Light Whale Fantasy Baseball League sign up

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by ejyoung, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrWalterWhite

DrWalterWhite Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2012 Illinois

I like the way it is now. If you take Pujols for $40 and his value plateaus, then you can get him for $40 in next year's auction.

2. ejyoung

ejyoung Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2005 Arizona

So in that case you wouldn't keep him and then just go for him next year in the draft if you wanted him. We did discuss the keeper rule for awhile before coming up with what we have. I think we just go with what is listed.

3. DStoked

DStoked Initiate (152) Sep 28, 2011 Ohio
    Trader

Again, I'm fine with keeping it as is, but I can't help but point out that that's the point of a keeper league...if I have a guy on my roster I should be able to keep him with some benefit to me.

4. DStoked

Trader

I was kind of a late entry into this league, so stop me if I'm opening a can of worms that has already been closed (or emptied, or whatever), but would anyone else prefer points instead of categories?

FYI, a points league awards points for various accumulated stats. It would still be H2H. To illustrate the difference, if you had a bunch of guys that hit HRs and nothing else, you might win the HRs category in a given week by 30 HRs, but the margin of victory would be worthless to you, whereas in a points league each of those HRs would be valuable to your overall weekly points and would compensate for, say, low SB totals.

The difference, I suppose, is that categories calls for a more balanced team and perhaps therefore more strategy, whereas points rewards having the best collection of productive players.

Again, fine with how it is, just throwing it out there.

5. Duffman929

Duffman929 Initiate (167) Nov 27, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

I think rules need to be set and be done with so that we can develop a draft strategy. Closing in on a day and still debating what to do makes it more challenging to prep. EJ, just tell us what is decided and we will go from there.

6. ejyoung

Let's do it how we have it now. You are right, it is a little close to draft time.

7. DrWalterWhite

DrWalterWhite Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2012 Illinois

One thing that needs to be decided is how we're handling playoffs and prizes now that there are 12 teams. Are we expanding the playoffs? Awarding a prize for third place? I have no strong preference here but we should figure it out before the draft.

8. Duffman929

Trader

I say best record of regular season should win something and then 1st and 2nd place of playoffs over 3rd place in playoffs, if I had to vote.

Since there will be 24 bottles total with 3 potential winners (18 bottles available), one way can be: playoff winner should get first choice of 5 bottles, second place gets next choice of 3, and then reg. season winner gets choice one--then repeat. Another way is winner gets first 10, second gets 6, and reg season winner gets remaining 2. If the reg season winner is also the champ or second place, then 20 bottles, not 18 bottles can get split up.

If we want to do third place in playoffs, then we would just have to choose from one of the first 2 options and don't worry about regular season. There may be other better ideas, so toss them out there. This is just what popped in my head first.

9. jh1982

jh1982 Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2004 Nevada

I vote for everyone putting up 1 box (2 beers) and then have winners draft at the end. Also, with 12 people i like the idea of spreading out the winnings a little bit to keep things fun.

maybe something along the lines of:
    playoff champ - 5 boxes
    regular season champ - 3 boxes
    2nd playoffs - 3 boxes
    consolation bracket winner (3rd playoffs)- 1 box

10. ejyoung

Right, both beers that people put up with go together. This cuts down on the shipping a bit. And we will do a draft at the end. Everyone will ship their beer to someone - at least in the football league we didn't allow winners to pick their own boxes.

I like jh's suggestion:

playoff champ - 5 boxes
    regular season champ - 3 boxes
    2nd playoffs - 3 boxes
    consolation bracket winner (3rd playoffs)- 1 box

That being said, I think now that we have 12 teams we should do 6 spots in the playoffs with 1 week match ups. Does that work?

11. jh1982

jh1982 Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2004 Nevada

i like the idea of expanding playoffs..........keeps more teams interested thoughout the season. Also, i noticed there are byes set up............ is this normal for h2h baseball leagues?

12. ejyoung

Nope, something must have got messed up when I added the two extra teams. I'll take a look at it.

13. ejyoung

Okay, think that should be fixed. I have the regular season ending Sept 2nd with three weeks of playoffs.

14. ejyoung

I did change the draft time to 3pm as well as we talked about.

15. Phoptos

Phoptos Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2011 Massachusetts

So this is what we have?

Preseason dollar amount for a waiver wire player. If you draft a player and want to keep them, you will add $3 to the previous year price. It sounds like using $100 for keepers for next year with this pricing would be a good way to do it. The trade rule sounds good to me too. This is what I will plan on for keepers.

Thanks for all the work EJ. Can't wait...when are we posting the beers?

16. ejyoung

That's what we have. I will post the beers on the espn league page soon. Waiting on hearing from our new members.

17. ejyoung

I posted the beer list on the league page. Let me know what you all think.

18. ejyoung

Shoot, I kept thinking the other league draft was at 10am my time tomorrow, but it is at 11am. So that's only an hour before our draft. I know we have a couple people in both leagues. Is everyone okay with that? It might overlap a little.

19. Duffman929

Trader

The other league is 1 PM CST. Ours is 3 PM CST. 2 hours for a snake style draft is plenty of time. We will be fine. Plus, they are on different sites, so we can toggle back for a few mins if we have to do so.

20. Duffman929

Trader

I just noticed it was 3 PM EST, which means that you are correct with only 1 hour. Guess anyone who is in both leagues will have to toggle back and forth.

21. ejyoung

There might just be three of us - you, me, and juhl. Think we can manage? I have a second computer I could use for a bit.

22. DStoked

Trader

Can we agree to confine our discussions to the league home page from now on? I'd prefer not to have to check 2 different places to stay in the loop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.