Local New Orleans beers for out of towner.....

Discussion in 'South' started by Giantspace, May 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Giantspace

Giantspace Zealot (502) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Howdy,

Might have a chance to have someone driving to NO bring me back some beer in about a month. I am in Philly and looking for suggestions on local beers that are worth getting. Must be pretty easy to find as I will not ask anyone to hunt beer down while they are on vacation. I like most styles. No scotch ales, brown ales or pumpkin type spiced. Like wild ales, IPA, Pale ale, Sours etc. Any suggestions will be great.

Thanx

2. ZethOfTheNorth

ZethOfTheNorth Devotee (404) Jan 31, 2012 Louisiana

Our best local beers (NOLA Mechahopzilla & Flambeau Red, Parish Farmhouse IPA) aren't canned or bottled.

But Parish Grand Reserve, a very good barleywine, is still kicking around Rouses. And St. Arnold Endeavour is Texas but that's a fantastic DIPA you can easily find here. Not sure anything else is really worth the trouble for someone from Philly.

3. tbryan5

tbryan5 Meyvn (1,216) Sep 22, 2012 Louisiana
    Beer Trader

The Parish Farmhouse IPA is in a 750 ml bottle. Got mine today at mathernes in baton rouge for about $13. I heard it was good and that isn't bad for a decent 750. I'm sure steins will be getting theirs soon.

4. Giantspace

Thanx

5. Giantspace

Thanx

6. ZethOfTheNorth

ZethOfTheNorth Devotee (404) Jan 31, 2012 Louisiana

Following up on tbryan5, Farmhouse IPA is now everywhere in New Orleans also.

7. RedJim

RedJim Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2008 Louisiana

NOLA Mechahopzilla should be canned by the time you arrive in early June.
    As for Parish farmhouse, I highly doubt there'll be any left.

8. thestupidpunk

thestupidpunk Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2013 New York

I'm heading to New Orleans next week and will be stopping by a few stores to pick up some locals. Specifically looking for cans of Mechahopzilla. Do you know if they are available now?

Also any suggestions on what I should pick up and lug back home to NY are available in shelves now? I'm open to just about any styles.

9. cfaulman

cfaulman Disciple (314) May 1, 2013 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I have seen mechahopzilla at Whole Foods in uptown New Orleans. If you can find some Bayou Teche Cocodrie in bottles Id get a few; quite good.

thestupidpunk likes this.
  10. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,014) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Stein's had a shitton of Mechahopzilla 4-packs last time I was there about two weeks ago. Should still be some left.

11. Mikecap

Mikecap Champion (839) May 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Most Rouse's supermarkets carry Mechahopzilla too, you should have no problem grabbing some. Hopitoulas isn't half bad either if you want to grab that. I'd recommend trying some Lazy Magnolia too, Timber Beast and Backwoods Belgian are both solid offerings

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.