limited distribution / hype

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by B33R501, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B33R501

B33R501 Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania

sorry but i cant not say this, and will not be responding but will enjoy all the funny (or nasty) responses until this thread is closed. so happy friday all! enjoy!

of course this is KBS im referring to.

first of all big props to craft ale house limerick pa for having this, not publicizing it, ok its available for sit in only, so ill sit in. nice mellow quiet thursday after work. no fuss, no hysteria, no line, especially no line, no sold out in 10 minutes, just the way it should be, yes ive said it before. call me hypehater1.

and now that we're on that subject, im glad i tried it, this beer is very good but way overhyped. another overhyped beer from the most overrated brewery on this planet, and not one ill need to seek out again.

my recommedation would be make it thicker, more available, and in 4 paks everywhere and i would get one every year. but i wont have one again until that happens.

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

I like the hype personally, I find it exciting calling around seeing who has it, then going there and picking it up and the clerk keeps it in the bag while scanning so other customers in the store don't see it.

There is something to be said for exclusivity. Makes your drinking experience a little more fulfilling when you bag a "rare" brew.

3. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2010 Michigan

To provide a counterpoint, I did a tasting a few weeks back that featured Bourbon County Brand Stout, KBS, Black Note, and Czar Jack, the latter two being far more hyped than KBS, IMO, so naturally I went in with big expectations for both of them. However, I found that KBS was easily a better beer (though not quite on par with BCBS for me!), which honestly shocked me because I'm not the hugest KBS fan to begin with.

There's this thing called personal preference that a lot of BAs, not only yourself, seem to struggle to understand. I know it's shocking, but some people, perhaps even the majority of them, have different tastes from yours. It's kind of ridiculous to dismiss any beer or brewery (especially a beer with almost 2000 reviews :astonished:) as being overrated simply because you personally don't prefer the taste. I would argue that any beer with several hundred reviews is most definitely ranked exactly where it should be. If you wanted to start talking about beers with fewer reviews, then I might agree, but if "fighting the hype" is your quest, this is just not the right beer for the cause.

szmnnl99 and nrs207 like this.
  4. camil1mj

camil1mj Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2010 Michigan

It's fine that you want to bash KBS and Founders. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, next time you go off could you please use some capital letters? It just makes your post look terrible, especially with it being so long.

5. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2010 Indiana

Terrible thread is terrible.

coreyfmcdonald, Hanzo and MarkIntihar like this.
  6. celticfutblclub

celticfutblclub Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 Massachusetts

capital letters are so overhyped :wink:

7. Beefytits4

Beefytits4 Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2011 Illinois

I wish there were a lot more people like you. Maybe then I could get more KBS, CBS, FBS and Double Trouble.:wink:

8. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2012 Virginia

I agree with some of what you said except for Founders being over rated. Almost every beer I have tried from them is quality. But aside from that I think the hype has gone a little too far. The first year Bells Hopslam was available in my area there was more than enough to go around. Then it got hyped online and now it sells out in an hour. Personally I think it is a good beer. But there are beers I can find every day that I enjoy more. The only thing that bothers me with the hype is the people who try to profit off of it. The jerk who buys up as much as they can and then trys to sell it online for profit. Unfortunatley websites like this and people like us create this hype. But if it bothers you so much just ignore the hype and drink the hundreds of other good beers available every day.

9. Gosox8787

Gosox8787 Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2009 New Hampshire

I don't get your disdain for the stores that try to sell their product. At least that's how I interpreted that part of the post. Selling beer is how they make money. If they have something limited and want to generate some hype and get some new customers, I find it hard to fault them at all.

10. DevilsCups

DevilsCups Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2010 New York
    Trader

Over-hyped? Everything they make is solid, for the most part. Many of the best beers I've ever had came from Founders.

Well your recommendation is probably something that isn't a possibility. There are only so many bourbon barrels, so much space to store them and so much time to brew it. Making a $7 beer your flagship beer is not a smart business choice.

Sounds like you're a bit miffed about limited availability and feeling a sense of entitlement. It's a pain in the ass sometimes to track down KBS for me in NY, but I go through with it because I love it. If they're such an over-rated brewery, why do you care if they expand production?

arniepnminne likes this.
  11. bleakies

bleakies Maven (1,331) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Some people like the hunt for rare brews and the thrill of the release-day chase.

Others don't care about that and would rather opt for what's conveniently accessible.

There are so many quality brews these days that both groups run the risk of satisfaction.

12. B33R501

B33R501 Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania

ok just the one response ... i call them overrated because ive tried their regular available beers and never had a repeat purchase. that makes my opinion, overrated. dont you read, i had KBS said it was very good, and also said i would purchase a 4 pak, maybe even 2 every year. funny, central waters managed to make enough i was able to walk in the store, grab 2 4 paks without any trouble. so dont tell me its not possible.

and for anyone who wonders why i dont like this brewery, ill just say it has to do with a response i got from the owner via email last year that included a smart ass response from one of his employees. well, lets just say next time he'll be more careful with his emails and what he lets someone see. and next time he'll be ALOT more careful with who he tries to tell, and act like BMOC (hehe there you go for anyone who doesnt like my small caps) im just not the person you want to try to tell what's what. been around too long and treat everyone and their opinions with respect, until you cross me.

that being said i do not allow my personal opinion of an idiot to sway my opinion of a beer. like i said its very good.
    my dislike of limited distribution, is i have no problem with being a small operation. if thats you want, do it, and dont bother shipping limited quantities. keep it local. perfect example, last year port brewing (along with weyerbacher my other favorite brewery) only made enough Hop 15 (more caps) for local distro. I was dissapointed, emailed the brewer, and was treated with the utmost respect and consideration. (of course they know im a fan, but id like to think their response would have been just as nice if i wasnt a fan). and now their making enough Hop 15 for their regular distribution.

so have a nice day everyone. late.

13. camil1mj

camil1mj Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2010 Michigan

Capitalizing the abbreviation for Big Man on Campus and the name of a few beers doesn't make up for how terrible the rest of your post looks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.