Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Little Bro's 21st Birthday in DC

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by mkpa, Apr 10, 2013.

1. mkpa

Surprising my little bro with a trip to the Cap's game on the 27th. We will be staying somewhere within walking distance of the Verizon Center, and I'm looking for something cool to do after the game (7pm start). We are getting the all you can eat/drink tickets for the game, so we will already be full and relatively well lubricated (albeit off of whatever BMC they serve), and my dad is coming too, so it can't be anything toooo rowdy (though a little rowdy is OK). Mainly looking for a cool, laid back spot with good music and good beers.

Suggestions?

2. starrdogg

Beer Trader

Everyone's going to suggest RFD, since it's the obvious choice after a Caps' game, but I'm not a huge fan of the place. The food is awful and it's completely devoid of atmosphere. District of Pi Pizzeria (at 9th and F) is a totally underrated spot with great beer and it's open until midnight on the weekends. This place seems to be flying totally under the radar, and the wait staff isn't super beer-savvy, but the beers are awesome.

siege06nd and 1up like this.
  3. 1up

1up

Iron Horse my man.

Jeffreysan and mdfb79 like this.
  4. dhartogs

Beer Trader

I second this post.

5. mdfb79

Beer Trader

Iron Horse is pretty cool...good beers on tap, you can bring in food, shuffleboard downstairs. It'll get crowded, but most bars will be on a Saturday night after a Caps/Wizards game. Probably my favorite spot in that area.

RFD is probably your best bet, especially if you can get a table. It is basically a big sports bar, but it has 30-40 beers on tap and 200-300 bottles. They will be missing some stuff on the bottle list, but prices aren't terrible for DC, and you have a lot of options. Food is not great but since you're eating a lot at the game that shouldn't matter too much. I've found out of towners like that place as they have a lot of beer options and it's a sports bar type atmosphere.

Disctrict Chophouse is a minute walk from the Verizon Center. They brew their own beer; nothing extraordinary, but solid beers and better than BMC stuff.

6. Jeffreysan

Beer Trader

I totally second Iron Horse!

7. starrdogg

Beer Trader

Iron Horse will inevitably be insanely packed after a Caps game, especially on a weekend. The beer there is okay, but nothing great. If that's your scene, more power to you, but I tend to stay away from Iron Horse.

8. 1up

1up

Unfortunately there aren't too many great beer places in Gallery Place. Iron Horse and RFD are all I can think of. Suggest something better in that area.

9. starrdogg

Beer Trader

I did! District of Pi (see above).

10. 1up

1up

Ah sorry, yeah that's a good one too

11. TheFunGuy

In addition to the above:

There is a nice looking Gordon Biersch about three minutes away by foot.

Matchbox has a decent selection and great sliders and pizza.

If you want rum drinks instead, Cuba Libere has good music

12. nimbleprop

Beer Trader

This. The tap list is decent, there will be a good crowd and it will get a little rowdy, but not too rowdy.

13. 1up

1up

They have table top shuffleboard, skee ball, photo hunt and other stuff? Something to enjoy your beer with.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe