Lone Star Bock

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Lutter, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Lutter

Lutter Jun 30, 2010 Texas

Who else is excited about this New Release?

[​IMG]
    I wonder if this is going to be the same as their Natural Bock from the 90s or a direct clone of Shiner/Ziegen at $3.99/6-pack? Anyone try this yet?

2. squirrely2005

squirrely2005 Aug 26, 2011 Texas

I like lonestar. I guess I'll try it just to try it.

3. jl28r1

jl28r1 Jan 10, 2011 Texas

I'll give it a try.

4. obrike

obrike Jun 19, 2009 Texas

Why the hell not. I dig the label.

5. soultrain19

soultrain19 Feb 28, 2008 Texas

I believe it will be released in November. And yes, I will try it.

6. jbeezification

jbeezification Jun 6, 2012 Texas

If somebody hands me one, as in free, and I dont have something else in my hand already, then i guess I might give it a try.

7. squirrely2005

I'll buy a 6 pack when I feel like getting drunk for cheap.

8. gtermi

gtermi Apr 21, 2010 Texas

Yeah I will for sure try this out. I won't expect nothing great, but I would love to have a cheap alternative.

9. brewrider

brewrider Oct 14, 2012

Interesting...I like the price.

10. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Apr 11, 2012 Texas

THROWBACK! That's old school!

11. HopAG

HopAG Sep 22, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

For that price I will give it a go! If its any good I might make it tailgating beer.

12. HardTarget

HardTarget Mar 8, 2003 Texas
    Subscriber

As I recall, when Shiner changed their Bock back in the 90s (watered it down and raised the price: worked like a charm), Lone Star brewed the original recipe, or something pretty close to it as their Natural Bock.
    I'll be looking for this one.

13. galvetraz

galvetraz Sep 7, 2009 Texas

I wondered if Shiner Bock changed but never really paid attention. It was my go to beer all through college in the 80's because it was cheap all over Austin and just something other than BMC. I have had a handful over the years since and it never tasted the way I remembered. I just chalked it up to changing taste and me drinking more craft.

14. Ford

Ford Sep 8, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Didn't Shiner just win a gold medal for their regular Bock beer... had one on tap the other day... still a great beer in my opinion. I'll give this a try as I'm a fan of the style.

15. HopAG

HopAG Sep 22, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Yup won in GABF

16. BlindSalimander

BlindSalimander Aug 16, 2010 Texas

But they entered it in the Dark Lager category because it is nowhere near a bock.

HopAG likes this.
  17. squirrely2005

I've never really liked Shiner. I was real excited to try it and I guess it was sort of my first "craft" beer. Didn't really care for it.

18. Ford

Ford Sep 8, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Shiner isn't my go to... if there some crafts around for me to try.... but I still like it... and I've been impressed with some of their other beers in recent years.

I kept passing their Oktoberfest up for others.. finally tried it the other day and really liked it more than several small craft companies take.

brewrider likes this.
  19. brewrider

brewrider Oct 14, 2012

I agree. I think their Oktoberfest is as good as anyone's. Shiner knows lagers. A lot of smaller craft breweries won't even attempt a lager. I think Shiner's Black Lager is good. Some of their anniversary brews have been pretty decent. Some were so-so, but I really dug Shiner 100 "Centennial Ale". Not really sure what style it was supposed to be, but it was damn tasty and really drinkable. It seemed really under-appreciated to me.

20. BlindSalimander

BlindSalimander Aug 16, 2010 Texas

Shiner 100 Commemorator was a Dopplebock. It was very good.

21. brewrider

brewrider Oct 14, 2012

Interesting. My bottles of Shiner 100 had dopplebock nowhere on the labels or on any of the packaging. It only said "Centennial Ale".

Maybe the first few runs of it did? I know that some BA reviews labeled it as a dopplebock, which confused me as I examined the labels looking for anything that described it as such. Understandably, it was knocked for not being quite up to style guidelines for a dopplebock, but I don't know where they got the idea that it was a dopplebock. My guess is that Shiner must have changed the labeling before I got a hold of it.

