Scandinavia Local Swedish Beer

Discussion in 'Europe' started by dburris, Sep 1, 2013.

1. dburris

dburris Jul 1, 2013 North Carolina

Hi all, I'm a North Carolinian who is spending the semester studying in Lund, Sweden. I'm a big fan of beer and I'm missing the good local beers in NC, so anybody have suggestions on beer to try here? Doesn't have to be local to Lund or even Sweden, just Scandinavian in general. I like all styles. I'm on a bit of a budget, being a college student, but I'm willing to spend a bit extra to try some new stuff! I don't know a whole lot about Scandinavian beer.

2. Crusader

Crusader Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

My suggestions to questions such as these tend to run along the lines of: Nils Oscar, Oppigårds, Jämtlands (their lager beers, I don't like their ales). Those are three Swedish craft breweries which produce alot of tasty beers, though none that will surpass American craft breweries in intensity of flavors or anything like that. If you're new to craft beer they will probably suit your fancy, if you've grown tired of Heady Topper they will do nothing for you. As a wild card I'd suggest the lager beers brewed by Spendrups, the second largest macro brewery in Sweden, they brew Norrlands Guld Export, Mariestads Export, Pistonhead Kustom Lager, Spendrups Premium Lager, Gotlands Bryggeri Wisby Pils. Those are all macro lager beers from a Swedish macro brewery, but they are comparably cheap and in my opinion really tasty if you can appreciate tasty lager beer.

ManforallSaisons likes this.
  3. Etiam

Etiam Oct 2, 2010 Illinois

Bra! Vad gör du där i Sverige?

Your best (and, alas, only) friend in this case will be the Systembolaget website. As you're like well aware by now, options for sale are limited in stores, but at least the Systemet website is well-run and generally accurate. You can pick your store (that on Traktorvägen seems to be Lund's largest?) and then set all kinds of filters for what results you want. Naturally, 'ljus lager' will still dominate, but more varieties are finding their way onto the shelves and each month has new releases.

Nils Oscar and Oppigårds are both good suggestions for fairly affordable, available, and quality Swedish brews. Some smaller outfits are developing quite interesting things as well (Beerbliotek, Pang Pang, Omnipollo), but finding these in Systemet stores is unlikely. Another cheaper but decent brand would be S:t Eriks. It was (re)launched by Galatea (a large beverage distributor in Sweden) and thus is something of a 'house brand', but the brews are decent and the bottles rather charming.

Of course, you are in Lund, so perhaps you could just pop over to Copenhagen when you need a fix....

Crusader likes this.
  4. Dennoman

Dennoman Aug 20, 2011 Belgium

If the stuff I tried in Stockholm last weekend was anything to go by, Brekeriet knocks it out of the park man. Lovely sours mostly.

5. Pundarquartis

Pundarquartis Mar 13, 2010 Denmark

Yup, in my opinion the very best Swedish brewery at the moment.

They can be found in Systembolaget Hansacompagniet, Entré and Staffanstorp, the two first are in Malmö and the last is on the countryside close to the brewery. In all of these you should at least find their Saison and "Funkstarter".

Apart from that, go with Malmö Brygghus, Oppigårds, Nils Oscar, St Eriks, Jämtlands and the other ones Etiam named. Systembolaget's website is your friend.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe