Local beer thoughts

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by xBeer, Mar 2, 2013.

1. xBeer

xBeer Mar 10, 2011 Minnesota

So once again I am in the burbs visiting my wife's family. Specifically, Oak Lawn and Orlando Park area. I have really enjoyed picking up different Revolution options when visiting. I was not impressed with 5 Rabbit. Half Acre is great of course, but not really available out here. I have not tried Chicago Brewing and I am guilty of judging a book by it's cover, but I am not too exited about trying it. Are there any other local options that I should seek out? Probably not going to have time to hit up any tap rooms.

2. burica2020

burica2020 Nov 17, 2009 Illinois

one word - Pipeworks. Should be able to find a fair amount at orland binnys.

HighWine likes this.
  3. xBeer

Any and all from them?

4. burica2020

they're pretty much all good, its essentially what styles do you like. Anything with the word ninja or unicorn or both on the label are pretty damn good if your into hops. coffee abduction, coffee stout's one of my fav's. They got berliner weiss's if your into slightly sour beers, last kiss if you like a great heavy scotch ale, end of days which I love and some hate, etc etc etc. S

hit put a blindfold on, reach onto the pipeworks shelf and grab three random ones, you'll be pleased.

5. xBeer

I am excited to try Pipeworks! One of these trips to visit I should bring some MN beer to swap with the locals.

6. tvaughn

tvaughn Feb 27, 2013 Michigan

My wife is from that area and I don't know about unique bottled beers but if you're going out for food I've always liked going to Rock Bottom. Good beers and food. I tried Granite City a few weeks ago and thought it was decent, though a little watered down.

7. xBeer

We have both of those in MN. There is another brew pub near those two that I wasn't too impressed with either. Especially the XXX IPA. Terrible. Tried going to Tribes, but the 100k people there prevented that from happening. Ended up at Blarney Stone. That had a good selection. Probably going to Deja Brew tonight.

8. burica2020

flossmoor station or three floyds is an option too. If you have a car there is another tribes alehouse a little further down the road.

9. ChefBergo

ChefBergo Nov 9, 2011 Illinois

Have to agree with the Pipeworks comment, so many good brews from them it's more like just trying to find one for the styles you enjoy. Abduction and Coffee Abduction are phenomenal imperial stouts. The Coffee Abduction had a huge roasted nose more reminiscent of iced coffee than beer but a few sips and you get the coffee up-front followed by some citrus notes on the back-end, really well done.

10. xBeer

They didn't have any of the double IPA's so I grabbed the scotch ale and Berliner Weiss. Had a tough time choosing between the regular and raspberry version. Went regular. Had to grab some Firestone Walker and Uinta too!

11. mecummins

mecummins Nov 16, 2012 Illinois

See if Begyle Brewery is sold out there. They're relatively new, but I've been very impressed by what they're putting out.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe