Lexington Stuff

Discussion in 'US - South' started by drfabulous, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drfabulous

drfabulous Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2005 Kentucky

Also picked up a bottle today of Hill Farmstead/Blaugies collaboration La Vermontoise. Shelton is making life so good here for beer drinkers.

2. drfabulous

The new Founders Backstage hit today.

3. johnking82

johnking82 Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2010 Kentucky

I had a sample. I'll pass.

4. drfabulous

It's like the Seinfeld with the sub punch card. I've come along this far with Backstage, I can't stop now.

KYGunner and TheBeerAlmanac like this.
  5. KYGunner

KYGunner Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2012 Kentucky

Any mention of Seinfeld and you get "liked."

TheBeerAlmanac likes this.
  6. TheBeerAlmanac

TheBeerAlmanac Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2011 Kentucky

Any mention of liking Seinfeld and you get "liked."

7. drfabulous

I see all the new Stones hit town today: 17 Anniversary, Coconut IPA, and Enjoy By. A nice Dark Horse pale - On the Road - is also on tap at Trappe. And I saw Cantillon bottles in the cooler at Trappe.....on site drinking, I believe. Tyler's Dark Saison is on at West Sixth right now. Tasty and funky. As he describes it on Facebook: "My madeira oak aged dark saison that sat on Zante currants for a few months is on at West Sixth today. 10% abv, tart, and funky."

8. TheBeerAlmanac

Which Cantillon?

9. BEERchitect

BEERchitect Poo-Bah (13,168) Feb 9, 2005 Kentucky
    Society

St. Lamvinus and Vigneronne.

10. TheBeerAlmanac

My wallet hates you, Kevin.

BEERchitect, drfabulous and KYGunner like this.
  11. drfabulous

Too bad you weren't with me. I would have split a bottle with you. But it was 2pm and I didn't feel it was appropriate to sit and drink a bottle by myself....

BEERchitect and TheBeerAlmanac like this.
  12. TheBeerAlmanac

I feel you, I'm the exact same way. Until I have 4 bottles by myself, then a bottle doesn't seem so bad.

13. drfabulous

Some insane beers hitting town today including new Prairies and Prairie Bomb!, Local Option bottles, and the Hill Farmstead/ Grassroots Arctic Saison.

14. TheBeerAlmanac

Country Boy's coffee amber was excellent, if Local Option's version is anything like that I'll be happy. I grabbed a bottle.

15. drfabulous

Btw that Dark Horse Smells Like a Safety Meeting was on at Country Boy yesterday. Very tasty. It used to be called Smells Like Weed, or something like that.

16. Jake_Ramrod

Jake_Ramrod Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2013 Kentucky

Where?

17. drfabulous

I bought mine at The Beer Trappe. But on Facebook, I see Shenanigans got some of this today, too.

18. TheBeerAlmanac

I had to read this like 8 times before I realized the majority of the first sentence was a beer name.

BEERchitect likes this.
  19. drfabulous

Ha. Yes, it is. Another interesting sighting yesterday was the Upright Four now at Trappe. A little bit of Portland in Kentucky...

20. Jake_Ramrod

Jesus, the Beer Trappe was busy tonight. I hope Kevin walked out like Mr. Scrooge.

BEERchitect likes this.
  21. Shagator

Shagator Aspirant (225) Mar 17, 2012 Kentucky

Shenanigans has a lot of the new stuff. I bought one of the bombs and a witchshark and a few others.

Whos all going to the fest of ales?

22. Jake_Ramrod

I'm going to the fest. Does anybody know when they will announce the actual beers that will be available?

23. drfabulous

Going to the Fest.

24. CurtisMcArthur

CurtisMcArthur Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2009 Tennessee

Just saw this thread.........WOW~! been going on since Feb? Haha!

I skipped to the end, but anyways......I will be at the Fest of Ales on Friday reppin' for SweetWater. We'll have a keg of our Dank Tank: The Price Is Wrong - Belgian Strong Pale Ale on tap (tapping at 7:10 I believe) as well as our usual 420, IPA, and Blue.

Please come by and say hi!

Cheers!

25. TheBeerAlmanac

For everyone's information, I just popped a bottle of the Local Option Morning Wood Coffee Amber and it's incredible. There's something about that style that makes it like the peanut butter and jelly of beer. If you are a coffee person, you HAVE to try at least one bottle. And on a separate note, it has one of the most disturbingly fucked up labels I've ever seen on a beer.

BeerDrinkEER likes this.
  26. erichall

erichall Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2008 Kentucky

When will the rest of the state get sweetwater? Have heard some rumblings of negotiations from other distributors but nothing set yet.

Eta? Oskar blues just landed in entire state.

27. Shagator

When did Oskar Blue go statewide? Have been holding on to some ten fiddy

28. SPLITGRIN

SPLITGRIN Poo-Bah (1,969) May 13, 2003 Kentucky
    Society Trader

Come on down to Somerset we have plenty of good stuff. All the Oskar Blues, full line of Sweetwater, Great lakes Octoberfest, Stone 17th and Woot stout to name a few.

29. Shagator

So I had fun at Fest of Ales, but I think they need to look at bringing in beers that arent available in the area. What do you all think? The special tappings werent that special.

30. drfabulous

The Fest was fun. I sampled beers new to me. But I didn't go expecting rare beers or special releases. It would be nice to see a special event for the nerds, and the distributors/breweries could roll out some stuff for that. The Three Floyds selection was probably the most disappointing since it's the stuff we normally see. I'm sure some bars around town have better kegs in their cooler than some of the beer that was put out. But overall, I thought things ran smoothly. Country Boy's tapping ran out in 15 mins! That was something. And I bet a lot of people were exposed to beer that they didn't know existed. My only other critique would be more food trucks. The food presence was very minimal given the number of trucks we have in Lexington.

31. TheBeerAlmanac

What did CB tap?

32. drfabulous

Barreled black gold porter with cocoa nibs. It's also on tap at the brewery. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to sample it there at some point soon.

33. Jake_Ramrod

I really liked the Country Boy tapping. One of my favorites of the night. The special tappings certainly could have been a little more "special", but overall I had a blast.

34. Shagator

Im not saying I didnt enjoy it, but I think there are several things that would improve it. I tried several different beers, including the black pepper ale which I actually enjoyed in small doses. The Three Floyds dissapointed me the most, considering I had Zombie Dust at Beer Works beforehand and Alpha King at The Village Idiot afterwards. With that being said, I will go again next year. My wife really enjoys it because she tries new things that she wouldnt drink normally. The coconut porter, North Coast and the radlers were her favorite. I think they need to:

Move to a new venue. Way too hot and way too many people. Many of which were not there for the fest
    More food trucks. Or any food trucks for that matter. We left early because we were hungry
    Water other than the initial bottle
    Have beers that are better from the breweries. Schlafly, and Oskar Blues were very disappointing as well.

35. drfabulous

ATG Kentucky Ryed Chiquen with feathers and a batch of Prairie Bomb are at LB Beaumont right now. And I see on Facebook, ATG is at Trappe as well.

36. BeerDrinkEER

BeerDrinkEER Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2012 Kentucky

The Oracle also at LB Beaumont

37. McAttitude

McAttitude Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2013 Pennsylvania

Hey I am new to this site but not new to beer! I live outside of Philly and will be visiting family in Harrodsburg during Thanksgiving. I was wondering if anyone would like to trade for some PA craft brews? Troeggs? Victory? Not sure what ya'll get anymore! This could turn into a regular trade because I visit 2-3 times a year.

38. drfabulous

If you bring Tired Hands, I'll trade with you.

39. drfabulous

btw, not that West Sixth needed help, but Smithtown is an awesome addition next door. That is some tasty fried fish that goes perfectly well with a Mosaic or last night's Mint Chocolate Stout.

40. tronto

tronto Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2010 Kentucky

fried fish and mint chocolate stout? hmmm. :wink:

TheBeerAlmanac and eyeenjoybeer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.