Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2009 Illinois

10. loafinaround

loafinaround Aspirant (296) Jul 16, 2011 New York

:( And he doesn't even have any open restaurants elsewhere. Sadness.

11. IcemanCometh

IcemanCometh Aspirant (290) Sep 6, 2012 Massachusetts

Speaking of Whales...

12. johncosta60

johncosta60 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2012 New Jersey

I flew out from Jersey to California, so I can attend the stone vertical epic party. Then I spent the rest of the trip doing nothing, but visiting breweries. Hit up about 15 breweries in 3 days, and shipped back about 6 cases of beer. Best trip so far.

13. Bond111

Bond111 Aspirant (227) Feb 14, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I used to drive an hour when I lived in Iowa, just to get any decent craft beer. That was on an almost every week-2 week basis. I would also drive a bit further to Des Moines metro & the burbs to check out other shops. Thankfully now that I live in Rochester, MN really good beer is mostly a 5 min drive. Only and hour and 20 mins from Twin Cities, and an hour+15 from Decorah to Toppling Goliath.

So all in all, nothing too crazy like some of you guys!! Cheers to doing whatever it takes to drink great craft beer!

14. jfh

jfh Aspirant (286) Apr 25, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

we travel with a cooler filled with beer to trade and then bring home filled with new beers. We're lucky in that I can drive to Russian River and stock up on Pliny in bottles for tips and treats. Over New Years, I gave 7 bottles out on 12/30 that were dated 12/27. Got a couple bottles in trade in return, plus free rounds at bars. (PS> fly Southwest, no bag fees.)

15. HenrikO

HenrikO Initiate (0) Jun 19, 2011 Sweden

I never smuggled beer into concerts and the like. I am completely ruthless about getting friends, acquaintances and relatives to get craft beer for me, though.

I contacted three friends whom I hadn't seen in 10+ years to ask them if they could pop over from Malmö (Sweden) to Copenhagen to buy some Blåbaer for me. Two of them actually did it.

I persuaded/cajoled a friend in Brussels to drive for an hour and a half to Esen to pick up two cases of Stille Nacht Reserva for me and then ship them to me.

I've persuaded my sister-in-law in NY to regularly send NY-area beers (Sixpoint, Southampton) to me in Sweden.

It doesn't always work though. I asked my brother-in-law to bring some cool Southern California beers for me when he was visiting. He got me a bomber of Fat Tire. You win some, you lose some.

16. azorie

azorie Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

got on airplane to Belgium!

Overlord likes this.
  17. fhyden

fhyden Initiate (174) Sep 4, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

I lived in South Korea for a while, and it was brutal there -- their adjunct lagers are worse than ours. Aside from the occasional trips to Tokyo (I'd bring a full suitcase of beer each time I went), I lived on $24 six-packs of Sam Adams and spent hours and hours scouring the gray markets for Shiner (Kosmos, if I was lucky) and Baltika.

Luckily, there were a few of us miserable beer geeks over there, and we banded together. One guy lived on base, and he pulled some strings one day to get us in to do a "tasting" at the bar on base (bringing us through security one person at a time). He'd had a couple things shipped that were delicious, but the real jackpot was being able to convince the bartender to sell me to-go bottles. I walked out with as much Anchor Steam as I could carry, well worth it at ~$3.50 per bottle.

Another time, I was staying in Busan and got to talking beer with the guy who ran the hostel. Somehow, he knew about a boat in harbor on it's way to Japan full of stuff from Wells and brought me in on his scheme to obtain some. Game, I followed him down to the docks where he proceeded to find the boat and bribe a guy to sell us a couple cases of Bombardier Bitter each off the boat; it was beautiful. That was probably my happiest moment in South Korea.

CwrwAmByth, BILF and airforbes1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.