Anyway, as for me not expecting Salvator, I thought it was fantastic. I would probably be upset if I thought I was getting an authentic dopplebock. Style geekery aside, I wish they'd make it a regular.

22. Ford

Ford Sep 8, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Off Topic... what was Shiner 101? I thought that was a great beer.

23. brewrider

brewrider Oct 14, 2012

That one was a Czech style Pils. Very good in my opinion.

Now 102, the double wheat lager, I didn't care for so much...

24. Ford

Ford Sep 8, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Yeah I didn't like 102.. but I rarely like wheat beers anyway.

25. zbooks

zbooks Mar 20, 2011 Texas
    Subscriber

I tried the Lone Star Bock Saturday. Mediocre at best. Shiner Bock is world's ahead and even Ziegenbock is vastly superior.

26. zbooks

zbooks Mar 20, 2011 Texas
    Subscriber

I tried the Lone Star Bock Saturday. Mediocre at best. Shiner Bock is world's ahead and even Ziegenbock is vastly superior. Disappointment. Maybe you'll have a different opinion.

27. DanzBorin

I think Zeigenbock is better than Shiner not-a-bock.

blatherbeard likes this.
  28. r0nburgundy69

r0nburgundy69 Jan 27, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

if it's a 1-2 dollars at bars like regular lonestar it will become a staple if its halfway decent

Ford likes this.
  29. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Sep 30, 2007 Texas

Ya know, i dig shiner bock but ive always had this thought in my head. "shiner BOCK??!?!?!?" lol

30. Ford

Ford Sep 8, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

I like Shiner on tap better than Ziegen... Gordon Street Tavern in Alvin has the LoneStar Bock on tap... I haven't been in yet and don't know the price for a pint.

31. DanzBorin

Shiner on tap was magnificent at Ernie's on Banks. Unfortunately they turned into Grand Prize. :(

32. HopAG

HopAG Sep 22, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

I had a pitcher of Shiner with some friends at little Woodrows (6 dollars for a pitcher ain't too bad).

The only thing that I could think about while doing it was how much it tasted like dark rice water....
    How much rice is used brewing this? Does it even have rice?

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME!

33. HardTarget

HardTarget Mar 8, 2003 Texas
    Subscriber

Finally got around to trying one. Not bad, not great. I did get some of the 'old' Shiner Bock flavor out of it though.

34. Ford

Ford Sep 8, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Saw several people order this at Gordon Street Tavern in Alvin this evening. I only had time for one pint, so I went with Karbach Yule Shoot Your Eye Out.. and glad I did...for $3.50!

35. AHood

AHood Nov 28, 2012 Texas

It's coming in at my store this week going for $7.99 a 6pk, reps just came in yesterday. I'm interested as Lone Star is my go-to-cheap-bar-beer. I prefer it versus BL, ML or CL. Blech!

I think it is going to do pretty well as long as it's decent. It's going right next to Ziegen in my window o_O

36. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Sep 30, 2007 Texas

As a definite fan of a cheap goto beer, if its better on par with SB or Ziegen, i definitely need to try it.

......but then again, 7.99 a sixxer for this compared to 8.99 or 9.99 for RA coffee porter, i think id spend, no I KNOW ID SPEND the xtra 2 bucks, as i did tonight lol

37. swellcat

swellcat Mar 24, 2011 Texas

Lone Star caps are pretty.

38. Ford

Ford Sep 8, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

So how many have tried this?

39. Lutter

Lutter Jun 30, 2010 Texas

I get angry when I see this is almost the same price as Shiner.

The guy who orders beer at work informs me that wholesale on these is around $0.90 a bottle, which is more than Bud Light. He's not carrying it.

40. DanzBorin

Net it tastes better than Bud Light. What's wrong with it costing more?

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe